* Wolfgang Denk
@ 2022-10-21 15:11 ` Stefano Babic
                     ` (8 more replies)
From: Stefano Babic @ 2022-10-21 15:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: U-Boot

Dear U-Boot community,

it is my very sad duty to inform you that Wolfgang Denk, the father of
U-Boot, passed away last week. We have lost a great developer and a very
good friend.

I met Wolfgang the first time quite 25 years ago, when we worked for the
same company. I was hired as consultant for a (at the time very
frequently used) RTOS. I had no time to introduce me, because Wolfgang
interrupted me with : "Just install Linux !". Well, of course I did. It
was the first good suggestion he gave me. Many others followed.

Wolfgang was a pioneer and strong supporter of Open Source, in the time
when Linux for Embedded System started its first steps. In many
occasions he had strong discussions with customers to explain the
advantages of Open Source, and he rejected business contracts if
customer was going against his principles. We will miss him.

Rest in peace, my friend

Stefano Babic

HRB 165235 Munich, Office: Kirchenstr.5, 82194 Groebenzell, Germany
Phone: +49-8142-66989-53 Fax: +49-8142-66989-80 Email: sbabic@denx.de

* Re: Wolfgang Denk
@ 2022-10-21 15:36   ` Oleh Kravchenko
                     ` (7 subsequent siblings)
From: Oleh Kravchenko @ 2022-10-21 15:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefano Babic; +Cc: u-boot

Sad to hear it.

Rest in peace Wolfgang Denk.

--
Best regards,
Oleh Kravchenko

> 21 жовт. 2022 р. о 18:11 Stefano Babic <sbabic@denx.de> пише:
>
> Dear U-Boot community,
>
> it is my very sad duty to inform you that Wolfgang Denk, the father of U-Boot, passed away last week. We have lost a great developer and a very good friend.
>
> I met Wolfgang the first time quite 25 years ago, when we worked for the same company. I was hired as consultant for a (at the time very frequently used) RTOS. I had no time to introduce me, because Wolfgang interrupted me with : "Just install Linux !". Well, of course I did. It was the first good suggestion he gave me. Many others followed.
>
> Wolfgang was a pioneer and strong supporter of Open Source, in the time when Linux for Embedded System started its first steps. In many occasions he had strong discussions with customers to explain the advantages of Open Source, and he rejected business contracts if customer was going against his principles. We will miss him.
>
> Rest in peace, my friend
>
> Stefano Babic

> DENX Software Engineering GmbH,      Managing Director: Wolfgang Denk
> HRB 165235 Munich, Office: Kirchenstr.5, 82194 Groebenzell, Germany
> Phone: +49-8142-66989-53 Fax: +49-8142-66989-80 Email: sbabic@denx.de

* Re: Wolfgang Denk
@ 2022-10-21 15:37   ` Michael Nazzareno Trimarchi
                     ` (6 subsequent siblings)
From: Michael Nazzareno Trimarchi @ 2022-10-21 15:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefano Babic; +Cc: U-Boot

Hi all

On Fri, Oct 21, 2022 at 5:11 PM Stefano Babic <sbabic@denx.de> wrote:

> Dear U-Boot community,
>
> it is my very sad duty to inform you that Wolfgang Denk, the father of
> U-Boot, passed away last week. We have lost a great developer and a very
> good friend.
>
> I met Wolfgang the first time quite 25 years ago, when we worked for the
> same company. I was hired as consultant for a (at the time very
> frequently used) RTOS. I had no time to introduce me, because Wolfgang
> interrupted me with : "Just install Linux !". Well, of course I did. It
> was the first good suggestion he gave me. Many others followed.
>
> Wolfgang was a pioneer and strong supporter of Open Source, in the time
> when Linux for Embedded System started its first steps. In many
> occasions he had strong discussions with customers to explain the
> advantages of Open Source, and he rejected business contracts if
> customer was going against his principles. We will miss him.

I'm really sorry. He was a great guy and will remain for me a great guy.
I don't have words to describe the feeling I have at the moment.

