linux-mtd.lists.infradead.org archive mirror
* specify root squashfs ubiblock by volume name
@ 2024-04-15 13:48 Tomas Alvarez Vanoli
From: Tomas Alvarez Vanoli @ 2024-04-15 13:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-mtd; +Cc: richard, miquel.raynal, vigneshr

Hello all,
I have an embedded system in which multiple rootfs are stored in an ubi device as squashfs ubi volumes.
This is to be able to have fallback systems or to be able to store and run different versions of the software easily.
Because the number and order of volumes in the ubi device can change (different configurations, optional log volume, etc),
I have a small patch that allows me to specify the volume using “ubiblock:name”, which mirrors the already possible “ubi:name”,
Instead of specifying the device name for the "root" boot argument.

Is there already a way to do this that I may have overlooked?
If not, do you think this is a feature that would be accepted into mainline?

Many thanks,
Tomas Alvarez Vanoli

* Re: specify root squashfs ubiblock by volume name
@ 2024-04-15 19:06 ` Richard Weinberger
From: Richard Weinberger @ 2024-04-15 19:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tomas Alvarez Vanoli; +Cc: linux-mtd, Miquel Raynal, Vignesh Raghavendra

----- Ursprüngliche Mail -----
> I have an embedded system in which multiple rootfs are stored in an ubi device
> as squashfs ubi volumes.
> This is to be able to have fallback systems or to be able to store and run
> different versions of the software easily.
> Because the number and order of volumes in the ubi device can change (different
> configurations, optional log volume, etc),
> I have a small patch that allows me to specify the volume using “ubiblock:name”,
> which mirrors the already possible “ubi:name”,
> Instead of specifying the device name for the "root" boot argument.
>
> Is there already a way to do this that I may have overlooked?

Traditionally, I always suggest using a minimal initramfs as soon the rootfs setup
is non-trivial. But there are exceptions.

> If not, do you think this is a feature that would be accepted into mainline?

Depends on the changes.
In any case, please share your patch. It does not have to be perfect,
just mark it as RFC.

Thanks,
//richard