* Q&A from "Concurrency with tools/memory-model"
@ 2018-11-15 22:56 Paul E. McKenney
From: Paul E. McKenney @ 2018-11-15 22:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel, linux-arch, mingo
  Cc: stern, parri.andrea, will.deacon, peterz, boqun.feng, npiggin,
	dhowells, j.alglave, luc.maranget, akiyks

Hello!

Good turnout and some good questions here in Vancouver BC, please see
below for rough notes.  ;-)

							Thanx, Paul

"Concurrency with tools/memory-model"

Andrea Parri presenting.

Rough notes of Q&A.

o	Want atomic bit operation.

o	But smp_read_barrier_depends() not there, so how to note pairing?
	A:  Note the dependency as the other end of the pairing.

o	Speculation barriers, as in Spectre and Meltdown?  A: This would
	require adding timing, not in the immediate future.

o	What ordering does system calls provide?  A: None that we know of.
	Boqun: Userspace needs to explicitly provide the needed ordering
	when interacting with the kernel.  Some architectures do provide
	full barriers, but not to be counted on.

o	Why herd7?  A: Based on other formalizations -- note that herd7
	had a number of hardware models.  Paul: Plus the founder of the
	LKMM project is a co-author of herd, which might have had some
	effect.

o	Why not also model interrupts and NMIs?  Promela and spin have
	been used for this.  A: Cannot currently model them.  You can
	emulated them with additional threads and locks, if you wish.
	Vincent Nimal and Lihao Liang have done some academic work on
	these topics.

* Re: Q&A from "Concurrency with tools/memory-model"
@ 2018-11-27 11:55 ` Andrea Parri
From: Andrea Parri @ 2018-11-27 11:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul E. McKenney
  Cc: linux-kernel, linux-arch, mingo, stern, parri.andrea,
	will.deacon, peterz, boqun.feng, npiggin, dhowells, j.alglave,
	luc.maranget, akiyks