From: shuah <shuah@kernel.org>
To: Michael Ellerman <mpe@ellerman.id.au>,
	Cristian Marussi <cristian.marussi@arm.com>,
	Tim.Bird@sony.com,
	"linux-kselftest@vger.kernel.org"
	<linux-kselftest@vger.kernel.org>, shuah <shuah@kernel.org>
Subject: Re: kselftest: failed to build with -C tool/testing/selftests when KBUILD_OUTPUT is set
Date: Thu, 28 Nov 2019 16:33:01 -0700	[thread overview]

On 11/27/19 9:20 PM, Michael Ellerman wrote:
> shuah <shuah@kernel.org> writes:

>> If all of the above works with kselftest-install target, I would rather
>> ask for CI's to change, so we can get rid of make -C usage for install.
>>
>> In which case, I would rather not revert this and request CIs to start
>> using kselftest-install target.

Okay reverted now and pushed it to linux-kselftest fixes. Will send it
to Linus in a couple of days.

>> I would like to see CI's use kselftest-* targets from the main makefile
>> for build/run/install.
>
> The problem is old kernels (stable branches & distro kernels) don't
> support that (or it doesn't work correctly).
> > So then the CIs have to invoke the selftest build differently depending
> on which kernel version they're building, which gets ugly for them.

Let's move there slowly as stables get retired. I would like to see
using kselftest main Makefile files as the supported mode going forward.
This is necessary for us to make it easier to support and maintain the
use-cases.

thanks,
-- Shuah