Michael

> Rest in peace, my friend
>
> Stefano Babic

> DENX Software Engineering GmbH,      Managing Director: Wolfgang Denk
> HRB 165235 Munich, Office: Kirchenstr.5, 82194 Groebenzell, Germany
> Phone: +49-8142-66989-53 Fax: +49-8142-66989-80 Email: sbabic@denx.de

Michael Nazzareno Trimarchi
Co-Founder & Chief Executive Officer
M. +39 347 913 2170
michael@amarulasolutions.com
__________________________________

Amarula Solutions BV
Joop Geesinkweg 125, 1114 AB, Amsterdam, NL
T. +31 (0)85 111 9172
info@amarulasolutions.com
www.amarulasolutions.com

* Re: Wolfgang Denk
@ 2022-10-21 15:47   ` Jagan Teki
                     ` (5 subsequent siblings)
From: Jagan Teki @ 2022-10-21 15:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefano Babic; +Cc: U-Boot

On Fri, Oct 21, 2022 at 8:41 PM Stefano Babic <sbabic@denx.de> wrote:

> Dear U-Boot community,
>
> it is my very sad duty to inform you that Wolfgang Denk, the father of
> U-Boot, passed away last week. We have lost a great developer and a very
> good friend.
>
> I met Wolfgang the first time quite 25 years ago, when we worked for the
> same company. I was hired as consultant for a (at the time very
> frequently used) RTOS. I had no time to introduce me, because Wolfgang
> interrupted me with : "Just install Linux !". Well, of course I did. It
> was the first good suggestion he gave me. Many others followed.
>
> Wolfgang was a pioneer and strong supporter of Open Source, in the time
> when Linux for Embedded System started its first steps. In many
> occasions he had strong discussions with customers to explain the
> advantages of Open Source, and he rejected business contracts if
> customer was going against his principles. We will miss him.
>
> Rest in peace, my friend

So sad, shocking news to me. I met Wolfgang on a few occasions in
ELC's, one of the clear and straightforward minds in the open source
community.

He will be remembered as long as U-Boot lives.

Jagan.

* Re: Wolfgang Denk
                     ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2022-10-21 16:03   ` Giulio Benetti
                     ` (4 subsequent siblings)
From: Giulio Benetti @ 2022-10-21 16:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefano Babic, U-Boot

On 21/10/22 17:11, Stefano Babic wrote:
> Dear U-Boot community,
>
> it is my very sad duty to inform you that Wolfgang Denk, the father of
> U-Boot, passed away last week. We have lost a great developer and a very
> good friend.
>
> I met Wolfgang the first time quite 25 years ago, when we worked for the
> same company. I was hired as consultant for a (at the time very
> frequently used) RTOS. I had no time to introduce me, because Wolfgang
> interrupted me with : "Just install Linux !". Well, of course I did. It
> was the first good suggestion he gave me. Many others followed.
>
> Wolfgang was a pioneer and strong supporter of Open Source, in the time
> when Linux for Embedded System started its first steps. In many
> occasions he had strong discussions with customers to explain the
> advantages of Open Source, and he rejected business contracts if
> customer was going against his principles. We will miss him.
>
> Rest in peace, my friend
>
> Stefano Babic

I'm very sorry,

rest in peace Wolfgang Denk and thank you for what you have created.

--
Giulio Benetti
Benetti Engineering sas

* Re: Wolfgang Denk
                     ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2022-10-21 17:00   ` Jan Kiszka
                     ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Jan Kiszka @ 2022-10-21 17:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Xenomai

Dear community,

these very sad news arrived just now.

On 21.10.22 17:11, Stefano Babic wrote:
> Dear U-Boot community,
>
> it is my very sad duty to inform you that Wolfgang Denk, the father of
> U-Boot, passed away last week. We have lost a great developer and a very
> good friend.
>
> I met Wolfgang the first time quite 25 years ago, when we worked for the
> same company. I was hired as consultant for a (at the time very
> frequently used) RTOS. I had no time to introduce me, because Wolfgang
> interrupted me with : "Just install Linux !". Well, of course I did. It
> was the first good suggestion he gave me. Many others followed.
>
> Wolfgang was a pioneer and strong supporter of Open Source, in the time
> when Linux for Embedded System started its first steps. In many
> occasions he had strong discussions with customers to explain the
> advantages of Open Source, and he rejected business contracts if
> customer was going against his principles. We will miss him.
>
> Rest in peace, my friend
>
> Stefano Babic

Also in the name of the Xenomai project, we have to thank Wolfgang a lot
for his steady support in various ways, not "just" in form of our code
infrastructure. His strong community orientation secured many
professional contributions to the Xenomai project over all those years.

