* BCM5700, 1000 Mbps driver
@ 2001-06-11 21:06 Thomas Langås
From: Thomas Langås @ 2001-06-11 21:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

I know there's a driver for this floating around (I found mine through
search dell.com's pages), and I wondering if this is a driver that is in the
"testing phase" before it's going into the kernel, or if it's just a driver
provided by Dell?  The driver I found, was both pre-compiled as a module,
and given as source code. The only problem is that I can't get the
pre-compiled version to work on other things than std. redhat 7.x kernel
(ie. std. kernel when you install redhat, that is).  I can't get the source
code to compile either.

So, to sum up;

* Are there anyone testing/maintaing this driver, trying to get it into the
  standard kernel source?
* If not, would it be rude for me to make it work with the latest kernels,
  and then submitt it? (I won't take credit for anything I haven't done, but
  since I haven't written the driver itself, I don't know what you guys think)

--
-Thomas

* Re: BCM5700, 1000 Mbps driver
@ 2001-06-11 21:15 ` Alan Cox
From: Alan Cox @ 2001-06-11 21:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tlan; +Cc: linux-kernel

> * Are there anyone testing/maintaing this driver, trying to get it into the
>   standard kernel source?

Not right now that I know of. Nobody who read the source code did anything
more constructive than run to throw up.

> * If not, would it be rude for me to make it work with the latest kernels,
>   and then submitt it? (I won't take credit for anything I haven't done, but
>   since I haven't written the driver itself, I don't know what you guys think)

It does want a lot of clean up as well but go for it. I'm sure you will get
plenty of comments on what needs cleaning up

* Re: BCM5700, 1000 Mbps driver
@ 2001-06-11 21:35   ` Thomas Langås
From: Thomas Langås @ 2001-06-11 21:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alan Cox; +Cc: tlan, linux-kernel

Alan Cox:
> > * Are there anyone testing/maintaing this driver, trying to get it into the
> >   standard kernel source?
> Not right now that I know of. Nobody who read the source code did anything
> more constructive than run to throw up.

Are there any places (besides other drivers in the kernel) to look for
documents on how to write module-drivers/in-kernel drivers?

> > * If not, would it be rude for me to make it work with the latest kernels,
> >   and then submitt it? (I won't take credit for anything I haven't done, but
> >   since I haven't written the driver itself, I don't know what you guys think)
> It does want a lot of clean up as well but go for it. I'm sure you will get
> plenty of comments on what needs cleaning up

Should I start by giving people a link to the source code? ;)  We need this
driver by the end of this summer, so I thought that making something that
could go in the std. kernel-tree was the best way of doing things. That way
we don't have to patch stuff each time either.

--
-Thomas

* Re: BCM5700, 1000 Mbps driver
@ 2001-06-11 22:09     ` Alan Cox
From: Alan Cox @ 2001-06-11 22:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tlan; +Cc: Alan Cox, linux-kernel

> Are there any places (besides other drivers in the kernel) to look for
> documents on how to write module-drivers/in-kernel drivers?

I'd actually suggest

	Documentation/CodingStyle

as a good starting point. Its probably worth making the code clean and easy
to read before trying to do other stuff to it. Its a lot easier to prove
your own changes are correct if you do that after you've proved a reformat and
tidy didnt break it

> Should I start by giving people a link to the source code? ;)  We need this

Sure

* Re: BCM5700, 1000 Mbps driver
@ 2001-06-11 23:35       ` Thomas Langås
From: Thomas Langås @ 2001-06-11 23:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alan Cox; +Cc: tlan, linux-kernel

Alan Cox:
> > Should I start by giving people a link to the source code? ;)  We need this
> Sure

Here it goes:

http://www.stud.ntnu.no/~tlan/bcm5700/

All my work with this thing will be placed here, hopefully, this will end up
in something that is included in the std. kernel tree.

--
-Thomas