* ioremap and page table
@ 2021-07-11 15:33 ckim
From: ckim @ 2021-07-11 15:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

Hello all,

I'm almost sure but want to check if my understanding is correct.

To use a memory mapped IO, we use functions like request_mem_region and
ioremap, iounmap functions.

I guess when we call ioremap function, the kernel sets up page table for the
region so that the region becomes non-cacheable, and I don't also have  to
worry about reordering problem.

Is my understanding correct?

Thanks!

Chan Kim

* Re: ioremap and page table
@ 2021-07-11 16:48 ` Deepanshu Kartikey
From: Deepanshu Kartikey @ 2021-07-11 16:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ckim; +Cc: kernelnewbies

What my understanding is that ioremap converts your address to a virtual
address. So, yes everything then is handled by the kernel

On Sun, Jul 11, 2021 at 9:04 PM <ckim@etri.re.kr> wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I’m almost sure but want to check if my understanding is correct.
>
> To use a memory mapped IO, we use functions like request_mem_region and
> ioremap, iounmap functions.
>
> I guess when we call ioremap function, the kernel sets up page table for
> the region so that the region becomes non-cacheable, and I don’t also have
>  to worry about reordering problem.
>
> Is my understanding correct?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Chan Kim

* RE: ioremap and page table
@ 2021-07-12  2:23   ` ckim
From: ckim @ 2021-07-12  2:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Deepanshu Kartikey'; +Cc: kernelnewbies

Ah, yes of course the virtual address. Thanks for pointing it out!

Chan Kim