From: Jeremy Kerr <jeremy.kerr@canonical.com>
To: "H. Peter Anvin" <hpa@zytor.com>
Cc: linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org, Matthew Garrett <mjg@redhat.com>,
	Matt Fleming <matt.fleming@intel.com>,
	Matt Domsch <Matt_Domsch@Dell.com>
Subject: Re: [RFC,PATCH] efi: Add support for a UEFI variable filesystem
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2012 08:42:01 +0800	[thread overview]

Hi hpa,

Thanks for the review!

> However, I have a question... rather than putting the attributes as the
> first data bytes, would it be better to make it either part of the
> filename (assuming there is at least one character other than / which
> can be reasonably relied upon to not be part of the name); for example:
>
> 	LangCodes,BS,RT
>
> ... or ...
>
> 	LangCodes,6

This will get tricky when handling EFI_VARIABLE_APPEND_WRITE: this
attribute will never appear in the attributes returned by GetVariable(),
but may be passed to SetVariable(). If we put attributes in the
filename, we'd need to handle writes to both names, and/or have
duplicate dentries for each variable. We could do it, but the filesystem
interface might be a little messy.

[Supporting append writes is essential for key database updates, which
may be signed]

Cheers,

Jeremy