linux-riscv.lists.infradead.org archive mirror
* Status for RISC-V Summit
@ 2020-11-12 12:48 Drew Fustini
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Drew Fustini @ 2020-11-12 12:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-riscv, David Abdurachmanov, Björn Töpel,
	Atish Patra, Anup Patel

Hello, I am updating my Embedded Linux Conference talk about Linux on
RISC-V for the RISC-V Summit in December [1].  I want to have a slide
or two that captures the recent accomplishments for RISC-V Linux
support and what is on the horizon.

I current have listed as recent and ongoing work:

- KVM (Anup Patel/Atish Patra)
  [waiting on ratification of Hypervisor spec]
- eBPF JIT (Björn Töpel)
-  KGDB support (Vincent Chen)
-  kexec/kdump support (Nick Kossifidis)
- kprobes/kretprobes (Guo Ren)
- generic vDSO support
- syszcaller support
- build with LLVM/clang

I would really appreciate any feedback on what I should add, modify or remove.

Thank you,
Drew

[1] https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1mD-yPd-zB-DNXVTTNWGd22EZuSi9_4hcJGHYzrDQLjU/edit?usp=sharing

* Re: Status for RISC-V Summit
@ 2020-11-12 20:03 ` Björn Töpel
From: Björn Töpel @ 2020-11-12 20:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Drew Fustini, linux-riscv, David Abdurachmanov, Atish Patra, Anup Patel

On 2020-11-12 13:48, Drew Fustini wrote:
> Hello, I am updating my Embedded Linux Conference talk about Linux on
> RISC-V for the RISC-V Summit in December [1].  I want to have a slide
> or two that captures the recent accomplishments for RISC-V Linux
> support and what is on the horizon.
>
> I current have listed as recent and ongoing work:
>
> - KVM (Anup Patel/Atish Patra)
>    [waiting on ratification of Hypervisor spec]
> - eBPF JIT (Björn Töpel)
> -  KGDB support (Vincent Chen)
> -  kexec/kdump support (Nick Kossifidis)
> - kprobes/kretprobes (Guo Ren)
> - generic vDSO support
> - syszcaller support
> - build with LLVM/clang
>
> I would really appreciate any feedback on what I should add, modify or remove.

What a nice slide deck, Drew! Looking forward to the summit presentation.

On the eBPF side of things, we've gained RVC support. As you know BPF
really shines in the tracing side, so I'm personally very excited that
Ren is still working on kprobes -- hopefully it'll be merged the next
window. When kprobes land we can use bpftrace [2] on RISC-V. It'll make
perf a whole lot more usable as well.

Emil Renner Berthing added jump-label support.

...but that's probably too much detail for the deck. :-P

I'll take a more detailed look, and get back if I have any feedback.

Cheers,
Björn

[2] https://github.com/iovisor/bpftrace

@ 2020-11-13  1:56 ` Atish Patra
From: Atish Patra @ 2020-11-13  1:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Drew Fustini, arun.thomas
  Cc: Anup Patel, linux-riscv, Björn Töpel, David Abdurachmanov

+ Arun as he has a talk on the RISC-V software state of the union [1] as well.

[1] https://tmt.knect365.com/risc-v-summit/agenda/1/?searchInput=&stream=13#software-tools_risc-v-software-state-of-the-union_1-30pm

On Thu, Nov 12, 2020 at 4:47 AM Drew Fustini <pdp7pdp7@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello, I am updating my Embedded Linux Conference talk about Linux on
> RISC-V for the RISC-V Summit in December [1].  I want to have a slide
> or two that captures the recent accomplishments for RISC-V Linux
> support and what is on the horizon.
>
> I current have listed as recent and ongoing work:
>
> - KVM (Anup Patel/Atish Patra)
>   [waiting on ratification of Hypervisor spec]
> - eBPF JIT (Björn Töpel)
> -  KGDB support (Vincent Chen)
> -  kexec/kdump support (Nick Kossifidis)
> - kprobes/kretprobes (Guo Ren)
> - generic vDSO support
> - syszcaller support
> - build with LLVM/clang
>
> I would really appreciate any feedback on what I should add, modify or remove.
>
> Thank you,
> Drew
>
> [1] https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1mD-yPd-zB-DNXVTTNWGd22EZuSi9_4hcJGHYzrDQLjU/edit?usp=sharing

