lustre-devel-lustre.org archive mirror
* [lustre-devel] Cannot find documentation or comment blocks specifically defining lnet metrics
@ 2024-01-22 19:35 Jeff Johnson
From: Jeff Johnson @ 2024-01-22 19:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lustre-devel

Greetings all...

I'm modifying a Lustre metrics reporting tool and incorporating lnet
metrics into the data gathered. I dug through all the documentation I could
find and looked through source for comment blocks and didn't find anything
definitive. I'm hoping someone here could clarify. While some metrics are
obvious (*_drop) others I would rather not develop to based on assumptions.

msgs_alloc
msgs_max
rst_alloc
send_count
recv_count
route_count
drop_count
send_length
recv_length
route_length
drop_length

If someone can point me to the document that clearly defines the above I'd
appreciate it, so far I can't find any. As I said I don't want to develop
based on assumptions.

For example, when sampled over a short period of time does...

((X_length / X_count) / # samples) = avg rpc size of X type?

Send, Recv, Route and Drop are fairly clear. Length and Count I am assuming
are just that, n bytes and IOs. msgs_alloc, msgs_max, rst_alloc are less
obvious.

Thanks!

--Jeff

* Re: [lustre-devel] Cannot find documentation or comment blocks specifically defining lnet metrics
@ 2024-01-22 20:39 ` Andreas Dilger via lustre-devel
From: Andreas Dilger via lustre-devel @ 2024-01-22 20:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jeff Johnson; +Cc: lustre-devel

Did you try wiki.whamcloud.com<http://wiki.whamcloud.com>?  Amir used to like creating pages for LNet there, so there might be something.

Otherwise, I can't really help with the LNet questions.

On Jan 22, 2024, at 12:35, Jeff Johnson <jeff.johnson@aeoncomputing.com<mailto:jeff.johnson@aeoncomputing.com>> wrote:

[...]

Cheers, Andreas
--
Andreas Dilger
Lustre Principal Architect

* Re: [lustre-devel] Cannot find documentation or comment blocks specifically defining lnet metrics
@ 2024-01-22 21:15   ` Jeff Johnson
From: Jeff Johnson @ 2024-01-22 21:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lustre-devel