linux-cifs.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
* Mounting share on NetApp using SMB 3.1.1 and encryption
@ 2021-02-19 20:57 Till Dörges
From: Till Dörges @ 2021-02-19 20:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-cifs

Hello everyone,

I'm trying to connect a Linux client to a NetApp server.

The server is running OnTap 9.7P6.

On the client I use:

From: Aurélien Aptel @ 2021-02-22 10:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Till Dörges, linux-cifs

Till Dörges <doerges@pre-sense.de> writes:
> Apart from the security requirements the server uses DFS and nested name spaces.

The nested namespace might be problematic. DFS is tricky.

> So before digging any further, I'm wondering whether this should generally work with
> options "seal,vers=3.1.1", what to make of the ciphers requirement.

I think by default the client will only show support for up to 3.0
unless you ask it to.
So apart from the version, encryption and ciphers should be
auto-negotiated during the connection establishement: the client sends
its feature support, the server replies with its requirement. If the
requirements cannot be met the client will fail.

I believe you should only have to put vers=3.1.1. By putting seal you
are asking the client to make encryption a requirement instead of
letting the server decide.

If you are having issues connecting please refer to the wiki on
reporting cifs.ko bugs for instructions on how to debug things further:

https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Bug_Reporting#cifs.ko

Cheers,
--
Aurélien Aptel / SUSE Labs Samba Team
GPG: 1839 CB5F 9F5B FB9B AA97  8C99 03C8 A49B 521B D5D3

* Re: Mounting share on NetApp using SMB 3.1.1 and encryption
       [not found]     ` <CAH2r5mtL4Q-2g2Mrchz7Y=hXXypMj6R298wjhdO6+o4XUzGBOg@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2021-02-22 17:02       ` Till Dörges
From: Till Dörges @ 2021-02-22 17:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Steve French, Aurélien Aptel; +Cc: linux-cifs

Hello everyone,

@Aurélien, Steve:

Thanks for your answers.

Am 22.02.21 um 17:45 schrieb Steve French:

> LinuxCIFSKernel - SambaWiki
> <https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/LinuxCIFSKernel#Changes_by_release>
>
> for list of when features went in, although many distros backport these
> features to older kernels.

There's been progress. A simple test case (no DFS/nested NS) works fine with 3.1.1
and encryption.

So currently it looks like DFS and/or NS might in deed be the problem.

Since I'm not exactly sure how much has been added/backported to the cifs.ko I'm
using (it reports as version 2.22), I'll try a recent vanilla Linux Kernel.

For version 2.28 the changelog states "Various DFS (global namespace) fixes." Maybe
that already does it.

And if that doesn't work I'll proceed according to
https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/LinuxCIFS_troubleshooting

Thanks again and regards -- Till