* am i in the right list?
@ 2014-05-21 18:28 Michael Durkin
From: Michael Durkin @ 2014-05-21 18:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-media

Im looking for support for a Fresco logic FL2000 USB to VGA adapter ...
Is any one already working on this or am i in the wrong list?

Mike KC7NOA

* Re: am i in the right list?
@ 2014-05-21 18:39 ` Antti Palosaari
From: Antti Palosaari @ 2014-05-21 18:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Durkin, linux-media, Hans Verkuil

Moikka

On 05/21/2014 09:28 PM, Michael Durkin wrote:
> Im looking for support for a Fresco logic FL2000 USB to VGA adapter ...
> Is any one already working on this or am i in the wrong list?

List is right AFAIK. In my understanding it should be implement as a
V4L2 device which sends picture, like a analog RV modulator. I am not
sure if there is any existing driver. There is modulator driver for
audio transmitters, though.

Hans Verkuil is correct person to answer that as he known about
everything from V4L2.

regards
Antti

--
http://palosaari.fi/

* Re: am i in the right list?
@ 2014-05-21 18:56 ` Steven Toth
From: Steven Toth @ 2014-05-21 18:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Durkin; +Cc: Linux-Media

> Im looking for support for a Fresco logic FL2000 USB to VGA adapter ...
> Is any one already working on this or am i in the wrong list?

Mike,

This is the right list. I'm not aware of anyone working on drivers for
that chipset.

- Steve

--
Steven Toth - Kernel Labs
http://www.kernellabs.com

* Re: am i in the right list?
@ 2014-05-22 15:35   ` Michael Durkin
From: Michael Durkin @ 2014-05-22 15:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Antti Palosaari; +Cc: linux-media

Should i email Hans Verkuil or would he see this already ?

On Wed, May 21, 2014 at 11:39 AM, Antti Palosaari <crope@iki.fi> wrote:
> Moikka
>

> On 05/21/2014 09:28 PM, Michael Durkin wrote:
>>
>> Im looking for support for a Fresco logic FL2000 USB to VGA adapter ...
>> Is any one already working on this or am i in the wrong list?
>

> List is right AFAIK. In my understanding it should be implement as a V4L2
> device which sends picture, like a analog RV modulator. I am not sure if
> there is any existing driver. There is modulator driver for audio
> transmitters, though.
>
> Hans Verkuil is correct person to answer that as he known about everything
> from V4L2.
>
> regards
> Antti
>
> --
> http://palosaari.fi/

* Re: am i in the right list?
@ 2014-05-22 15:44     ` Steven Toth
From: Steven Toth @ 2014-05-22 15:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Durkin; +Cc: Antti Palosaari, Linux-Media

> Should i email Hans Verkuil or would he see this already ?
> Fresco Logic FL2000 USB to VGA adapter

He would have seen this already.

- Steve

--
Steven Toth - Kernel Labs
http://www.kernellabs.com

* Re: am i in the right list?
@ 2014-05-28  0:18       ` Michael Durkin
From: Michael Durkin @ 2014-05-28  0:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Steven Toth; +Cc: Antti Palosaari, Linux-Media

what's the process tree like when its looked at?

1d5c:2000

On Thu, May 22, 2014 at 8:44 AM, Steven Toth <stoth@kernellabs.com> wrote:
>> Should i email Hans Verkuil or would he see this already ?
>> Fresco Logic FL2000 USB to VGA adapter
>
> He would have seen this already.
>
> - Steve
>
> --
> Steven Toth - Kernel Labs
> http://www.kernellabs.com

* Re: am i in the right list?
@ 2014-05-28 14:29         ` Steven Toth
From: Steven Toth @ 2014-05-28 14:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Durkin; +Cc: Antti Palosaari, Linux-Media

On Tue, May 27, 2014 at 8:18 PM, Michael Durkin <kc7noa@gmail.com> wrote:
> what's the process tree like when its looked at?
>
> 1d5c:2000
>
> On Thu, May 22, 2014 at 8:44 AM, Steven Toth <stoth@kernellabs.com> wrote:
>>> Should i email Hans Verkuil or would he see this already ?
>>> Fresco Logic FL2000 USB to VGA adapter
>>
>> He would have seen this already.

I'm not sure I understand your question but let me take a shot at what
I think you mean. I think you mean, how does a developer someone go
about creating a driver for a new product?

1. They announce their intensions on the mailing-list (here), just to
check that no other developer is actively working the same driver.
This isn't mandatory, but can often avoid cases where multiple people
are working on the same end-goal.

2. Wait a week, anyone interested will likely comment very quickly, if
they are already working on something. If you get little or no
feedback then nobody is working in that area.

3. Assuming nobody is working on it (as in your case), go ahead and
start development - or hire someone to engineer the driver on your
behalf.

:)

--
Steven Toth - Kernel Labs
http://www.kernellabs.com

* Re: am i in the right list?
@ 2014-05-28 15:09           ` Michael Durkin
From: Michael Durkin @ 2014-05-28 15:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Steven Toth; +Cc: Antti Palosaari, Linux-Media

Then i guess it will not be supported any time soon .... its been for
sale for almost a year.
Im a stay at home dad, not a developer. The chance of me paying some
one to write code is next to nill ....

Thank you for the response  ....

On Wed, May 28, 2014 at 7:29 AM, Steven Toth <stoth@kernellabs.com> wrote:
> On Tue, May 27, 2014 at 8:18 PM, Michael Durkin <kc7noa@gmail.com> wrote:
>> what's the process tree like when its looked at?
>>
>> 1d5c:2000

>>> He would have seen this already.
>
> I'm not sure I understand your question but let me take a shot at what
> I think you mean. I think you mean, how does a developer someone go
> about creating a driver for a new product?
>
> 1. They announce their intensions on the mailing-list (here), just to
> check that no other developer is actively working the same driver.
> This isn't mandatory, but can often avoid cases where multiple people
> are working on the same end-goal.
>
> 2. Wait a week, anyone interested will likely comment very quickly, if
> they are already working on something. If you get little or no
> feedback then nobody is working in that area.
>
> 3. Assuming nobody is working on it (as in your case), go ahead and
> start development - or hire someone to engineer the driver on your
> behalf.
>
> :)
>
> --
> Steven Toth - Kernel Labs
> http://www.kernellabs.com
> +1.646.355.8490

* Re: am i in the right list?
@ 2014-05-28 15:45             ` Mauro Carvalho Chehab
From: Mauro Carvalho Chehab @ 2014-05-28 15:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Durkin; +Cc: Steven Toth, Antti Palosaari, Linux-Media

Em Wed, 28 May 2014 08:09:55 -0700
Michael Durkin <kc7noa@gmail.com> escreveu:

> Then i guess it will not be supported any time soon .... its been for
> sale for almost a year.
> Im a stay at home dad, not a developer. The chance of me paying some
> one to write code is next to nill ....
>
> Thank you for the response  ....

Back to your original question, I'm not sure if this is the right ML...
the device you pointed is a VGA adapter? If so, this is not the right
ML. This one is for webcams, TV, capture devices and video out devices.

AFAICT, VGA adapters are handled by Xorg people.