openbmc.lists.ozlabs.org archive mirror
From: Patrick Williams <patrick@stwcx.xyz>
To: Ed Tanous <edtanous@google.com>
Cc: OpenBMC Maillist <openbmc@lists.ozlabs.org>
Subject: Re: VR control from the BMC
Date: Tue, 27 Oct 2020 15:26:34 -0500	[thread overview]

On Mon, Oct 26, 2020 at 04:02:22PM -0700, Ed Tanous wrote:
> In the near future, I'm going to have some needs for OpenBMC to be
> able to control VRs.  These VRs might be on the baseboard itself, or
> on detected PCIe add-in-cards, and controlled over PMBus.
> Additionally, I will need a "hardware safe" way for the host to be
> able to modify the behavior of these VRs (usually different voltage
> settings), and to have that interface be constrained in such a way
> that the host can never set a value that's outside of a predefined
> range that's known to be safe for the hardware, which the BMC will own
> the definition of for security purposes.
>
> Does anyone else have similar needs?  I've been pointed to
> phosphor-regulators which has some similar parallels;  As-is, that
> solution won't work for me, because it's relying on fixed, platform
> specific json scripting to accomplish its goals.  My hope would be for
> a more generalized linux devicetree based solution, as well as a
> representation on dbus that could be modified at runtime by
> Redfish/IPMI in band.
>
> Is there any other work I should look into that's similar?  Does
> anyone have any strong opinions on how this should be organized or how
> it could be built?
>
> Thanks,
>
> -Ed

Are these PMBus VRs?  I was able to program limits on a non-BMC project
I was working on using the PMBus interfaces to the VRs we used on that
project.

I did need to write this patch which I'm still suppose to clean up with
some additional clamp_val tweaks to avoid negative numbers.

https://lore.kernel.org/lkml/20191001160407.6265-1-alpawi@amazon.com/

--
Patrick Williams