linux-sctp.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
* 64k streams not supported
@ 2020-08-21 15:59 David Laight
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: David Laight @ 2020-08-21 15:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-sctp

Isn't SCTP supposed to support 65536 data streams?
If I try to enable that many I get 10.
Not surprising since the number of streams gets stored in a u16.

The whole code base may need changing to save the highest
valid stream?

Since I don't actually need that many I'm not writing the patch.

	David

-
Registration No: 1397386 (Wales)

* Re: 64k streams not supported
@ 2020-08-21 16:50 ` Marcelo Ricardo Leitner
From: Marcelo Ricardo Leitner @ 2020-08-21 16:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-sctp

On Fri, Aug 21, 2020 at 03:59:42PM +0000, David Laight wrote:
> Isn't SCTP supposed to support 65536 data streams?

Hm, no? Why?

"After the association is initialized, the valid outbound stream
identifier range for either endpoint shall be 0 to min(local OS,
remote MIS)-1."

Section 3.3.2:
   Number of Outbound Streams (OS): 16 bits (unsigned integer)

      Defines the number of outbound streams the sender of this INIT
      chunk wishes to create in this association.  The value of 0 MUST
      NOT be used.

   Number of Inbound Streams (MIS): 16 bits (unsigned integer)

      Defines the maximum number of streams the sender of this INIT
      chunk allows the peer end to create in this association.  The
      value 0 MUST NOT be used.

  Marcelo

* Re: 64k streams not supported
@ 2020-08-21 20:10 ` Michael Tuexen
From: Michael Tuexen @ 2020-08-21 20:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-sctp

> On 21. Aug 2020, at 17:59, David Laight <David.Laight@ACULAB.COM> wrote:
>
> Isn't SCTP supposed to support 65536 data streams?
Since the number of streams is exchanged in the INIT and INIT-ACK chunks
and encoded in a uint16_t, the number is 65535, not 65536.
So an implementation should be able to use up to 65535 incoming and
outgoing streams.

Best regards
Michael

@ 2020-08-21 21:03 ` David Laight
> > Isn't SCTP supposed to support 65536 data streams?
>
> Since the number of streams is exchanged in the INIT and INIT-ACK chunks
> and encoded in a uint16_t, the number is 65535, not 65536.
> So an implementation should be able to use up to 65535 incoming and
> outgoing streams.

Ah, I'd assumed that because the stream number was encoded
in 16 bits you could use stream numbers 0 through 65535.

At least no one needs to write the patch :-)

	David

-
Registration No: 1397386 (Wales)