linux-cifs.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
* 128 bit uid/gid (UUID) possible?
@ 2024-04-23  9:53 David Mulder
       [not found] ` <54d8dccd-f224-4ad6-875c-774c45f9ba9b@suse.com>
From: David Mulder @ 2024-04-23  9:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-cifs

I'm messaging linux-cifs about this, since it's a relevant topic for the
Samba team (and I'm unsure of the appropriate ml for such a discussion).

What is the possibility of increasing the uid/gid size in the kernel
from 32bits to 128bits? If possible, how large might such a project be?
I imagine it could be quite disruptive, but I'm not sure of all the
implications. My question relates to providing authentication
capabilities for integrating with oauth2 applications, such as Azure,
where the user and group object ids are UUIDs. In SSSD and Samba, we're
currently in discussions about what the id mappings would look like, but
I wonder if we could take a different approach and make the kernel
compatible with larger ids instead?

--
David Mulder
Labs Software Engineer, Samba

* Re: 128 bit uid/gid (UUID) possible?
       [not found] ` <54d8dccd-f224-4ad6-875c-774c45f9ba9b@suse.com>
@ 2024-04-25 19:21   ` Linus Torvalds
From: Linus Torvalds @ 2024-04-25 19:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Mulder; +Cc: linux-cifs

On Thu, 25 Apr 2024 at 12:17, David Mulder <dmulder@suse.com> wrote:

> What is the possibility of increasing the uid/gid size in the kernel from 32bits to 128bits?

Nope.

We don't have user-space interfaces for it (st_uid is 32-bit), and the
pain is not worth any theoretical gain.

                Linus

* Re: 128 bit uid/gid (UUID) possible?
@ 2024-04-25 19:23     ` David Mulder
From: David Mulder @ 2024-04-25 19:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Linus Torvalds; +Cc: linux-cifs

On 4/25/24 1:21 PM, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> On Thu, 25 Apr 2024 at 12:17, David Mulder <dmulder@suse.com> wrote:
>> What is the possibility of increasing the uid/gid size in the kernel from 32bits to 128bits?
> Nope.
>
> We don't have user-space interfaces for it (st_uid is 32-bit), and the
> pain is not worth any theoretical gain.
>
>                  Linus
Ok, thanks. I'll move forward with id mapping.