* Re: [Qemu-devel] Nested KVM is weird?
       [not found] <CA+g7VZ3kFEGjeiQLnoK4GFAYU4=Y-4HU1gzz15A-sCO406qekQ@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2014-06-01 10:59 ` Muli Ben-Yehuda
       [not found]   ` <CA+g7VZ05M3NV11A1c4tsnAuBCdvdnirOk-==s2rP1MrrpU909g@mail.gmail.com>
From: Muli Ben-Yehuda @ 2014-06-01 10:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jun Koi; +Cc: linux-kernel, qemu-devel

On Sun, Jun 01, 2014 at 05:54:25PM +0700, Jun Koi wrote:

> So this means ESXi never uses VMResume/VMLaunch? How is this
> possible, because it uses VMX for its implementation?

ESXi will fall back to binary translation if it decides that it cannot
use VMX for some reason. Look at the L2's log file inside ESXi and you
will likely find some errors related to running nested, MSRs KVM does
not emulate properly, or something else that causes ESXi to use binary
translation for its L2.

Cheers,
Muli

@ 2014-06-03 10:53     ` Muli Ben-Yehuda
From: Muli Ben-Yehuda @ 2014-06-03 10:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jun Koi; +Cc: linux-kernel, qemu-devel

On Sun, Jun 01, 2014 at 11:30:02PM +0700, Jun Koi wrote:

> (1) do you think this VM_EXIT_LOAD_IA32_PERF_GLOBAL_CTRL is the
>     reason why ESXi falls back to binary translation?

It might be, its been a while since I got ESXi to use VMX on KVM. Take
a look at the VMware log file for the L2, it should have a lot more
information.

Cheers,
Muli