* [linux-next] please include init-v4.1-rc6 branch for v4.2
@ 2015-06-02 23:23 Paul Gortmaker
From: Paul Gortmaker @ 2015-06-02 23:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephen Rothwell; +Cc: linux-next, linux-kernel

Hi Stephen,

Please include init-v4.1-rc6 branch of:
	git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/paulg/linux.git

This is a merge of several branches containing a scaled down version of
the work done earlier for init cleanup on a baseline of v4.1-rc6 aimed
at inclusion during 4.2-rc1 merge window.  We had this in next quite
some time ago, but it never got pulled:

https://lkml.kernel.org/r/20140207092505.4c42d130faff151659a908f9@canb.auug.org.au

There was no clear reason why it never got merged, so I took a guess and
decided to factor it into separate components that will each get their
own pull request, plus drop all the trivial changes as described here:

https://lkml.kernel.org/r/1433276168-21550-1-git-send-email-paul.gortmaker@windriver.com

This makes it easier to review and digest, so fingers crossed this time...

I've been cross building it and test merging it with next on and off for
several weeks now, so it should be trouble free (hopefully).  There will
be two relatively trivial conflicts upon merging to next:

1) A removal of a __cpuinit from this tree will conflict with a removal
   of the whole code block contaning the original __cpuinit in the file
   arch/arm/mach-keystone/platsmp.c

2) A removal of a __CPUINIT from this tree will conflict with a complete
   file removal (removed, not renamed) of arch/arm/mach-hisi/headsmp.S

This should be fine at or near the end of your merge list, so if there
is any fallout, it can be cleaned up here in this content and not a
burden to other tree owners.

Assuming I can get Linus to pull the chunks this time, it should be a
one shot (one version) tree from a linux-next point of view.

Thanks!
Paul.

* Re: please include init-v4.1-rc6 branch for v4.2
@ 2015-06-03  3:39 ` Stephen Rothwell
From: Stephen Rothwell @ 2015-06-03  3:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Gortmaker; +Cc: linux-next, linux-kernel

Hi Paul,

On Tue, 2 Jun 2015 19:23:18 -0400 Paul Gortmaker <paul.gortmaker@windriver.com> wrote:

> Please include init-v4.1-rc6 branch of:
> 	git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/paulg/linux.git

OK, I will add it in just before I merge Andrew's tree and see how it
goes.

> I've been cross building it and test merging it with next on and off for
> several weeks now, so it should be trouble free (hopefully).  There will
> be two relatively trivial conflicts upon merging to next:
>
> 1) A removal of a __cpuinit from this tree will conflict with a removal
>    of the whole code block contaning the original __cpuinit in the file
>    arch/arm/mach-keystone/platsmp.c
>
> 2) A removal of a __CPUINIT from this tree will conflict with a complete
>    file removal (removed, not renamed) of arch/arm/mach-hisi/headsmp.S

Thanks for the heads up on these.

> Assuming I can get Linus to pull the chunks this time, it should be a
> one shot (one version) tree from a linux-next point of view.

If he takes it, please remind me to remove the tree.

Thanks for adding your subsystem tree as a participant of linux-next.  As
you may know, this is not a judgment of your code.  The purpose of
linux-next is for integration testing and to lower the impact of
conflicts between subsystems in the next merge window.

You will need to ensure that the patches/commits in your tree/series have
been:
     * submitted under GPL v2 (or later) and include the Contributor's
        Signed-off-by,
     * posted to the relevant mailing list,
     * reviewed by you (or another maintainer of your subsystem tree),
     * successfully unit tested, and
     * destined for the current or next Linux merge window.

Basically, this should be just what you would send to Linus (or ask him
to fetch).  It is allowed to be rebased if you deem it necessary.

