linux-usb.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
* RE: Adding NovAtel USB vendor & device ID to Kernel
       [not found] ` <20181112105953.GG13311@localhost>
@ 2019-06-20  1:35   ` SNELL James
From: SNELL James @ 2019-06-20  1:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Johan Hovold; +Cc: linux-usb

Hi Johan,
I apologize for the extreme delay in replying to your latest message. I was considering approaching this an entirely different way and have since returned to submitting the request directly to you. As such, I will now address each of your questions.

-- Q1. Do your products support other serial interfaces as well (e.g. UART or i2c)? --
Our USB interface offers 3 virtual UARTs that can be used a serial ports. All of our products also can be interfaced to using RS232 and many offer Ethernet, Wifi and CAN support. But all that I think is relevant for adding support to the kernel is the USB virtual serial ports.

-- Q2. As Oliver mentioned it would be useful to know what USB-serial converter chip you use in the device, if any, or of this is a custom implementation. --
As far as I am aware, this is our own implementation. Our Windows driver's have a mention in their configuration about a 16550 compatible UART, however I'm not certain if that is relevant. For your purposes.

-- Q3. Since 4.19 we actually have GNSS subsystem in the kernel, which if we implement a driver for your devices would show up as /dev/gnssN with an associated attribute describing the GNSS type (reflecting the supported protocol, e.g. NMEA, UBX or SiRF). What protocols do your devices use (besides NMEA)? Do use any common GNSS receivers chips, or do you have your own? --
That's very interesting!

The GNSS chips used are our own.

Out of the box our receivers communicate using our own protocol. Users can send proprietary binary or ASCII messages, which are our own standard format that has been used for decades. This "NOVATEL" protocol is well-documented online. Our serial communication ports can be reconfigured to comply with various other formats, the list is quite long. You can see the full set of supported protocols at the following page under the title "Serial Port Interface Modes": https://docs.novatel.com/OEM7/Content/Commands/INTERFACEMODE.htm?

-- Q4. What are the three ports used for, or is that configurable? --
Our ports are highly configurable by the user. Some users will only ever use one port. While others will configure some ports to specific dedicated uses such as for configuration or logging different formats of GNSS, Timing, and INS type data records.

-- Q5. Depending a bit on your answers to the above questions, we could also add your VID/PID to a USB-serial driver, which would give you ttyUSBN devices without any need to mess with modprobe. --
This is all I was hoping we could get done here. So, "yes please!".

Here's a tiny bit more context for you - When our Linux users ask us how to configure their Linux machines to recognize our receivers over USB, we typically ask them to the following:

1. Create the file /etc/udev/rules.d/z90_novatel.rules

2. Paste in these lines:
SUBSYSTEM=="usb", SYSFS{idProduct}=="0100", SYSFS{idVendor}=="09d7",
PROGRAM="/sbin/modprobe usbserial vendor=0x09d7 product=0x0100"

BUS=="usb", SYSFS{idProduct}=="0100", SYSFS{idVendor}=="09d7",
SYSFS{product}=="NovAtel GPS Receiver", SYSFS{manufacturer}=="NovAtel Inc.", SYMLINK+="gps%n"

This doesn't work for every distro, but most. Another approach that can work is to simply enter this in to the shell:
echo '09d7 0100' > /sys/bus/usb-serial/drivers/generic/new_id

Does this satisfy your questions?

Thank you very much. Best regards,
James Snell