* SUBDIRS= replacement
@ 2019-01-17 14:55 Christoph Hellwig
From: Christoph Hellwig @ 2019-01-17 14:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Masahiro Yamada, Michal Marek; +Cc: linux-kbuild, linux-kernel

Hi Masahiro, hi Michal,

I just got this beatiful warning:

hch@carbon:~/work/xfs$ make -j4 SUBDIRS=fs/xfs
Makefile:189: ================= WARNING ================
Makefile:190: 'SUBDIRS' will be removed after Linux 5.3
Makefile:191: Please use 'M=' or 'KBUILD_EXTMOD' instead
Makefile:192: ==========================================

Both the replacement seem to be geared towards building externals
modules.  But what is the replacement for just building a directory
of the normal kernel tree?

E.g. what hit this is that I rebased an XFS series, and wanted to
compile test just the xfs code for each step using

make -j4 SUBDIRS=fs/xfs

* Re: SUBDIRS= replacement
@ 2019-01-17 16:29 ` Sam Ravnborg
From: Sam Ravnborg @ 2019-01-17 16:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christoph Hellwig
  Cc: Masahiro Yamada, Michal Marek, linux-kbuild, linux-kernel

Hi Christoph

On Thu, Jan 17, 2019 at 03:55:31PM +0100, Christoph Hellwig wrote:
> Hi Masahiro, hi Michal,
>
> I just got this beatiful warning:
>
> hch@carbon:~/work/xfs$ make -j4 SUBDIRS=fs/xfs
> Makefile:189: ================= WARNING ================
> Makefile:190: 'SUBDIRS' will be removed after Linux 5.3
> Makefile:191: Please use 'M=' or 'KBUILD_EXTMOD' instead
> Makefile:192: ==========================================
>
> Both the replacement seem to be geared towards building externals
> modules.  But what is the replacement for just building a directory
> of the normal kernel tree?
>
> E.g. what hit this is that I rebased an XFS series, and wanted to
> compile test just the xfs code for each step using
>
> make -j4 SUBDIRS=fs/xfs

Try:

make -j4 fs/xfs/

This is the recommend way to do so.
Let us know if you see problem with this approach.

	Sam

* Re: SUBDIRS= replacement
@ 2019-01-17 17:09   ` Christoph Hellwig
From: Christoph Hellwig @ 2019-01-17 17:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sam Ravnborg
  Cc: Christoph Hellwig, Masahiro Yamada, Michal Marek, linux-kbuild,
	linux-kernel

On Thu, Jan 17, 2019 at 05:29:21PM +0100, Sam Ravnborg wrote:
> Try:
>
> make -j4 fs/xfs/
>
> This is the recommend way to do so.
> Let us know if you see problem with this approach.

Yes, that seems to work.  I think the warning should suggest that as
well, as it probably is the more common use compare to building
external modules.