* Re: turning off APIC
@ 2002-09-16  1:28 Mikael Pettersson
From: Mikael Pettersson @ 2002-09-16  1:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: arysin, linux-kernel

On Sun, 15 Sep 2002 14:28:44 +0300, Andriy Rysin wrote:
>If APIC is compiled in the kernel (wich is the case with most
>distributions) when I start kernel with "noapic" option, APIC is getting
>enabled anyway and only later gets disabled. This causes problems on
>some VAIO notebooks - it seems like BIOS gets confused if APIC was
>turned on (particularly on my laptop when I try to reboot from Linux it
>hangs saying that thera problems with keyboard). That would be much
>better to have an option to turn it off in the boot options and not to
>recompile the kernel. Could somebody comment this please?
>Please CC me on this email address.

Which APIC? local or I/O? Please be specific.
"noapic" does not and never has had anything to do with the
local APIC, only the I/O APIC. There is currently no kernel
option for preventing the local APIC from being enabled if
the kernel was built with local APIC support.

You have four options:
1. Recompile with CONFIG_SMP=n and CONFIG_X86_LOCAL_APIC=n.
2. Run dmidecode on your Vaio, dig out the identification strings,
   and add them to arch/i386/kernel/dmi_scan.c's local APIC
   blacklist.
3. Add a __setup in arch/i386/kernel/apic.c after the declaration
   for dont_enable_local_apic, which sets it to 1.
4. Tell Sony to fix the Vaio's BIOS.

/Mikael

* Re: turning off APIC
@ 2002-09-16 12:15 ` Maciej W. Rozycki
From: Maciej W. Rozycki @ 2002-09-16 12:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mikael Pettersson; +Cc: arysin, linux-kernel

On Mon, 16 Sep 2002, Mikael Pettersson wrote:

> Which APIC? local or I/O? Please be specific.
> "noapic" does not and never has had anything to do with the
> local APIC, only the I/O APIC. There is currently no kernel
> option for preventing the local APIC from being enabled if
> the kernel was built with local APIC support.

 Well, "nosmp" does exactly that for a SMP-capable kernel -- it could be
trivially reused for a UP-APIC configuration (the case is obscure enough
not to invent another option).

* Re: turning off APIC
@ 2002-09-16 19:53 Andriy Rysin
From: Andriy Rysin @ 2002-09-16 19:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

> On Sun, 15 Sep 2002 14:28:44 +0300, Andriy Rysin wrote:
> >If APIC is compiled in the kernel (wich is the case with most
> >distributions) when I start kernel with "noapic" option, APIC is getting
> >enabled anyway and only later gets disabled. This causes problems on
> >some VAIO notebooks - it seems like BIOS gets confused if APIC was
> >turned on (particularly on my laptop when I try to reboot from Linux it
> >hangs saying that thera problems with keyboard). That would be much
> >better to have an option to turn it off in the boot options and not to
> >recompile the kernel. Could somebody comment this please?
> >Please CC me on this email address.
>
> Which APIC? local or I/O? Please be specific.
> "noapic" does not and never has had anything to do with the
> local APIC, only the I/O APIC. There is currently no kernel
> option for preventing the local APIC from being enabled if
> the kernel was built with local APIC support.
>
> You have four options:
> 1. Recompile with CONFIG_SMP=n and CONFIG_X86_LOCAL_APIC=n.
> 2. Run dmidecode on your Vaio, dig out the identification strings,
>    and add them to arch/i386/kernel/dmi_scan.c's local APIC
>    blacklist.
> 3. Add a __setup in arch/i386/kernel/apic.c after the declaration
>    for dont_enable_local_apic, which sets it to 1.
> 4. Tell Sony to fix the Vaio's BIOS.
>
> /Mikael

Thanks Mikael, item 2) seems to be most reasonable. I did not know there
are different APICs, though what's interesting is the line in
kernel-parameters.txt

    noapic        [SMP,APIC] Tells the kernel not to make use of any
            APIC that may be present on the system.

Note: not to make use of _ANY_ APIC that may be present......
I would suggest either "noapic" should turn off ALL APICs as is
described in the doc or fix the doc. Personally I like fist option
better though second is much simplier.

Andriy

* turning off APIC
@ 2002-09-15 11:28 Andriy Rysin