* PCTV T292e whole DVBT2 mux/Ultra HD performance question
@ 2014-07-09 13:14 Andre Newman
From: Andre Newman @ 2014-07-09 13:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

I’m using a T290e for whole mux DVBT2 capture, using this to record the current BBC World Cup Ultra HD tests, works well. :-)

It seems impossible to buy more T290e’s, everyone want to sell me a T292e, I understand there is a driver now, thanks Antti. I read on Antti’s blog that there is a limit on raw TS performance with the T292, that it didn’t work well with QAM256 because of this...

I am wondering if this is a hardware limit, or a performance problem that may have been resolved now the driver is a little tiny bit more mature?

I am very happy to get a T292e and make some tests, help debug if there is a hope that it can handle 40Mbps in hardware.If there is a hardware limit I’d rather not be stuck with a limited tuner!

The mux I need to record is QAM256 at ~40Mbps and the UHD video is ~36Mbps of this.

Otherwise what other DVBT2 tuners are there that can capture a raw QAM256 mux at 40Mbps?

Andre

* Re: PCTV T292e whole DVBT2 mux/Ultra HD performance question
@ 2014-07-09 19:18 ` Antti Palosaari
From: Antti Palosaari @ 2014-07-09 19:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

Moikka

On 07/09/2014 04:14 PM, Andre Newman wrote:
> I’m using a T290e for whole mux DVBT2 capture, using this to record the current BBC World Cup Ultra HD tests, works well. :-)
>
> It seems impossible to buy more T290e’s, everyone want to sell me a T292e, I understand there is a driver now, thanks Antti. I read on Antti’s blog that there is a limit on raw TS performance with the T292, that it didn’t work well with QAM256 because of this...
>
> I am wondering if this is a hardware limit, or a performance problem that may have been resolved now the driver is a little tiny bit more mature?
>
> I am very happy to get a T292e and make some tests, help debug if there is a hope that it can handle 40Mbps in hardware.If there is a hardware limit I’d rather not be stuck with a limited tuner!
>
> The mux I need to record is QAM256 at ~40Mbps and the UHD video is ~36Mbps of this.
>
> Otherwise what other DVBT2 tuners are there that can capture a raw QAM256 mux at 40Mbps?

You simply confused two different devices. There is no such limit on
PCTV 292e as far as I know. It is another DVB-T2 device having RTL2832P
bridge having problem with stream bandwidth.

regards
Antti

--
http://palosaari.fi/

* Re: PCTV T292e whole DVBT2 mux/Ultra HD performance question
@ 2014-07-09 19:21   ` Andre Newman
From: Andre Newman @ 2014-07-09 19:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 9 Jul 2014, at 20:18, Antti Palosaari <crope@iki.fi> wrote:

> Moikka
>

> On 07/09/2014 04:14 PM, Andre Newman wrote:
>> I’m using a T290e for whole mux DVBT2 capture, using this to record the current BBC World Cup Ultra HD tests, works well. :-)
>>
>> It seems impossible to buy more T290e’s, everyone want to sell me a T292e, I understand there is a driver now, thanks Antti. I read on Antti’s blog that there is a limit on raw TS performance with the T292, that it didn’t work well with QAM256 because of this...
>>
>> I am wondering if this is a hardware limit, or a performance problem that may have been resolved now the driver is a little tiny bit more mature?
>>
>> I am very happy to get a T292e and make some tests, help debug if there is a hope that it can handle 40Mbps in hardware.If there is a hardware limit I’d rather not be stuck with a limited tuner!
>>
>> The mux I need to record is QAM256 at ~40Mbps and the UHD video is ~36Mbps of this.
>>
>> Otherwise what other DVBT2 tuners are there that can capture a raw QAM256 mux at 40Mbps?
>
> You simply confused two different devices. There is no such limit on PCTV 292e as far as I know. It is another DVB-T2 device having RTL2832P bridge having problem with stream bandwidth.

Ok, great news, thanks.

Sorry for the noise… I’ll get one to try tomorrow.

Regards

Andre

@ 2014-07-13 11:13   ` Andre Newman
From: Andre Newman @ 2014-07-13 11:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 9 Jul 2014, at 20:18, Antti Palosaari <crope@iki.fi> wrote:

> Moikka
>

> On 07/09/2014 04:14 PM, Andre Newman wrote:
>> I’m using a T290e for whole mux DVBT2 capture, using this to record the current BBC World Cup Ultra HD tests, works well. :-)
>>
>> It seems impossible to buy more T290e’s, everyone want to sell me a T292e, I understand there is a driver now, thanks Antti. I read on Antti’s blog that there is a limit on raw TS performance with the T292, that it didn’t work well with QAM256 because of this...
>>
>> I am wondering if this is a hardware limit, or a performance problem that may have been resolved now the driver is a little tiny bit more mature?
>>
>> I am very happy to get a T292e and make some tests, help debug if there is a hope that it can handle 40Mbps in hardware.If there is a hardware limit I’d rather not be stuck with a limited tuner!
>>
>> The mux I need to record is QAM256 at ~40Mbps and the UHD video is ~36Mbps of this.
>>
>> Otherwise what other DVBT2 tuners are there that can capture a raw QAM256 mux at 40Mbps?
>
> You simply confused two different devices. There is no such limit on PCTV 292e as far as I know. It is another DVB-T2 device having RTL2832P bridge having problem with stream bandwidth.

And just for the record, as Google seems to find this page first for any mention of the PCTV T292e:

I have a T292e now and it records a full DVBT2 mux at ~40Mbps with no problem at all. I’m using Ubuntu 14.04 with yesterday's media_build script.

Thanks again to Antti and anyone else working on this driver.

Andre