* Re:RE: interrupts across  PCI bridge(s) not handled
@ 2003-11-05  9:12 Frank Horowitz
From: Frank Horowitz @ 2003-11-05  9:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel; +Cc: torvalds

On Mon, 3 Nov 2003, Linux Torvalds wrote:

> On Mon, 3 Nov 2003, Charles Martin wrote:
> >
> > I enabled ACPI, and the interrupts are now assigned correctly,
> > and in the range of 48-51:
>
> Good.
>
> > I didn't realize that ACPI is related to interrupt management
> > as well as power control. Is there any downside to using ACPI?
>
> The downside to ACPI is that it's a complex standard, and with
> complexity
> comes the inevitable bugs. As you just found out, it does a lot more
> than
> just power control (the "C" is for "Configuration").
>
> On some machines the ACPI support is even more broken than other BIOS
> tables, but it's getting better.

I infer from this discussion that the old (2.2.x-era) rule-of-thumb
about disabling ACPI for SMP systems is now dangerous advice. True?
(Even for a 2.4.x series kernel?) Any other "gotchas" with ACPI and SMP
systems?

Frank Horowitz

only message in thread, other threads:[~2003-11-05  9:12 UTC | newest]