* Emulated formats do not allow to use highest FPS of some cameras
@ 2018-04-11 19:51 Ochi
From: Ochi @ 2018-04-11 19:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-media

Hello,

I'm using a Logitech Brio webcam which is able to capture video at 60+
FPS when using MJPEG input format at e.g. 1280x720 pixels, but only up
to 30 FPS when using other formats such as YUYV.

When using the cam with OBS Studio, the MJPEG input format is not
currently supported by OBS so that I tried to choose one of the emulated
formats. However, when using e.g. emulated YU12 or YV12 input formats, I
can only choose up to 30 FPS.

I think that the reason for this is that the automatic ranking of
available input formats by the function "v4lconvert_get_rank" in
"libv4lconvert.c" uses a heuristic to rank formats which disregards
characteristics of a format such as the maximum available FPS. Indeed,
if I lower the rank (in this case lower == better) manually for MJPEG in
said function, I can choose 60 or even 90 FPS in OBS when using one of
the emulated formats.

Do you think a change of the heuristic used in "v4lconvert_get_rank"
would be in order here, or do you have any other advice?

Best Regards
Sebastian

only message in thread, other threads:[~2018-04-11 20:00 UTC | newest]