* [update report]proc.5:  account pmd page tables to the process
@ 2015-04-28  8:47 Weijie Yang
From: Weijie Yang @ 2015-04-28  8:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mtk.manpages-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w
  Cc: linux-man-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA, 'Weijie Yang'

Since kernel v4.0, pmd page account is added into /proc/[pid]/status

See detail:
commit dc6c9a35b66b520cf67e05d8ca60ebecad3b0479
Author: Kirill A. Shutemov <kirill.shutemov-VuQAYsv1563Yd54FQh9/CA@public.gmane.org>
Date:   Wed Feb 11 15:26:50 2015 -0800

    mm: account pmd page tables to the process

I don't find a description for it when I read the latest man-page, so I send this email.
Maybe there is already a plan for it and I miss it, anyway, I send this report.

Regards

* Re: [update report]proc.5: account pmd page tables to the process
       [not found]         ` <20150430111448.44B11A5-mPwCgTtGw1Jrdx17CPfAsdBPR1lH4CV8@public.gmane.org>
@ 2015-05-05 16:39           ` Michael Kerrisk (man-pages)
From: Michael Kerrisk (man-pages) @ 2015-05-05 16:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kirill A. Shutemov; +Cc: Weijie Yang, linux-man, Weijie Yang

On 30 April 2015 at 13:14, Kirill A. Shutemov
<kirill.shutemov-VuQAYsv1563Yd54FQh9/CA@public.gmane.org> wrote:
> Michael Kerrisk (man-pages) wrote:
>> [CC += Kirill]
>>
>> Hello Weijie Yang, and Kirill,
>>
>> Kirill, your commit changed the user-space ABI but there was nothing
>> in the commit message about that, nor did it CC linux-api@. It makes
>> my life easier when those things happen ;-).
>>
>> On 28 April 2015 at 10:47, Weijie Yang <weijie.yang-Sze3O3UU22JBDgjK7y7TUQ@public.gmane.org> wrote:
>> > Since kernel v4.0, pmd page account is added into /proc/[pid]/status
>> >
>> > See detail:
>> > commit dc6c9a35b66b520cf67e05d8ca60ebecad3b0479
>> > Author: Kirill A. Shutemov <kirill.shutemov-VuQAYsv1563Yd54FQh9/CA@public.gmane.org>
>> > Date:   Wed Feb 11 15:26:50 2015 -0800
>> >
>> >     mm: account pmd page tables to the process
>> >

>> > I don't find a description for it when I read the latest man-page, so I send this email.
>> > Maybe there is already a plan for it and I miss it, anyway, I send this report.
>>
>> I added the following to the proc(5) entry for /proc/PID/status:
>>
>>       VmPMD :  Page middle directory size (since Linux 4.0).
>
> I'm not native speaker, but I think "directory" should be plural --
> there are more than one directory.
>
> And I would rather say "Size of second level page tables".

Thanks, Kirill. I change the text to what you wrote.

> PMD is not really in middle since 4-level page tables was introduced and
> definitely will not be in middle when we get 5-level page tables.

Oh -- I didn't realize we were getting another level of PTs!

Cheers,

Michael

--
Michael Kerrisk

* Re: [update report]proc.5: account pmd page tables to the process
       [not found]     ` <CAKgNAkgRMB3K0di=8BMzRDw4Qn1ZLCFO_AMTYQ=Q6topC5oogw-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
@ 2015-04-30 11:14       ` Kirill A. Shutemov
       [not found]         ` <20150430111448.44B11A5-mPwCgTtGw1Jrdx17CPfAsdBPR1lH4CV8@public.gmane.org>
From: Kirill A. Shutemov @ 2015-04-30 11:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Kerrisk (man-pages)
  Cc: Weijie Yang, linux-man, Weijie Yang, Kirill A. Shutemov

       [not found] ` <000001d08190$019414e0$04bc3ea0$@yang-Sze3O3UU22JBDgjK7y7TUQ@public.gmane.org>
@ 2015-04-30  9:20   ` Michael Kerrisk (man-pages)
       [not found]     ` <CAKgNAkgRMB3K0di=8BMzRDw4Qn1ZLCFO_AMTYQ=Q6topC5oogw-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: Michael Kerrisk (man-pages) @ 2015-04-30  9:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Weijie Yang; +Cc: linux-man, Weijie Yang, Kirill A. Shutemov

[CC += Kirill]

Hello Weijie Yang, and Kirill,

Kirill, your commit changed the user-space ABI but there was nothing
in the commit message about that, nor did it CC linux-api@. It makes
my life easier when those things happen ;-).

On 28 April 2015 at 10:47, Weijie Yang <weijie.yang-Sze3O3UU22JBDgjK7y7TUQ@public.gmane.org> wrote:
> Since kernel v4.0, pmd page account is added into /proc/[pid]/status
>
> See detail:
> commit dc6c9a35b66b520cf67e05d8ca60ebecad3b0479
> Author: Kirill A. Shutemov <kirill.shutemov-VuQAYsv1563Yd54FQh9/CA@public.gmane.org>
> Date:   Wed Feb 11 15:26:50 2015 -0800
>
>     mm: account pmd page tables to the process
>

> I don't find a description for it when I read the latest man-page, so I send this email.
> Maybe there is already a plan for it and I miss it, anyway, I send this report.

I added the following to the proc(5) entry for /proc/PID/status:

      VmPMD :  Page middle directory size (since Linux 4.0).

Thanks for the report, Weijie Yang.

Cheers,

Michael

--