* How to improve PCI bug tracking?
@ 2017-01-18 22:53 Bjorn Helgaas
From: Bjorn Helgaas @ 2017-01-18 22:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-pci; +Cc: linux-kernel

I want to improve PCI bug tracking.  It feels like our bugs don't get
the attention they need, and I'm soliciting ideas for how to improve
this.

Current situation:

  - People often report bugs via email to linux-pci.  I think this
    is good because everybody can see it.

  - Even after an email report, I often request a bugzilla because
    (1) it helps keep things from being forgotten, (2) it's a
    convenient place to store bulky data, and (3) I like to have a
    bugzilla URL to include in the changelog of a patch that fixes the
    bug.

  - Sometimes people open a bugzilla directly.  I get email about
    these (along with one or two other people), but this is sort of a
    problem because linux-pci never sees it, sometimes I miss it, and
    things tend to languish.

  - Discussion on a bugzilla is only seen by people listed in the
    bugzilla, not on linux-pci.

I'm contemplating changing this so the bugzilla mail would also go to
linux-pci.

Any objections or alternate suggestions?

Bjorn

* Re: How to improve PCI bug tracking?
@ 2017-01-18 23:29 ` Sinan Kaya
From: Sinan Kaya @ 2017-01-18 23:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bjorn Helgaas, linux-pci; +Cc: linux-kernel

On 1/18/2017 5:53 PM, Bjorn Helgaas wrote:
> I want to improve PCI bug tracking.  It feels like our bugs don't get
> the attention they need, and I'm soliciting ideas for how to improve
> this.
>
> Current situation:
>
>   - People often report bugs via email to linux-pci.  I think this
>     is good because everybody can see it.
>
>   - Even after an email report, I often request a bugzilla because
>     (1) it helps keep things from being forgotten, (2) it's a
>     convenient place to store bulky data, and (3) I like to have a
>     bugzilla URL to include in the changelog of a patch that fixes the
>     bug.
>
>   - Sometimes people open a bugzilla directly.  I get email about
>     these (along with one or two other people), but this is sort of a
>     problem because linux-pci never sees it, sometimes I miss it, and
>     things tend to languish.
>
>   - Discussion on a bugzilla is only seen by people listed in the
>     bugzilla, not on linux-pci.
>
> I'm contemplating changing this so the bugzilla mail would also go to
> linux-pci.

I have seen this happening on linux-scsi.

http://www.spinics.net/lists/linux-scsi/msg103272.html

I'd say, why not?

> Any objections or alternate suggestions?
>
> Bjorn

Sinan Kaya
Qualcomm Datacenter Technologies, Inc. as an affiliate of Qualcomm Technologies, Inc.
Qualcomm Technologies, Inc. is a member of the Code Aurora Forum, a Linux Foundation Collaborative Project.

* Re: How to improve PCI bug tracking?
@ 2017-01-19  5:35   ` Lukas Wunner
From: Lukas Wunner @ 2017-01-19  5:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sinan Kaya; +Cc: Bjorn Helgaas, linux-pci, linux-kernel

On Wed, Jan 18, 2017 at 06:29:15PM -0500, Sinan Kaya wrote:
> On 1/18/2017 5:53 PM, Bjorn Helgaas wrote:
> > I want to improve PCI bug tracking.  It feels like our bugs don't get
> > the attention they need, and I'm soliciting ideas for how to improve
> > this.
> >
> > Current situation:
> >
> >   - People often report bugs via email to linux-pci.  I think this
> >     is good because everybody can see it.
> >
> >   - Even after an email report, I often request a bugzilla because
> >     (1) it helps keep things from being forgotten, (2) it's a
> >     convenient place to store bulky data, and (3) I like to have a
> >     bugzilla URL to include in the changelog of a patch that fixes the
> >     bug.
> >
> >   - Sometimes people open a bugzilla directly.  I get email about
> >     these (along with one or two other people), but this is sort of a
> >     problem because linux-pci never sees it, sometimes I miss it, and
> >     things tend to languish.
> >
> >   - Discussion on a bugzilla is only seen by people listed in the
> >     bugzilla, not on linux-pci.
> >
> > I'm contemplating changing this so the bugzilla mail would also go to
> > linux-pci.
>
> I have seen this happening on linux-scsi.
>
> http://www.spinics.net/lists/linux-scsi/msg103272.html

Same for dri-devel@ / nouveau@lists.freedesktop.org.

Go for it.

Lukas

* Re: How to improve PCI bug tracking?
@ 2017-01-19 11:16 ` Joao Pinto
From: Joao Pinto @ 2017-01-19 11:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bjorn Helgaas, linux-pci; +Cc: linux-kernel

Hello,

Às 10:53 PM de 1/18/2017, Bjorn Helgaas escreveu:
> I want to improve PCI bug tracking.  It feels like our bugs don't get
> the attention they need, and I'm soliciting ideas for how to improve
> this.
>
> Current situation:
>
>   - People often report bugs via email to linux-pci.  I think this
>     is good because everybody can see it.
>
>   - Even after an email report, I often request a bugzilla because
>     (1) it helps keep things from being forgotten, (2) it's a
>     convenient place to store bulky data, and (3) I like to have a
>     bugzilla URL to include in the changelog of a patch that fixes the
>     bug.
>
>   - Sometimes people open a bugzilla directly.  I get email about
>     these (along with one or two other people), but this is sort of a
>     problem because linux-pci never sees it, sometimes I miss it, and
>     things tend to languish.
>
>   - Discussion on a bugzilla is only seen by people listed in the
>     bugzilla, not on linux-pci.
>
> I'm contemplating changing this so the bugzilla mail would also go to
> linux-pci.

I agree with your approach.

Thanks,
Joao