* About 2.5.70-mm3
@ 2003-05-31 12:09 ismail (cartman) donmez
       [not found] ` <20030531104443.63cb1445.akpm@digeo.com>
From: ismail (cartman) donmez @ 2003-05-31 12:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Hi Andrew,

I tried today 2.5.70-mm3 today and on an ext3 filesystem sytem startup
improved like 5-6 seconds same goes for X ( Compared to vanilla 2.5.70 ). Is
it because of "anticipatory scheduling elevator" or any other trick?

Regards,
/ismail

* Re: About 2.5.70-mm3
       [not found] ` <20030531104443.63cb1445.akpm@digeo.com>
@ 2003-05-31 20:21   ` ismail (cartman) donmez
From: ismail (cartman) donmez @ 2003-05-31 20:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Morton; +Cc: linux-kernel

On Saturday 31 May 2003 20:44, you wrote:
> There's a little hack in there which speeds up the loading of executables:
> when someone does a mmap of a file with executable permissions the kernel
> will slurp it all into pagecache during the mmap.  That tends to speed up
> program loading quite a lot, because the normal demand-loading produces
> quite poor I/O patterns.
Cool

> I had a vague feeling that this code wasn't working actually, and
> reimplemented it for -mm4.
You do not really feel it in X but on system startup its *quite* impressive.

Regards,
/ismail

* Re: About 2.5.70-mm3
@ 2003-06-02  6:06     ` Valdis.Kletnieks