* what is using memory?
@ 2001-06-11  3:36 Ed Tomlinson
From: Ed Tomlinson @ 2001-06-11  3:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel; +Cc: linux-mm

I have been trying to figure out what is using my memory

My box has

320280K

>From boot I see

   924	kernel
  8224	reserved (initrd ramdisk?)
  1488	hash tables (dentry, inode, mount, buffer, page, tcp)

from lsmod I caculate

   876	for loaded modules

from proc/slabinfo

 11992	for all slabs

from proc/meminfo

 17140	buffer
123696	cache
 32303	free

leaving unaccounted

123627K

This is about 38% of my memory, and only about 46% is pageable
Is it possible to figure out what is using this?

This is with 2.4.6-pre2 with Rik's page_launder_improvements patch,
lvm beta7 and some reieserfs patches applied, after about 12 hours
of uptime.

TIA,

Ed Tomlinson

* Re: what is using memory?
@ 2001-06-11  8:20 ` Jonathan Morton
From: Jonathan Morton @ 2001-06-11  8:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ed Tomlinson, linux-kernel; +Cc: linux-mm

>My box has
>
>320280K
>
>from proc/meminfo
>
> 17140	buffer
>123696	cache
> 32303	free
>
>leaving unaccounted
>
>123627K

This is your processes' memory, the inode and dentry caches, and possibly
some extra kernel memory which may be allocated after boot time.  It is
*very* much accounted for.

from:     Jonathan "Chromatix" Morton
mail:     chromi@cyberspace.org  (not for attachments)

GCS$/E/S dpu(!) s:- a20 C+++ UL++ P L+++ E W+ N- o? K? w--- O-- M++$ V? PS
PE- Y+ PGP++ t- 5- X- R !tv b++ DI+++ D G e+ h+ r++ y+(*)

* Re: what is using memory?
@ 2001-06-11 11:37   ` Ed Tomlinson
From: Ed Tomlinson @ 2001-06-11 11:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jonathan Morton, Ed Tomlinson, linux-kernel; +Cc: linux-mm

On Monday 11 June 2001 04:20, Jonathan Morton wrote:
> >My box has
> >
> >320280K
> >
> >from proc/meminfo
> >
> > 17140	buffer
> >123696	cache
> > 32303	free
> >
> >leaving unaccounted
> >
> >123627K
>
> This is your processes' memory, the inode and dentry caches, and possibly
> some extra kernel memory which may be allocated after boot time.  It is
> *very* much accounted for.

No its not.  For instance the slab caches encompass the inode and dentry
caches.  Point I was/am tring to make is not that this memory is lost or
not need, but that is it _not_ accounted.  ie. There is not way to tell
what is using it, hense we cannot see leaks or places that could be
optimized.

I have attempted to count all memory I could.  The 123M is what is left in
the kernel overhead bucket...

Ed Tomlinson