* Floppy in 2.6
@ 2003-10-28 22:20 Jakub Krajcovic
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Jakub Krajcovic @ 2003-10-28 22:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Hi everybody, this might be a stupid question, but here goes anyway:

I've been using the 2.6 test kernels from when -test4 was released, but only today have i noticed that my floppy drive is nowhere to be found.

I've checked the in the menu for the kernel config (make menuconfig) and i did not find the  "block devices > normal floppy support" option (as it was called in the 2.4 kernels) anywhere, and there is no /dev/fd0 on my system.

In 2.4 there was the option for "normal floppy support" and I have the /dev/fd0 device for my floppy when I boot the old 2.4.22 kernel. So my question is: does the 2.6 kernel support normal floppy disks or not? And if it does, how do I enable this support in order to use my floppy drive.

thanx in advance

* Re: Floppy in 2.6
@ 2003-10-28 22:41 ` Randy.Dunlap
From: Randy.Dunlap @ 2003-10-28 22:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jakub Krajcovic; +Cc: linux-kernel

On Tue, 28 Oct 2003 23:20:54 +0100 Jakub Krajcovic <news.receive@zoznam.sk> wrote:

| Hi everybody, this might be a stupid question, but here goes anyway:
|
| I've been using the 2.6 test kernels from when -test4 was released, but only today have i noticed that my floppy drive is nowhere to be found.
|
| I've checked the in the menu for the kernel config (make menuconfig) and i did not find the  "block devices > normal floppy support" option (as it was called in the 2.4 kernels) anywhere, and there is no /dev/fd0 on my system.

It's the first item listed under Block devices: Normal floppy disk support

It won't be listed for PC9800 or S/390 hardware.

| In 2.4 there was the option for "normal floppy support" and I have the /dev/fd0 device for my floppy when I boot the old 2.4.22 kernel. So my question is: does the 2.6 kernel support normal floppy disks or not? And if it does, how do I enable this support in order to use my floppy drive.

Yes.  What kind of system hardware?
Check for "CONFIG_BLK_DEV_FD" in the .config file.

--
~Randy

* Re: Floppy in 2.6
@ 2003-10-28 22:42 ` Måns Rullgård
From: Måns Rullgård @ 2003-10-28 22:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Jakub Krajcovic <news.receive@zoznam.sk> writes:

> In 2.4 there was the option for "normal floppy support" and I have the
> /dev/fd0 device for my floppy when I boot the old 2.4.22 kernel. So my
> question is: does the 2.6 kernel support normal floppy disks or not?
> And if it does, how do I enable this support in order to use my floppy
> drive.

It's there.  In menuconfig it's "Device Drivers" -> "Block devices" ->
"Normal floppy disk support".

Who uses floppy disks nowadays, anyway?

--
Måns Rullgård
mru@kth.se

* Re: Floppy in 2.6
@ 2003-10-29  3:46   ` M. Fioretti
From: M. Fioretti @ 2003-10-29  3:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

On Tue, Oct 28, 2003 23:42:12 at 11:42:12PM +0100, Måns Rullgård (mru@kth.se) wrote:

> Who uses floppy disks nowadays, anyway?

The many, many people who do need new kernel functionalities, but need
to control all their existing hardware and simply won't trash a
perfectly good PC just because it's the trendy thing to do, since:

they can find a ton of more meaningful uses of the same money (dance
classes, extra days of vacation, clothes, theater...)

they simply don't have that money

See the project in my signature, or the "Unbloating the kernel" thread
here for the big picture.

Ciao,
	Marco Fioretti

--
Marco Fioretti                 m.fioretti, at the server inwind.it

"Get real! This is a discussion group, not a helpdesk. You post
something, we discuss its implications. If the discussion happens to
answer a question you've asked, that's incidental."
				 -- nobull in comp.lang.perl.misc

* Re: Floppy in 2.6
@ 2003-10-29  8:42 ` Konstantin Kletschke
From: Konstantin Kletschke @ 2003-10-29  8:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jakub Krajcovic; +Cc: linux-kernel

* Jakub Krajcovic <news.receive@zoznam.sk> [Tue, Oct 28, 2003 at 11:20:54PM +0100]:

> I've been using the 2.6 test kernels from when  -test4  was  released,
> but only today have i noticed that my floppy drive is  nowhere  to  be
> found.

Enable ISA-Bus Support. Then, as the others point out, first item in
Block Devices.

Konsti

--
2.6.0-test6-mm4
Konstantin Kletschke <konsti@ludenkalle.de>, <konsti@ku-gbr.de>

* Re: Floppy in 2.6
@ 2003-10-29 16:17   ` Randy.Dunlap
From: Randy.Dunlap @ 2003-10-29 16:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Konstantin Kletschke; +Cc: news.receive, linux-kernel

On Wed, 29 Oct 2003 09:42:12 +0100 Konstantin Kletschke <konsti@ludenkalle.de> wrote:

| * Jakub Krajcovic <news.receive@zoznam.sk> [Tue, Oct 28, 2003 at 11:20:54PM +0100]:
| >
| > I've been using the 2.6 test kernels from when  -test4  was  released,
| > but only today have i noticed that my floppy drive is  nowhere  to  be
| > found.
|
| Enable ISA-Bus Support. Then, as the others point out, first item in
| Block Devices.

Seems like there was a time when CONFIG_ISA was required.
Ah yes, reverted on Oct. 9, 2003.
In 2.6.0-test9, BLK_DEV_FD does not depend on ISA at all.

--
~Randy

* Re: Floppy in 2.6
@ 2003-11-10 23:21   ` bill davidsen
From: bill davidsen @ 2003-11-10 23:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

In article <yw1xekwxx9vf.fsf@kth.se>,
=?iso-8859-1?q?M=E5ns_Rullg=E5rd?= <mru@kth.se> wrote:
| Jakub Krajcovic <news.receive@zoznam.sk> writes:
|
| > In 2.4 there was the option for "normal floppy support" and I have the
| > /dev/fd0 device for my floppy when I boot the old 2.4.22 kernel. So my
| > question is: does the 2.6 kernel support normal floppy disks or not?
| > And if it does, how do I enable this support in order to use my floppy
| > drive.
|
| It's there.  In menuconfig it's "Device Drivers" -> "Block devices" ->
| "Normal floppy disk support".
|
| Who uses floppy disks nowadays, anyway?

People who are non-power users, people who support hardware devices
which use them and which cost too much to scrap and replace.

If I could find a good way to attach old 8 inch floppies to a PC using
reasonably available hardware I would, it would allow me to retire what
I use now. Since there's money in being able to do that, I do.
--
bill davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com>
  CTO, TMR Associates, Inc