linux-toolchains.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
* SFrame version 2 in upcoming Binutils 2.41
@ 2023-07-07 23:01 Indu Bhagat
From: Indu Bhagat @ 2023-07-07 23:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Steven Rostedt, linux-toolchains

Hi,

Binutils 2.41 release (planned to be released soon) will feature SFrame
version 2. One of main changes in SFrame version 2 is that the SFrame
Function Descriptor Entry (FDE) is now 20 bytes.  This keeps all data
members of SFrame FDE naturally aligned.

All data structures continue to be packed in the on-disk representation.
  SFrame FREs (Frame Row Entries) will continue to potentially have
members not aligned at their natural boundaries (Recall that SFrame FREs
are variable length entries).

Changes have been made to the GNU as, ld, objdump/readelf support: the
default version supported is SFrame version 2.  The SFrame spec has also
been updated.

Relevant commits:

[sframe: bfd: gas: ld: format bump to SFrame version 2]
https://sourceware.org/pipermail/binutils/2023-June/128141.html

[doc: sframe: update specification for SFRAME_VERSION_2]
https://sourceware.org/pipermail/binutils/2023-June/128140.html

[binutils/NEWS: announce SFrame version 2 as the new default]
https://sourceware.org/pipermail/binutils/2023-June/128139.html

Please let me know if there are any questions or feedback,

Indu

* Re: SFrame version 2 in upcoming Binutils 2.41
@ 2023-07-07 23:43 ` Nick Desaulniers
From: Nick Desaulniers @ 2023-07-07 23:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Indu Bhagat; +Cc: Steven Rostedt, linux-toolchains

On Fri, Jul 7, 2023 at 4:02 PM Indu Bhagat <indu.bhagat@oracle.com> wrote:

> Please let me know if there are any questions or feedback,

Hi Indu,
I did a quick check for SFrame in LLVM's issue tracker and noticed
there were no pending issues on file.
https://github.com/llvm/llvm-project/issues?q=is%3Aissue+is%3Aopen+SFrame

Mind filing a ticket there linking to the relevant specs?
~Nick Desaulniers

* Re: SFrame version 2 in upcoming Binutils 2.41
@ 2023-07-10 17:19   ` Indu Bhagat
From: Indu Bhagat @ 2023-07-10 17:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nick Desaulniers; +Cc: Steven Rostedt, linux-toolchains

On 7/7/23 16:43, Nick Desaulniers wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 7, 2023 at 4:02 PM Indu Bhagat <indu.bhagat@oracle.com> wrote:
>>
>> Please let me know if there are any questions or feedback,
>
> Hi Indu,
> I did a quick check for SFrame in LLVM's issue tracker and noticed
> there were no pending issues on file.
> https://github.com/llvm/llvm-project/issues?q=is%3Aissue+is%3Aopen+SFrame
>
> Mind filing a ticket there linking to the relevant specs?

Sure. I can file it once the SPEC (pdf/html) is published with the 2..41
release ?

@ 2023-08-04 22:21     ` Indu Bhagat
From: Indu Bhagat @ 2023-08-04 22:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nick Desaulniers; +Cc: Steven Rostedt, linux-toolchains