I met him the first time in person about 16 years ago, when he invited
me to Gröbenzell for having a chat on the potentials of Xenomai and
RTnet in industry. I admired him for having a business around something
that was still a hobby for me. And later, I enjoyed finding his
upstream-first contract conditions in offers to my employer - while I
still had to explain this concept internally. He was really ahead.

Thank you for all the Open Source, dear Wolfgang!

Jan

* Re: Wolfgang Denk
                     ` (4 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2022-10-24  0:55   ` Bin Meng
                     ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Bin Meng @ 2022-10-24  0:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefano Babic; +Cc: U-Boot

On Fri, Oct 21, 2022 at 11:11 PM Stefano Babic <sbabic@denx.de> wrote:

> Dear U-Boot community,
>
> it is my very sad duty to inform you that Wolfgang Denk, the father of
> U-Boot, passed away last week. We have lost a great developer and a very
> good friend.
>
> I met Wolfgang the first time quite 25 years ago, when we worked for the
> same company. I was hired as consultant for a (at the time very
> frequently used) RTOS. I had no time to introduce me, because Wolfgang
> interrupted me with : "Just install Linux !". Well, of course I did. It
> was the first good suggestion he gave me. Many others followed.
>
> Wolfgang was a pioneer and strong supporter of Open Source, in the time
> when Linux for Embedded System started its first steps. In many
> occasions he had strong discussions with customers to explain the
> advantages of Open Source, and he rejected business contracts if
> customer was going against his principles. We will miss him.

Really sorry to hear this news. I had some private conversations with
Wolfgang in the past, and he was a brilliant mentor to anyone who
wanted to write beautiful software for embedded systems.

We will miss you, Wolfgang. R.I.P.

Regards,
Bin

* Re: Wolfgang Denk
                     ` (5 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2022-10-24  1:11   ` Simon Glass
From: Simon Glass @ 2022-10-24  1:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefano Babic; +Cc: U-Boot

Hi Stefano,

On Fri, 21 Oct 2022 at 09:11, Stefano Babic <sbabic@denx.de> wrote:

> Dear U-Boot community,
>
> it is my very sad duty to inform you that Wolfgang Denk, the father of
> U-Boot, passed away last week. We have lost a great developer and a very
> good friend.
>
> I met Wolfgang the first time quite 25 years ago, when we worked for the
> same company. I was hired as consultant for a (at the time very
> frequently used) RTOS. I had no time to introduce me, because Wolfgang
> interrupted me with : "Just install Linux !". Well, of course I did. It
> was the first good suggestion he gave me. Many others followed.
>
> Wolfgang was a pioneer and strong supporter of Open Source, in the time
> when Linux for Embedded System started its first steps. In many
> occasions he had strong discussions with customers to explain the
> advantages of Open Source, and he rejected business contracts if
> customer was going against his principles. We will miss him.
>
> Rest in peace, my friend
>
> Stefano Babic

I am very sorry to hear this shocking news. He was indeed a pioneer
and the principles he instilled in U-Boot have stood the test of time.
Wolfgang guided many of my contributions, particularly when I was
starting out, through code reviews which explained those principles
and how they applied to the code or feature. There are of course too
many to count, but the use of FIT to implement verified boot was one
which had a big impact, as well as many admonitions re code size and
simplicity!

I met Wolfgang various times, mostly over beer at conferences. I will
miss him and I'm sure Denx and U-Boot will not be the same without
him.

May he rest in peace.

