* Network device with variable hard header len
@ 2009-01-10 11:28 Dmitry Eremin-Solenikov
From: Dmitry Eremin-Solenikov @ 2009-01-10 11:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Hi,

Sorry if this a dumb question. Currently I'm programming a driver for
the devices with variable network header len. From the Linux net stack
perspective what should I do: set netdev->hard_header_len to maximum
possible header and use less space that specified there or set
netdev->needed_headroom to that value?

If that metters, I'll be implementing my own set of header_ops in any
case.

Thank you

--
With best wishes
Dmitry

* Re: Network device with variable hard header len
@ 2009-01-12 11:48 ` Mark Brown
From: Mark Brown @ 2009-01-12 11:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dmitry Eremin-Solenikov; +Cc: linux-kernel, netdev

On Sat, Jan 10, 2009 at 02:28:12PM +0300, Dmitry Eremin-Solenikov wrote:

> Sorry if this a dumb question. Currently I'm programming a driver for
> the devices with variable network header len. From the Linux net stack
> perspective what should I do: set netdev->hard_header_len to maximum
> possible header and use less space that specified there or set
> netdev->needed_headroom to that value?

> If that metters, I'll be implementing my own set of header_ops in any
> case.

This is probably better asked on netdev (CCed).