--
Cheers,
Stephen Rothwell

* Re: [linux-next] please include init-v4.1-rc6 branch for v4.2
@ 2015-06-03 18:54   ` Mark Brown
From: Mark Brown @ 2015-06-03 18:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephen Rothwell; +Cc: Paul Gortmaker, linux-next, linux-kernel

On Wed, Jun 03, 2015 at 01:39:04PM +1000, Stephen Rothwell wrote:
> On Tue, 2 Jun 2015 19:23:18 -0400 Paul Gortmaker <paul.gortmaker@windriver.com> wrote:

> > Please include init-v4.1-rc6 branch of:
> > 	git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/paulg/linux.git

> OK, I will add it in just before I merge Andrew's tree and see how it
> goes.

It looks like this has broken every build that includes modules which
I'm trying in my build reports - lots of implicit declarations breaking
the build.

* Re: please include init-v4.1-rc6 branch for v4.2
@ 2015-06-03 21:41     ` Paul Gortmaker
From: Paul Gortmaker @ 2015-06-03 21:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark Brown; +Cc: Stephen Rothwell, linux-next, linux-kernel

[Re: [linux-next] please include init-v4.1-rc6 branch for v4.2] On 03/06/2015 (Wed 19:54) Mark Brown wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 03, 2015 at 01:39:04PM +1000, Stephen Rothwell wrote:
> > On Tue, 2 Jun 2015 19:23:18 -0400 Paul Gortmaker <paul.gortmaker@windriver.com> wrote:
>
> > > Please include init-v4.1-rc6 branch of:
> > > 	git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/paulg/linux.git
>
> > OK, I will add it in just before I merge Andrew's tree and see how it
> > goes.
>
> It looks like this has broken every build that includes modules which
> I'm trying in my build reports - lots of implicit declarations breaking
> the build.

The module build fails [on ARM] seem worse than they are since the one
interaction with the tegra/fuse driver causes spew to appear from
generic files like device.h

https://lkml.kernel.org/r/20150603160808.GM29898@windriver.com

Thanks for the build coverage during the A/C outage; I'll follow up to
your build report with more details shortly; indicating exatly what has
been done to fix what.

@ 2015-07-15 20:59   ` Paul Gortmaker
From: Paul Gortmaker @ 2015-07-15 20:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephen Rothwell; +Cc: linux-next, linux-kernel

[Re: [linux-next] please include init-v4.1-rc6 branch for v4.2] On 03/06/2015 (Wed 13:39) Stephen Rothwell wrote:

> Hi Paul,
>
> On Tue, 2 Jun 2015 19:23:18 -0400 Paul Gortmaker <paul.gortmaker@windriver.com> wrote:
> >
> > Please include init-v4.1-rc6 branch of:
> > 	git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/paulg/linux.git
>
> OK, I will add it in just before I merge Andrew's tree and see how it
> goes.

[...]

> > Assuming I can get Linus to pull the chunks this time, it should be a
> > one shot (one version) tree from a linux-next point of view.
>
> If he takes it, please remind me to remove the tree.

As of today, the final commit from this tree is merged, so it can be removed.

Thanks again for access to the increased test coverage on all of this.

Paul.
--

@ 2015-07-16  0:06     ` Stephen Rothwell
From: Stephen Rothwell @ 2015-07-16  0:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Gortmaker; +Cc: linux-next, linux-kernel

Hi Paul,

On Wed, 15 Jul 2015 16:59:03 -0400 Paul Gortmaker <paul.gortmaker@windriver.com> wrote:

> [Re: [linux-next] please include init-v4.1-rc6 branch for v4.2] On 03/06/2015 (Wed 13:39) Stephen Rothwell wrote:
>
> > Hi Paul,
> >
> > On Tue, 2 Jun 2015 19:23:18 -0400 Paul Gortmaker <paul.gortmaker@windriver.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > Please include init-v4.1-rc6 branch of:
> > > 	git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/paulg/linux.git
> >
> > OK, I will add it in just before I merge Andrew's tree and see how it
> > goes.
> >

> [...]
>

> > > Assuming I can get Linus to pull the chunks this time, it should be a
> > > one shot (one version) tree from a linux-next point of view.
> >
> > If he takes it, please remind me to remove the tree.
>
> As of today, the final commit from this tree is merged, so it can be removed.

Thanks for letting me know ... I will remove it today.