* Configuring kernel
@ 2002-09-13 18:47 Srinivas Chavva
From: Srinivas Chavva @ 2002-09-13 18:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

I have Linux RedHat 7.1 installed on my machine which
has a kernel version 2.4.2. I have to run a software
called iSCSI for which I need a lower kernel version
2.4.16.
I downloaded the sofware and opened it in the /usr/src
directory. I did the following
1. unzipped the tar file
2. mv linux linux-2.4.16
3 ln -s linux-2.4.16 linux
4. changed to linux directory and issued the command
make mproper.
Then when I issued the command make xconfig I was
getting errors. I got similar errors when I tried to
use the following commands make menuconfig, make
config.
When I used the command uname -i I still was getting
the kernel version as 2.4.2.
I do not know why this error is coming.

Kindly please help.
Regards,
Srinivas Chavva

Yahoo! News - Today's headlines
http://news.yahoo.com

* Re: Configuring kernel
@ 2002-09-13 19:02 ` Adam Jaskiewicz
From: Adam Jaskiewicz @ 2002-09-13 19:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Srinivas Chavva; +Cc: linux-kernel

> I downloaded the sofware and opened it in the /usr/src
> directory. I did the following
> 1. unzipped the tar file
> 2. mv linux linux-2.4.16
> 3 ln -s linux-2.4.16 linux
> 4. changed to linux directory and issued the command
> make mproper.
> Then when I issued the command make xconfig I was
> getting errors. I got similar errors when I tried to
> use the following commands make menuconfig, make
> config.

What errors did you get? We need to know what the errors are to help you.

> When I used the command uname -i I still was getting
> the kernel version as 2.4.2.
> I do not know why this error is coming.

This is not an error. If you did not install a new kernel and reboot your
computer with the new kernel, uname will still have the same kernel version.
Once you have properly configured, compiled and installed the kernel and its
modules, you reboot the computer to apply the new kernel. Then uname will
give you the new version.

--
Adam Jaskiewicz
adamjaskie@comcast.net

* Re: Configuring kernel
@ 2002-09-14 21:25   ` David T Hollis
From: David T Hollis @ 2002-09-14 21:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel; +Cc: Srinivas Chavva

I seem to remember either the early RH 7.x series or 6.x series did not
necessarily install ncurses by default, thus make menuconfig did not
run.  If you did a very slim install, you may not have the right
libraries to do what you need.  Do an 'rpm -q ncurses ncurses-devel' and
see what you get.  If either is not found, make menuconfig will not run.

Adam Jaskiewicz wrote:

>>I downloaded the sofware and opened it in the /usr/src
>>directory. I did the following
>>1. unzipped the tar file
>>2. mv linux linux-2.4.16
>>3 ln -s linux-2.4.16 linux
>>4. changed to linux directory and issued the command
>>make mproper.
>>Then when I issued the command make xconfig I was
>>getting errors. I got similar errors when I tried to
>>use the following commands make menuconfig, make
>>config.
>>

>What errors did you get? We need to know what the errors are to help you.
>

>>When I used the command uname -i I still was getting
>>the kernel version as 2.4.2.
>>I do not know why this error is coming.
>>

>This is not an error. If you did not install a new kernel and reboot your
>computer with the new kernel, uname will still have the same kernel version.
>Once you have properly configured, compiled and installed the kernel and its
>modules, you reboot the computer to apply the new kernel. Then uname will
>give you the new version.

* Re: Configuring kernel
@ 2002-09-15 22:34     ` Srinivas Chavva
From: Srinivas Chavva @ 2002-09-15 22:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

When I tried to execute the command "make xconfig" I
got the following output

rm -f include/asm
(cd include; ln -sf asm -i386 asm)
make -C scripts knconfig.tk
make: *** scripts: No such file or directory. Stop.
make: *** [xconfig] Error 2

When I executed the command 'rpm -q ncurses
ncurses-devel'  I got the following output

ncurses-5.2-8
ncurses-devel-5.2-8

Could you please help me to fix the error.
Thanking You.
Regards,
Srinivas Chavva

Adam Jaskiewicz wrote:

>>I downloaded the sofware and opened it in the
/usr/src
>>directory. I did the following
>>1. unzipped the tar file
>>2. mv linux linux-2.4.16
>>3 ln -s linux-2.4.16 linux
>>4. changed to linux directory and issued the command
>>make mproper.
>>Then when I issued the command make xconfig I was
>>getting errors. I got similar errors when I tried to
>>use the following commands make menuconfig, make
>>config.
>>

>What errors did you get? We need to know what the
errors are to help
you.

>>When I used the command uname -i I still was getting
>>the kernel version as 2.4.2.
>>I do not know why this error is coming.
>>

>This is not an error. If you did not install a new
kernel and reboot
your
>computer with the new kernel, uname will still have
the same kernel
version.
>Once you have properly configured, compiled and
installed the kernel
and its
>modules, you reboot the computer to apply the new
kernel. Then uname
will
>give you the new version.

-
To unsubscribe from this list: send the line
"unsubscribe linux-kernel"
in
More majordomo info at

@ 2002-09-16 21:13       ` Sam Ravnborg
From: Sam Ravnborg @ 2002-09-16 21:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Srinivas Chavva; +Cc: linux-kernel

On Sun, Sep 15, 2002 at 03:34:08PM -0700, Srinivas Chavva wrote:
> When I tried to execute the command "make xconfig" I
> got the following output
>
> rm -f include/asm
> (cd include; ln -sf asm -i386 asm)
> make -C scripts knconfig.tk
There is no file named "knconfig.tk" - check your top-level Makefile.
The correct name is "kconfig.tk".

	Sam

* Re: Configuring kernel
@ 2002-09-16 23:19         ` Srinivas Chavva
From: Srinivas Chavva @ 2002-09-16 23:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sam Ravnborg, linux-kernel

I am extremely sorry I made a typing error. When I
executed the command make xconfig I got the following
output
rm -f include/asm
(cd include; ln -sf asm -i386 asm)
make -C scripts kconfig.tk

@ 2002-09-17 10:33       ` Paul Dickson
From: Paul Dickson @ 2002-09-17 10:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel, Srinivas Chavva

On Sun, 15 Sep 2002 15:34:08 -0700 (PDT), Srinivas Chavva wrote:

> When I tried to execute the command "make xconfig" I
> got the following output
>
> rm -f include/asm
> (cd include; ln -sf asm -i386 asm)
> make -C scripts knconfig.tk
> make: *** scripts: No such file or directory. Stop.
> make: *** [xconfig] Error 2

I get:

  rm -f include/asm
  ( cd include ; ln -sf asm-i386 asm)
  make -C scripts kconfig.tk
  make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-2.4.18/scripts'
  <...>

Did you unpack the kernel as root and now trying to configure the kernel
as a normal user?  The error is stating the equivelent that the directory
`/usr/src/linux-2.4.18/scripts' is not there (make was trying to cd into
it).  So I assume you either deleted the directory or you don't have
access to it.

	-Paul