From: Pavel Begunkov <asml.silence@gmail.com>
To: Thomas Gleixner <tglx@linutronix.de>,
	Jens Axboe <axboe@kernel.dk>,
	io-uring@vger.kernel.org
Cc: Andres Freund <andres@anarazel.de>,
	Ingo Molnar <mingo@redhat.com>,
	Peter Zijlstra <peterz@infradead.org>,
	Darren Hart <dvhart@infradead.org>,
	Davidlohr Bueso <dave@stgolabs.net>,
	linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org, Chris Mason <clm@fb.com>
Subject: Re: [RFC 4/4] io_uring: implement futex wait
Date: Mon, 7 Jun 2021 13:14:22 +0100	[thread overview]

On 6/5/21 3:09 AM, Thomas Gleixner wrote:
[...]
> Here is _all_ the information you provided:
>
>  0) Cover letter:
>
>    > Proof of concept for io_uring futex requests. The wake side does
>    > FUTEX_WAKE_OP type of modify-compare operation but with a single
>    > address. Wait reqs go through io-wq and so slow path.
>
>   Describes WHAT it is supposed to do, but not at all WHY.
>
>    Plus it describes it in terms which are maybe understandable for
>    io-uring aware people, but certainly not for the general audience.

I actually agree with that and going to add it once I get details
I needed.

>    > Should be interesting for a bunch of people, so we should first outline
>    > API and capabilities it should give.
>
>   You post patches which _should_ be interesting for a unspecified bunch
>   of people, but you have no idea what the API and capabilities should
>   be?

That's word carping. Some of the cases were known, but was more
interested atm in others I heard only a brief idea about, that's
why that person was CC'ed.

>   IOW, this follows the design principle of: Throw stuff at the wall and
>   see what sticks?

Exactly what it is *not*. Emails were chosen to clarify details,
nobody tells it wouldn't be reworked and adjusted. Do you imply
I should discuss ideas privately?

>   But at the same time you want feedback from the people responsible for
>   the subsystems you are modifying without providing the required
>   information and worse:
>
>    > As I almost never had to deal with futexes myself, would especially
>    > love to hear use case, what might be lacking and other blind spots.
>
>   So you came up with a solution with no use case and expect the futex
>   people or whoever to figure out what you actually want to solve?

Again, not true. Where did you get that?

[...]
> Now let me quote Documentation/process/submitting-patches.rst:
>
>   "Describe your problem.  Whether your patch is a one-line bug fix or
>    5000 lines of a new feature, there must be an underlying problem that
>    motivated you to do this work.  Convince the reviewer that there is a
>    problem worth fixing and that it makes sense for them to read past the
>    first paragraph."
>
> Can you seriously point me to a single sentence in the above verbatim
> quotes from your cover letter and changelogs which complies with that rule?
>
> It does not matter whether this is RFC or not. You simply ignore well
> documented rules and then you get upset because I told you so:
>
>  > 1) The proposed solution: I can't figure out from the changelogs or the
>  >    cover letter what kind of problems it solves and what the exact
>  >    semantics are. If you ever consider to submit futex patches, may I
>  >    recommend to study Documentation/process and get some inspiration
>  >    from git-log?
>
> And what's worse, you get impertinent about it:

Impertinent? Was just keeping up with your nice way of conveying
ideas. FWIW, it's not in particularly related to this small chunk
above at all.

>  > I'm sorry you're incapable of grasping ideas quick
>
> Sure. I'm incompetent and stupid just because I can't figure out your
> brilliant ideas which are so well described - let me quote again:

That's your own interpretation, can't help you with that

[...]
> What's galling about that?
>
>   - You wasted _my_ time by _not_ providing the information which I need
>     to digest your submission.
>
>   - I went way beyond what Documentation/process/ says and read past the
>     first paragraph of useless information.
>
>   - I provided you a detailed technical feedback nevertheless
>
> And as a result you attack me at a non-technical level. So where exactly
> is the "we" and who started galling?

If you think it was an attack, your response might have been interpreted
in a such way as well, even though it haven't by me. There are enough of
weird phrases and implications in your reply, but I have no intention
of going through it and picking up on every phrase, would be useless

--
Pavel Begunkov