lustre-devel-lustre.org archive mirror
* [lustre-devel] Strange behavior with tunefs.lustre. Is this a bug?
@ 2024-01-23 17:02 Backer via lustre-devel
From: Backer via lustre-devel @ 2024-01-23 17:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lustre-devel

I am seeing a behavior with tunefs.lustre. After changing the failover node
and trying to mount an OST, getting getting the following error:

The target service's index is already in use. (/dev/sdd)

After the above error, and performing --writeconf once, I can repeat these
steps (see below) any number of times and any OSS without --writeconf.

This is an effort to mount an OST to a new OSS. I reproduced this issue
after simplifying some steps and reproducing the behavior (see below)
consistently. I was wondering if anyone could help me to understand this?

[root@OSS-2 opc]# lctl list_nids

10.99.101.18@tcp1

[root@OSS-2 opc]#

[root@OSS-2 opc]# mkfs.lustre --reformat  --ost --fsname="testfs"
--index="64"  --mgsnode "10.99.101.6@tcp1" --mgsnode "10.99.101.7@tcp1"
--servicenode "10.99.101.18@tcp1" "/dev/sdd"

   Permanent disk data:

Target:     testfs:OST0040

Index:      64

Lustre FS:  testfs

Mount type: ldiskfs

Flags:      0x1062

              (OST first_time update no_primnode )

Persistent mount opts: ,errors=remount-ro

Parameters:  mgsnode=10.99.101.6@tcp1:10.99.101.7@tcp1
failover.node=10.99.101.18@tcp1

device size = 51200MB

formatting backing filesystem ldiskfs on /dev/sdd

target name   testfs:OST0040

kilobytes     52428800

options        -J size=1024 -I 512 -i 69905 -q -O
extents,uninit_bg,mmp,dir_nlink,quota,project,huge_file,^fast_commit,flex_bg
-G 256 -E resize="4290772992",lazy_journal_init="0",lazy_itable_init="0" -F

mkfs_cmd = mke2fs -j -b 4096 -L testfs:OST0040  -J size=1024 -I 512 -i
69905 -q -O
extents,uninit_bg,mmp,dir_nlink,quota,project,huge_file,^fast_commit,flex_bg
-G 256 -E resize="4290772992",lazy_journal_init="0",lazy_itable_init="0" -F
/dev/sdd 52428800k

Writing CONFIGS/mountdata

[root@OSS-2 opc]# tunefs.lustre --dryrun /dev/sdd

checking for existing Lustre data: found

   Read previous values:

Target:     testfs-OST0040

Index:      64

Lustre FS:  testfs

Mount type: ldiskfs

Flags:      0x1062

              (OST first_time update no_primnode )

Persistent mount opts: ,errors=remount-ro

Parameters:  mgsnode=10.99.101.6@tcp1:10.99.101.7@tcp1
failover.node=10.99.101.18@tcp1

   Permanent disk data:

Target:     testfs:OST0040

Index:      64

Lustre FS:  testfs

Mount type: ldiskfs

Flags:      0x1062

              (OST first_time update no_primnode )

Persistent mount opts: ,errors=remount-ro

Parameters:  mgsnode=10.99.101.6@tcp1:10.99.101.7@tcp1
failover.node=10.99.101.18@tcp1

exiting before disk write.

[root@OSS-2 opc]#

[root@OSS-2 opc]# tunefs.lustre --erase-param failover.node --servicenode
10.99.101.18@tcp1 /dev/sdd

checking for existing Lustre data: found

   Read previous values:

Target:     testfs-OST0040

Index:      64

Lustre FS:  testfs

Mount type: ldiskfs

Flags:      0x1062

              (OST first_time update no_primnode )

Persistent mount opts: ,errors=remount-ro

Parameters:  mgsnode=10.99.101.6@tcp1:10.99.101.7@tcp1
failover.node=10.99.101.18@tcp1

   Permanent disk data:

