* 2.4.4 isapnp - wrong set of resources chosen
@ 2001-06-10 23:47 John Fremlin
From: John Fremlin @ 2001-06-10 23:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: perex; +Cc: Robin Cull, linux-kernel

Hi!

Robin Cull and I have OPL3-SA2 isapnp cards. Sometimes we get assigned
the wrong resource set. These cards do not take kindly to Alternate
resources 0:1 Priority acceptable, in fact they are completely broke,
so it is important to us that they get their first choice ;-)

The trouble is that isapnp auto conf does not always take the first
choice, even when it is available! This happens to me everytime I
unload and reload the opl3sa2 module, but can also be seen after
unloading the module by doing

card 0 YMH0020
dev 0 YMH0021
deactivate
auto
activate

The second config is chosen (see attached /proc/isapnp). However,
activating the first config by hand works fine - on reloading the
module it plays sounds just dandy.

card 0 YMH0020
dev 0 YMH0021
deactivate
port 0 0x220
port 1 0x530
port 2 0x388
port 3 0x330
port 4 0x370
dma 0 0
dma 1 1
irq 0 5
activate

[-- Attachment #2: isapnp --]

[-- Attachment #3: ioports --]

[-- Attachment #4: interrupts --]

	http://ape.n3.net

* Re: 2.4.4 isapnp - wrong set of resources chosen
@ 2001-06-11  3:41 ` Scott Murray
From: Scott Murray @ 2001-06-11  3:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Fremlin; +Cc: perex, Robin Cull, linux-kernel

On 11 Jun 2001, John Fremlin wrote:

> Hi!
>
> Robin Cull and I have OPL3-SA2 isapnp cards. Sometimes we get assigned
> the wrong resource set. These cards do not take kindly to Alternate
> resources 0:1 Priority acceptable, in fact they are completely broke,
> so it is important to us that they get their first choice ;-)
>
> The trouble is that isapnp auto conf does not always take the first
> choice, even when it is available! This happens to me everytime I
> unload and reload the opl3sa2 module, but can also be seen after
> unloading the module by doing
[snip]

Hmmm, interesting.  I'd noticed this when testing the ISA PnP changes
to the driver, but since the config the in-kernel PnP code was picking
worked on the two machines I tried, I thought it was a relatively
harmless glitch.  I had little success parsing the PnP driver myself
when I tried, and unfortunately I've little time for working in depth
on sound stuff at the moment.  I'm willing to test out any suggestions,
though.

Scott

--
Scott Murray