Atish

* Re: Status for RISC-V Summit
@ 2020-11-13  6:29 ` Nick Kossifidis
From: Nick Kossifidis @ 2020-11-13  6:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Drew Fustini
  Cc: alex, David Abdurachmanov, Anup Patel, Atish Patra, linux-riscv,
	Björn Töpel

Στις 2020-11-12 14:48, Drew Fustini έγραψε:
> Hello, I am updating my Embedded Linux Conference talk about Linux on
> RISC-V for the RISC-V Summit in December [1].  I want to have a slide
> or two that captures the recent accomplishments for RISC-V Linux
> support and what is on the horizon.
>
> I current have listed as recent and ongoing work:
>
> - KVM (Anup Patel/Atish Patra)
>   [waiting on ratification of Hypervisor spec]
> - eBPF JIT (Björn Töpel)
> -  KGDB support (Vincent Chen)
> -  kexec/kdump support (Nick Kossifidis)
> - kprobes/kretprobes (Guo Ren)
> - generic vDSO support
> - syszcaller support
> - build with LLVM/clang
>
> I would really appreciate any feedback on what I should add, modify or
> remove.
>
> Thank you,
> Drew

Nice work Drew, very useful presentation !

There is also Alex Ghiti's work on sv48 and relocatable kernel:
https://patchwork.kernel.org/project/linux-riscv/list/?series=299197
https://patchwork.kernel.org/project/linux-riscv/list/?series=297525

I don't know if that's still active though and what's the plan for
moving forward, maybe Alex (cced) can tell us more.

Regards,
Nick

* Re: Status for RISC-V Summit
@ 2020-11-14  8:33   ` Alex Ghiti
From: Alex Ghiti @ 2020-11-14  8:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nick Kossifidis, Drew Fustini
  Cc: Anup Patel, linux-riscv, Atish Patra, Björn Töpel,
	David Abdurachmanov

Hi,

Le 11/13/20 à 1:29 AM, Nick Kossifidis a écrit :
> Στις 2020-11-12 14:48, Drew Fustini έγραψε:
>> Hello, I am updating my Embedded Linux Conference talk about Linux on
>> RISC-V for the RISC-V Summit in December [1].  I want to have a slide
>> or two that captures the recent accomplishments for RISC-V Linux
>> support and what is on the horizon.
>>
>> I current have listed as recent and ongoing work:
>>
>> - KVM (Anup Patel/Atish Patra)
>>   [waiting on ratification of Hypervisor spec]
>> - eBPF JIT (Björn Töpel)
>> -  KGDB support (Vincent Chen)
>> -  kexec/kdump support (Nick Kossifidis)
>> - kprobes/kretprobes (Guo Ren)
>> - generic vDSO support
>> - syszcaller support
>> - build with LLVM/clang
>>
>> I would really appreciate any feedback on what I should add, modify or
>> remove.
>>
>> Thank you,
>> Drew
>>

> Nice work Drew, very useful presentation !
>
> There is also Alex Ghiti's work on sv48 and relocatable kernel:
> https://patchwork.kernel.org/project/linux-riscv/list/?series=299197
> https://patchwork.kernel.org/project/linux-riscv/list/?series=297525
>
> I don't know if that's still active though and what's the plan for
> moving forward, maybe Alex (cced) can tell us more.

I clearly did not make any progress since I have posted those series. I
will have more time in the weeks to come, so we can say it is still in
development.

Thanks for reminding me this Nick :)

Alex