linux-mtd.lists.infradead.org archive mirror
* New bad blocks handling
@ 2024-05-09 10:12 Daniil Stas
From: Daniil Stas @ 2024-05-09 10:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-mtd

Hi,
I have a question about handling of new bad blocks on a NAND flash that
may occur during it's lifetime.

As I understand, when writing new data to the flash I have to check for
erase or write operation errors and mark the blocks bad accordingly.

I see that nandwrite utility has -m option that does the marking of bad
blocks on write errors.
But on the spinand devices with bad blocks that I've seen personally,
the write operation doesn't return any errors when trying to write to
the bad block, only the erase operation does.
And flash_erase utility doesn't have an option similar to -m option of
nandwrite to automatically mark the bad blocks.

I also see that ubiformat utility does automatic bad block marking on
erase errors.

Shouldn't flash_erase utility has an option like this?
Or is there other way to make safe nand writes using mtd utils without
using UBI?

Thanks

only message in thread, other threads:[~2024-05-09 10:13 UTC | newest]