- Simon

* Re: Wolfgang Denk
                     ` (6 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2022-10-26 15:40   ` Tom Rini
From: Tom Rini @ 2022-10-26 15:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefano Babic; +Cc: U-Boot

On Fri, Oct 21, 2022 at 05:11:33PM +0200, Stefano Babic wrote:

> Dear U-Boot community,
>
> it is my very sad duty to inform you that Wolfgang Denk, the father of
> U-Boot, passed away last week. We have lost a great developer and a very
> good friend.
>
> I met Wolfgang the first time quite 25 years ago, when we worked for the
> same company. I was hired as consultant for a (at the time very frequently
> used) RTOS. I had no time to introduce me, because Wolfgang interrupted me
> with : "Just install Linux !". Well, of course I did. It was the first good
> suggestion he gave me. Many others followed.
>
> Wolfgang was a pioneer and strong supporter of Open Source, in the time when
> Linux for Embedded System started its first steps. In many occasions he had
> strong discussions with customers to explain the advantages of Open Source,
> and he rejected business contracts if customer was going against his
> principles. We will miss him.
>
> Rest in peace, my friend

I'm late in replying here, as I too am at a loss for what to say.  His
impact to the industry was significant, and he will be missed.

--
Tom

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* RE: Wolfgang Denk
                     ` (7 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2022-10-26 23:31   ` Jaehoon Chung
From: Jaehoon Chung @ 2022-10-26 23:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
> it is my very sad duty to inform you that Wolfgang Denk, the father of U-Boot, passed away last
> week. We have lost a great developer and a very good friend.
>
> I met Wolfgang the first time quite 25 years ago, when we worked for the same company. I was hired
> as consultant for a (at the time very frequently used) RTOS. I had no time to introduce me,
> because Wolfgang interrupted me with : "Just install Linux !". Well, of course I did. It was the
> first good suggestion he gave me. Many others followed.
>
> Wolfgang was a pioneer and strong supporter of Open Source, in the time when Linux for Embedded
> System started its first steps. In many occasions he had strong discussions with customers to
> explain the advantages of Open Source, and he rejected business contracts if customer was going
> against his principles. We will miss him.
>
> Rest in peace, my friend

So sad news. Rest in Peace, Wolfgang Denk.

Jaehoon Chung

@ 2022-11-02 12:22     ` Minkyu Kang
From: Minkyu Kang @ 2022-11-02 12:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jaehoon Chung; +Cc: Stefano Babic, u-boot

2022년 10월 27일 (목) 08:32, Jaehoon Chung <jh80.chung@samsung.com>님이 작성:

He will be sadly missed.
Rest in peace, Wolfgang Denk.

Minkyu Kang.
--
Thanks. Minkyu Kang.

* Re: Wolfgang Denk
@ 2006-11-21  0:42 ` Steve Iribarne (GMail)
From: Steve Iribarne (GMail) @ 2006-11-21  0:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Adrian; +Cc: linuxppc-embedded

I second this.  He has saved me countless hours!!!

On 11/20/06, Adrian <adrian@it-live.co.uk> wrote:
> This a general notice to all users.
>
> *** WARNING ***
>
> Wolfgang Denk has done a lot of hard work to make porting Linux to as many
> hardware platforms as you can imagine.
>
> If some of his stuff does not work in precisely the way that you ordered,
> and paid *nothing* for, please dont slag Wolfgang off, or even imply that
> he's done something really badly.
>
> He might stop offering us these tools, for FREE.
>
> Then what would we do ?
>
> START FROM SCRATCH (again).
>
> So :-
>
> 1) if you can't read, do not post a question.
> 2) if you can't be bothered reading, go away completely.
> 3) if you have a problem (after reading) then ask.
> 4) if it still does not work, try reading again. You might have missed
> something.
> 5) This stuff is hard.There aren't many that can cross-port linux to a new
> platform, and fewer still that understand what to do if the ELDK was not
> there.
>
> Please stop implying that Wolfgang has done something dreadfully wrong. It's
> more likely to be you. Read more.
>
> For me, it took about a month to get what I wanted, based on the EDLK
> downloaded from Wolfgang's site, but now i have what i want.
>
> Without the ELDK i would still be no-where near.
>
> Thanks to Wolfgang.
>
> Adrian Atkins.
> IT Live Ltd.

/*