* Long term stable kernel seletion (3.0)
@ 2012-01-27  5:24 naveen yadav
From: naveen yadav @ 2012-01-27  5:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Greg KH, Russell King - ARM Linux, Catalin Marinas, linux-kernel

Dear All,

Recently Greg decide and select linux 3.0 for long term.

http://www.kroah.com/log/
3.0.y - this is the new "longterm" kernel release, it will be
maintained for 2 years at the minimum by me.

PS. Catalin+ Greg
So I have one request from Mr. Catalin and Greg.

Is ARM-15 support will be added in this or not. ?

Thanks

* Re: Long term stable kernel seletion (3.0)
@ 2012-01-27 11:24 ` Catalin Marinas
From: Catalin Marinas @ 2012-01-27 11:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: naveen yadav; +Cc: Greg KH, Russell King - ARM Linux, linux-kernel

On Fri, Jan 27, 2012 at 05:24:42AM +0000, naveen yadav wrote:
> Recently Greg decide and select linux 3.0 for long term.
>
> http://www.kroah.com/log/
> 3.0.y - this is the new "longterm" kernel release, it will be
> maintained for 2 years at the minimum by me.
>
> PS. Catalin+ Greg
> So I have one request from Mr. Catalin and Greg.
>
> Is ARM-15 support will be added in this or not. ?

It depends on how much Cortex-A15 support you mean. UP with classic MMU
is already supported as it's an ARMv7 processor. SMP with classic MMU
got merged in 3.1-rc1 (commit 7665d9d2df - "ARM: proc: add proc info for
Cortex-A15MP using classic page tables"). ARM LPAE was merged in 3.3-rc1
and generic timers probably during the next merging window.

ARM LPAE and generic timers are unlikely to be back-ported to 3.0
(though I have some patches around but they need considerable amount of
timer for maintaining in a long-term release).

--
Catalin

* Re: Long term stable kernel seletion (3.0)
@ 2012-01-27 13:17   ` naveen yadav
From: naveen yadav @ 2012-01-27 13:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Catalin Marinas; +Cc: Greg KH, Russell King - ARM Linux, linux-kernel

Thanks a lot Catalin,

we do not want to use LPAE featue and virtulisation feature of cortex -A15,
 then still I need generic timers  ?. or they are used in virtulasiation ..

Thanks

@ 2012-01-27 14:25     ` Catalin Marinas
From: Catalin Marinas @ 2012-01-27 14:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: naveen yadav; +Cc: Greg KH, Russell King - ARM Linux, linux-kernel

On Fri, Jan 27, 2012 at 01:17:41PM +0000, naveen yadav wrote:
> we do not want to use LPAE featue and virtulisation feature of cortex -A15,
>  then still I need generic timers  ?. or they are used in virtulasiation ..

The generic timers are useful on SMP as that's the only way to get local
timers on A15. Otherwise, just use a global timer and IPIs (they are
also useful in a virtualised environment but that depends on the
hypervisor).

--
Catalin

* Re: Long term stable kernel seletion (3.0)
@ 2012-01-27 14:56 ` Greg KH
From: Greg KH @ 2012-01-27 14:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: naveen yadav; +Cc: Russell King - ARM Linux, Catalin Marinas, linux-kernel

On Fri, Jan 27, 2012 at 10:54:42AM +0530, naveen yadav wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> Recently Greg decide and select linux 3.0 for long term.
>
> http://www.kroah.com/log/
> 3.0.y - this is the new "longterm" kernel release, it will be
> maintained for 2 years at the minimum by me.
>
> PS. Catalin+ Greg
> So I have one request from Mr. Catalin and Greg.
>
> Is ARM-15 support will be added in this or not. ?

No new features get added to stable or longterm supported kernels,
please see the rules for what gets added to these kernels in the file,
Documentation/stable_kernel_rules.txt.

So if it isn't there already, it's not going to be, sorry.

greg k-h