qemu-devel.nongnu.org archive mirror
* [Qemu-devel] git.qemu.org gitweb misrenders on git/ URLs
@ 2019-08-29 15:48 Stefan Hajnoczi
From: Stefan Hajnoczi @ 2019-08-29 15:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jeff Cody; +Cc: Philippe Mathieu-Daudé, qemu-devel

Hi Jeff,
Philippe noticed that the git HTTPS clone URL
https://git.qemu.org/git/libslirp.git renders a gitweb page that looks
right but has broken links.  The correct gitweb URL listed on
https://git.qemu.org/ is https://git.qemu.org/?p=libslirp.git;a=summary,
but there's a chance that people will open the HTTPS clone URL in their
browser and expect to see gitweb working.

Is it possible to tweak the Apache configuration so that
https://git.qemu.org/git/libslirp.git[/] redirects to the working gitweb
URL?

The tricky part is not breaking HTTPS git clone, which accesses URLs
below https://git.qemu.org/git/libslirp.git/ :).

Thanks,
Stefan

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: [Qemu-devel] git.qemu.org gitweb misrenders on git/ URLs
@ 2019-08-29 16:13 ` Andrea Bolognani
From: Andrea Bolognani @ 2019-08-29 16:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Hajnoczi, Jeff Cody; +Cc: Philippe Mathieu-Daudé, qemu-devel

On Thu, 2019-08-29 at 16:48 +0100, Stefan Hajnoczi wrote:
> Hi Jeff,
> Philippe noticed that the git HTTPS clone URL
> https://git.qemu.org/git/libslirp.git renders a gitweb page that looks
> right but has broken links.  The correct gitweb URL listed on
> https://git.qemu.org/ is https://git.qemu.org/?p=libslirp.git;a=summary,
> but there's a chance that people will open the HTTPS clone URL in their
> browser and expect to see gitweb working.
>
> Is it possible to tweak the Apache configuration so that
> https://git.qemu.org/git/libslirp.git[/] redirects to the working gitweb
> URL?
>
> The tricky part is not breaking HTTPS git clone, which accesses URLs
> below https://git.qemu.org/git/libslirp.git/ :).

I know that's not quite the answer to your question, but if you look
for example at

  https://git.zx2c4.com/cgit

you'll see that the same URL can be used both for viewing with a
browser *and* cloning.

Basically with cgit all requests go through the CGI script, and an
advantage of that is that you don't even need to call

  git update-server-info

to make the repository accessible via HTTPs. It's also pretty fast
and extremely easy to setup. Maybe consider switching from gitweb
to it?

* Re: [Qemu-devel] git.qemu.org gitweb misrenders on git/ URLs
@ 2019-09-02  9:25   ` Stefan Hajnoczi
From: Stefan Hajnoczi @ 2019-09-02  9:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrea Bolognani
  Cc: Philippe Mathieu-Daudé, Jeff Cody, Stefan Hajnoczi, qemu-devel

On Thu, Aug 29, 2019 at 06:13:34PM +0200, Andrea Bolognani wrote:
> On Thu, 2019-08-29 at 16:48 +0100, Stefan Hajnoczi wrote:
> > Hi Jeff,
> > Philippe noticed that the git HTTPS clone URL
> > https://git.qemu.org/git/libslirp.git renders a gitweb page that looks
> > right but has broken links.  The correct gitweb URL listed on
> > https://git.qemu.org/ is https://git.qemu.org/?p=libslirp.git;a=summary,
> > but there's a chance that people will open the HTTPS clone URL in their
> > browser and expect to see gitweb working.
> >
> > Is it possible to tweak the Apache configuration so that
> > https://git.qemu.org/git/libslirp.git[/] redirects to the working gitweb
> > URL?
> >
> > The tricky part is not breaking HTTPS git clone, which accesses URLs
> > below https://git.qemu.org/git/libslirp.git/ :).
>
> I know that's not quite the answer to your question, but if you look
> for example at
>
>   https://git.zx2c4.com/cgit
>
> you'll see that the same URL can be used both for viewing with a
> browser *and* cloning.
>
> Basically with cgit all requests go through the CGI script, and an
> advantage of that is that you don't even need to call
>
>   git update-server-info
>
> to make the repository accessible via HTTPs. It's also pretty fast
> and extremely easy to setup. Maybe consider switching from gitweb
> to it?

Thanks, switching to cgit is an option.  Let's see what Jeff thinks.

@ 2019-09-02 10:35     ` Jeff Cody
From: Jeff Cody @ 2019-09-02 10:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Hajnoczi
  Cc: Philippe Mathieu-Daudé,
	Andrea Bolognani, Stefan Hajnoczi, qemu-devel

On Mon, Sep 2, 2019 at 5:25 AM Stefan Hajnoczi <stefanha@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 29, 2019 at 06:13:34PM +0200, Andrea Bolognani wrote:
> > On Thu, 2019-08-29 at 16:48 +0100, Stefan Hajnoczi wrote:
> > > Hi Jeff,
> > > Philippe noticed that the git HTTPS clone URL
> > > https://git.qemu.org/git/libslirp.git renders a gitweb page that looks
> > > right but has broken links.  The correct gitweb URL listed on
> > > https://git.qemu.org/ is https://git.qemu.org/?p=libslirp.git;a=summary,
> > > but there's a chance that people will open the HTTPS clone URL in their
> > > browser and expect to see gitweb working.
> > >
> > > Is it possible to tweak the Apache configuration so that
> > > https://git.qemu.org/git/libslirp.git[/] redirects to the working gitweb
> > > URL?
> > >
> > > The tricky part is not breaking HTTPS git clone, which accesses URLs
> > > below https://git.qemu.org/git/libslirp.git/ :).
> >
> > I know that's not quite the answer to your question, but if you look
> > for example at
> >
> >   https://git.zx2c4.com/cgit
> >
> > you'll see that the same URL can be used both for viewing with a
> > browser *and* cloning.
> >
> > Basically with cgit all requests go through the CGI script, and an
> > advantage of that is that you don't even need to call
> >
> >   git update-server-info
> >
> > to make the repository accessible via HTTPs. It's also pretty fast
> > and extremely easy to setup. Maybe consider switching from gitweb
> > to it?
>
> Thanks, switching to cgit is an option.  Let's see what Jeff thinks.

Hi Stefan & Andrea,

I'm not familiar with cgit, but I am happy to investigate it as an
option if it looks to be a better fit.  I can't get to it until this weekend
however (Sept 7), as I'm traveling right now.   Is that soon enough?

Thanks,
Jeff

* Re: [Qemu-devel] git.qemu.org gitweb misrenders on git/ URLs
@ 2019-09-05  8:20       ` Stefan Hajnoczi
From: Stefan Hajnoczi @ 2019-09-05  8:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jeff Cody
  Cc: Stefan Hajnoczi, Philippe Mathieu-Daudé,