* 3rd posting: em28xx: new board id [1f4d:1abe]
@ 2015-09-06 19:16 Ronald Tallent
From: Ronald Tallent @ 2015-09-06 19:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-media

Hi,

This is my third attempt to post this information to mailing list in a
little over a week. Am I invisible? Can nobody see my messages? I have
precisely followed the instructions posted on
linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/Em28xx_devices#How_to_validate_my_vendor.2Fproduct_id_at_upstream_kernel.3F
trying to get my hardware validated. What else do I need to do?  Can
someone answer please and help me.

Thanks,
--Ronald

I've tested my USB easycap device (Geniatech iGrabber) in Ubuntu
14.04.

Make: Geniatech
Model: iGrabber for MAC
Vendor/Product ID: [1f4d:1abe]
Product website: www.geniatech.com/pa/igrabber.asp

Tests Made:
- Audio Capture [worked]
- Video Capture [device not detected]
- DVB [does not have DVB]

Tested by:
ron@tallent.ws

Detailed information on device and system below for reference:

uname -a:
3.13.0-62-generic #102-Ubuntu SMP Tue Aug 11 14:29:36 UTC 2015 x86_64
x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

dmesg:
[] usb 3-3.3: new high-speed USB device number 8 using xhci_hcd
[] usb 3-3.3: New USB device found, idVendor=1f4d, idProduct=1abe
[] usb 3-3.3: New USB device strings: Mfr=0, Product=1, SerialNumber=0
[] usb 3-3.3: Product: USB Device
[] usbcore: registered new interface driver snd-usb-audio

lsusb:
Bus 003 Device 008: ID 1f4d:1abe G-Tek Electronics Group

Hardware:
Opened the case and found the following text printed on the board:
   HandyCap
   v1.51
   2007-4-24

Three chips on board are:
1: empia
   EM2860
   P8367-010
   201036-01AG

2: Trident
   SAA7113H
   C2P409.00 02
   A5G11152

3: eMPIA
   Technology
   EMP202
   UT11958
   1027

* Re: 3rd posting: em28xx: new board id [1f4d:1abe]
@ 2015-09-06 19:53 ` Mauro Carvalho Chehab
From: Mauro Carvalho Chehab @ 2015-09-06 19:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ronald Tallent; +Cc: linux-media

Hi Ronald,

Well, probably nobody knows what to do with that ;)

If I understood well your post, video didn't work, right?

So, either you or someone else with the same hardware as you have would
need to make it work and send a patch to the mailing list adding support
for this new ID.

Probably, it is just either a GPIO or the video input that it is wrong.
In order to fix it, you would either need some help from the manufacturer
or to sniff the USB message exchanges from the original driver and check
the settings for saa7113 and em28xx. The wiki has some info about how
to do it.

Regards,
Mauro

Em Sun, 06 Sep 2015 14:16:48 -0500
Ronald Tallent <ron@tallent.ws> escreveu:

> Hi,
>
> This is my third attempt to post this information to mailing list in a
> little over a week. Am I invisible? Can nobody see my messages? I have
> precisely followed the instructions posted on
> linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/Em28xx_devices#How_to_validate_my_vendor.2Fproduct_id_at_upstream_kernel.3F
> trying to get my hardware validated. What else do I need to do?  Can
> someone answer please and help me.
>
> Thanks,
> --Ronald
>

> I've tested my USB easycap device (Geniatech iGrabber) in Ubuntu
> 14.04.
>
> Make: Geniatech
> Model: iGrabber for MAC
> Vendor/Product ID: [1f4d:1abe]
> Product website: www.geniatech.com/pa/igrabber.asp
>
> Tests Made:
> - Audio Capture [worked]
> - Video Capture [device not detected]
> - DVB [does not have DVB]
>
> Tested by:
> ron@tallent.ws
>

> Detailed information on device and system below for reference:
>
> uname -a:
> 3.13.0-62-generic #102-Ubuntu SMP Tue Aug 11 14:29:36 UTC 2015 x86_64
> x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
>
> dmesg:
> [] usb 3-3.3: new high-speed USB device number 8 using xhci_hcd
> [] usb 3-3.3: New USB device found, idVendor=1f4d, idProduct=1abe
> [] usb 3-3.3: New USB device strings: Mfr=0, Product=1, SerialNumber=0
> [] usb 3-3.3: Product: USB Device
> [] usbcore: registered new interface driver snd-usb-audio
>
> lsusb:
> Bus 003 Device 008: ID 1f4d:1abe G-Tek Electronics Group
>
> Hardware:
> Opened the case and found the following text printed on the board:
>    HandyCap
>    v1.51
>    2007-4-24
>
> Three chips on board are:
> 1: empia
>    EM2860
>    P8367-010
>    201036-01AG
>
> 2: Trident
>    SAA7113H
>    C2P409.00 02
>    A5G11152
>
> 3: eMPIA
>    Technology
>    EMP202
>    UT11958
>    1027