Target:     testfs:OST0040

Index:      64

Lustre FS:  testfs

Mount type: ldiskfs

Flags:      0x1062

              (OST first_time update no_primnode )

Persistent mount opts: ,errors=remount-ro

Parameters:  mgsnode=10.99.101.6@tcp1:10.99.101.7@tcp1
failover.node=10.99.101.18@tcp1

Writing CONFIGS/mountdata

[root@OSS-2 opc]# mkdir /testfs-OST0040

[root@OSS-2 opc]# mount -t lustre /dev/sdd  /testfs-OST0040

mount.lustre: increased
'/sys/devices/platform/host5/session3/target5:0:0/5:0:0:1/block/sdd/queue/max_sectors_kb'
from 1024 to 16384

[root@OSS-2 opc]#

[root@OSS-2 opc]# tunefs.lustre --dryrun /dev/sdd

checking for existing Lustre data: found

   Read previous values:

Target:     testfs-OST0040

Index:      64

Lustre FS:  testfs

Mount type: ldiskfs

Flags:      0x1002

              (OST no_primnode )

Persistent mount opts: ,errors=remount-ro

Parameters:  mgsnode=10.99.101.6@tcp1:10.99.101.7@tcp1
failover.node=10.99.101.18@tcp1

   Permanent disk data:

Target:     testfs-OST0040

Index:      64

Lustre FS:  testfs

Mount type: ldiskfs

Flags:      0x1002

              (OST no_primnode )

Persistent mount opts: ,errors=remount-ro

Parameters:  mgsnode=10.99.101.6@tcp1:10.99.101.7@tcp1
failover.node=10.99.101.18@tcp1

exiting before disk write.

[root@OSS-2 opc]#

Going over to OSS-3 and trying to mount OST.  At this stage OSS-2 is
completely powered off.

[root@OSS-3 opc]# lctl list_nids

10.99.101.19@tcp1

[root@OSS-3 opc]#

Parameters looks same as OSS-2

[root@OSS-3 opc]#  tunefs.lustre --dryrun /dev/sdd

[...]

Changing failover node to current node.

[root@OSS-3 opc]# tunefs.lustre --erase-param failover.node --servicenode
10.99.101.19@tcp1 /dev/sdd

checking for existing Lustre data: found

   Read previous values:

Target:     testfs-OST0040

Index:      64

Lustre FS:  testfs

Mount type: ldiskfs

Flags:      0x1002

              (OST no_primnode )

Persistent mount opts: ,errors=remount-ro

Parameters:  mgsnode=10.99.101.6@tcp1:10.99.101.7@tcp1
failover.node=10.99.101.18@tcp1

   Permanent disk data:

Target:     testfs-OST0040

Index:      64

Lustre FS:  testfs

Mount type: ldiskfs

Flags:      0x1042

              (OST update no_primnode )

Persistent mount opts: ,errors=remount-ro

Parameters:  mgsnode=10.99.101.6@tcp1:10.99.101.7@tcp1
failover.node=10.99.101.19@tcp1

<waits here for MPP time out (multi mount protection>

After it completes the write, for some reason this OST is being marked as
'first_time' flag 0x1062 in next command.

[...]

Mount doesn't work here because it is marked as first time and this OST is
not first time as it was already mounted using OST-2 OSS, and MGS knows
about it.

[root@OSS-3 opc]#  mkdir /testfs-OST0040

[root@OSS-3 opc]# mount -t lustre /dev/sdd  /testfs-OST0040

mount.lustre: mount /dev/sdd at /testfs-OST0040 failed: Address already in
use

The target service's index is already in use. (/dev/sdd)

[root@OSS-3 opc]#

From here, if I do tunefs.lustre with --writeconf, it works. Once this is
done, repeating the above experiment any number of times on any servers
works fine as expected without using --writeconf. (FYI Note: --writeconfig
is mentioned as a dangerous command)