* Re: Call for help: em28xx: new board id [1f4d:1abe]
@ 2015-09-06 23:58   ` Ronald Tallent
From: Ronald Tallent @ 2015-09-06 23:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mauro Carvalho Chehab; +Cc: linux-media

Hey Mauro,

Thanks for the reply. Relieved to know I'm not invisible. =)

I'm a total noob to linux driver issues, so if I'm  posting this in the
wrong area, please forgive me. I only posted here because this is where
linuxtv.org said to go to ask for help. Until now all my hardware has
just worked. So big thanks to all the people who made that happen! But
this EasyCap board is kind of kicking my butt.

You are correct, when I plug this USB device in video capture device is
not detected and so does not work. As I understand it, all the drivers
needed to make this Easycap work in linux already exist and are used by
various forms of Easycap devices already.

The em2860 USB video bridge chip should be supported by the "em28xx"
kernel modules, and the Trident SAA7115H chip should be supported by the
"saa7115" module. My best guess is that the card vendor:product id
[1f4d:1abe] is simply not "attached" to those drivers or known by those
drivers so when I plug this USB device in, video drivers are not loaded.
But my assessment of the situation might be completely off here.

Couple questions...

First, if nobody know what to do with the information I've posted, why
does linuxtv.org/wiki instruct me to post this information here, exactly
this way? Not a big issue really, just quite confusing.

Secondly, if all the drivers already exist, what do I need to do to get
them to "attach" to my hardware? Is there some place I can go to learn
how to do that fairly quickly? Is anyone in this board knowledgeable
about how that can easily be done? I am competent enough with linux that
I can perform the steps necessary if I know what those steps are. This
is new territory for me though.

Any help anyone can offer would be greatly appreciated! =)

Thanks,
--Ronald

@ 2015-09-07 11:57     ` Mauro Carvalho Chehab
From: Mauro Carvalho Chehab @ 2015-09-07 11:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ronald Tallent; +Cc: linux-media

Em Sun, 06 Sep 2015 18:58:50 -0500
Ronald Tallent <ron@tallent.ws> escreveu:

> Hey Mauro,
>
> Thanks for the reply. Relieved to know I'm not invisible. =)
>
> I'm a total noob to linux driver issues, so if I'm  posting this in the
> wrong area, please forgive me. I only posted here because this is where
> linuxtv.org said to go to ask for help. Until now all my hardware has
> just worked. So big thanks to all the people who made that happen! But
> this EasyCap board is kind of kicking my butt.
>
> You are correct, when I plug this USB device in video capture device is
> not detected and so does not work. As I understand it, all the drivers
> needed to make this Easycap work in linux already exist and are used by
> various forms of Easycap devices already.
>
> The em2860 USB video bridge chip should be supported by the "em28xx"
> kernel modules, and the Trident SAA7115H chip should be supported by the
> "saa7115" module. My best guess is that the card vendor:product id
> [1f4d:1abe] is simply not "attached" to those drivers or known by those
> drivers so when I plug this USB device in, video drivers are not loaded.
> But my assessment of the situation might be completely off here.
>
> Couple questions...
>
> First, if nobody know what to do with the information I've posted, why
> does linuxtv.org/wiki instruct me to post this information here, exactly
> this way? Not a big issue really, just quite confusing.

Feel free to improve the documentation ;)
Just remember that the documentation there should be generic enough for
people having different boards, specially if you're looking into a
generic section of the Wiki.

> Secondly, if all the drivers already exist, what do I need to do to get
> them to "attach" to my hardware?

Because of two things:

- the USB ID is used to identify the driver that will be used. If
  the driver doesn't know the USB ID, it won't be loaded.

- each hardware is wired on a different way. The saa7113 have 4 different
  video inputs (if I remember correctly). Also, there are several pins used
  on most video hardware called GPIO. They're used to power on and reset the
  other devices. The power on/reset sequence is board-specific.

> Is there some place I can go to learn
> how to do that fairly quickly? Is anyone in this board knowledgeable
> about how that can easily be done? I am competent enough with linux that
> I can perform the steps necessary if I know what those steps are. This
> is new territory for me though.

Wiki is your friend. Also look at other posts on the ML from other
people that had to do the same.