* Cross Compilation
@ 2003-07-23  6:20 SaravanaKumar
From: SaravanaKumar @ 2003-07-23  6:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-mips

Dear All,
    I am having my application in x86.
 I have to cross compile that to MIPS architecture.
How to do that.

Is there is any document for doing the cross compilation to MIPS.

Cheers,
N.S.Kumar

* Re: Cross Compilation
@ 2003-07-23  6:40 ` debashis
From: debashis @ 2003-07-23  6:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: saravana_kumar; +Cc: linux-mips

Hi,
see the url - http://www.linux-mips.org/toolchain.html
You need to install the appropiate toolchains.

Regards,
debashis

SaravanaKumar wrote:

> Dear All,
>     I am having my application in x86.
>  I have to cross compile that to MIPS architecture.
> How to do that.
>
> Is there is any document for doing the cross compilation to MIPS.
>
> Cheers,
> N.S.Kumar

* Re: Cross Compilation
@ 2003-07-23  7:45 ` Tiemo Krueger - mycable GmbH
From: Tiemo Krueger - mycable GmbH @ 2003-07-23  7:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: saravana_kumar; +Cc: linux-mips

You could even use the buildroot thing from uclibc.org:

http://uclibc.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb/buildroot/buildroot.tar.gz?tarball=1

It's one of the most simple way for cross toolchain beginners, it
provides you finally with a toolchain and rootfile system and more

Tiemo

SaravanaKumar wrote:

>Dear All,
>    I am having my application in x86.
> I have to cross compile that to MIPS architecture.
>How to do that.
>
>Is there is any document for doing the cross compilation to MIPS.
>
>Cheers,
>N.S.Kumar

* Re: Cross Compilation
@ 2003-07-23 17:09   ` Jun Sun
                       ` (2 more replies)
From: Jun Sun @ 2003-07-23 17:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tiemo Krueger - mycable GmbH; +Cc: saravana_kumar, linux-mips, jsun

On Wed, Jul 23, 2003 at 09:45:43AM +0200, Tiemo Krueger - mycable GmbH wrote:
> You could even use the buildroot thing from uclibc.org:
>
> http://uclibc.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb/buildroot/buildroot.tar.gz?tarball=1
>
> It's one of the most simple way for cross toolchain beginners, it
> provides you finally with a toolchain and rootfile system and more

I took a look.  It looks similar to one project that I worked on
before.   Very interesting.

Has anybody tried successfully to do a cross MIPS yet?  From a Linux/i386 host
obviously ...

Jun

* Re: Cross Compilation
@ 2003-07-23 17:40     ` Bruno Randolf
From: Bruno Randolf @ 2003-07-23 17:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jun Sun; +Cc: saravana_kumar, linux-mips

* Re: Cross Compilation
@ 2003-07-23 18:27     ` Jeff Baitis
From: Jeff Baitis @ 2003-07-23 18:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jun Sun; +Cc: Tiemo Krueger - mycable GmbH, saravana_kumar, linux-mips

I find that the uClibC tools are excellent, and have no problems generating
MIPS binaries from an i386 host ;)

-Jeff

--
         Jeffrey Baitis - Associate Software Engineer

                    Evolution Robotics, Inc.
                     130 West Union Street
                       Pasadena CA 91103

 tel: 626.535.2776  |  fax: 626.535.2777  |  baitisj@evolution.com

* RE: Cross Compilation
@ 2003-07-24  0:55       ` Lyle Bainbridge
From: Lyle Bainbridge @ 2003-07-24  0:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Tiemo Krueger - mycable GmbH'; +Cc: saravana_kumar, linux-mips

> I took a look.  It looks similar to one project that I worked on
> before.   Very interesting.
>
> Has anybody tried successfully to do a cross MIPS yet?  From
> a Linux/i386 host obviously ...

I have used the uclibc toolchain for big endian mips. It works great.  I
also have a gcc-3.2.3/glibc-2.2.5 based toolchain, and have used it to
cross compile a kernel and a simple root filesystem.

Lyle

From: Lyle Bainbridge @ 2003-07-24  0:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Tiemo Krueger - mycable GmbH'; +Cc: saravana_kumar, linux-mips

> I took a look.  It looks similar to one project that I worked on
> before.   Very interesting.
>
> Has anybody tried successfully to do a cross MIPS yet?  From
> a Linux/i386 host obviously ...

I have used the uclibc toolchain for big endian mips. It works great.  I
also have a gcc-3.2.3/glibc-2.2.5 based toolchain, and have used it to
cross compile a kernel and a simple root filesystem.

Lyle

* cross compilation
@ 2016-06-06 23:23   ` Shyam Saini
From: Shyam Saini @ 2016-06-06 23:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

> Note that due to things like cache line misses, looking at the code will
> tell you almost nothing about which is *really* the "best" code...

I thought of counting number of instructions in disassembled code for each
case. Since I'm only replacing certain API's , rest of the code remains
same.

For example
Replacing ACCESS_ONCE() API with READ_ONCE()

Please correct me , if I'm wrong.

> Why do you need to cross-compile?  Just build the drivers as x86_64.
Pretty
> much anybody who actually *cares* about performance has moved off 32-bit
> kernels a while ago (unless you're stuck with an embedded 32-bit CPU).

Earlier, whenever I run this command

              $ make drivers/staging/rdma/
I was getting this error

CONFIG_X86_X32 enabled but no binutils support
So, I thought to cross compile for x82. But now it seems i have solved by
following this
<http://stackoverflow.com/questions/12501124/errors-in-compiling-linux-kernel-module-config-x86-x32-enabled-but-no-binutils>

On Tue, Jun 7, 2016 at 3:16 AM, <Valdis.Kletnieks@vt.edu> wrote:

> On Tue, 07 Jun 2016 02:27:03 +0530, Shyam Saini said:
>
> > To choose best optimized code, i need to first compile them and then
> > disassemble  the compiled code, where a change in single line would make
> > significant difference in the performance.
>
> Note that due to things like cache line misses, looking at the code will
> tell you almost nothing about which is *really* the "best" code...
>
> > So, my question is how to compile* x86 based network drivers  on x86_64
> > Ubuntu machine*. Currently I'm running Ubuntu 14.04.
>
> Why do you need to cross-compile?  Just build the drivers as x86_64.
> Pretty
> much anybody who actually *cares* about performance has moved off 32-bit
> kernels a while ago (unless you're stuck with an embedded 32-bit CPU).

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

* cross compilation
@ 2016-06-06 21:46 ` Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
From: Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu @ 2016-06-06 21:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

On Tue, 07 Jun 2016 02:27:03 +0530, Shyam Saini said:

> To choose best optimized code, i need to first compile them and then
> disassemble  the compiled code, where a change in single line would make a
> significant difference in the performance.

Note that due to things like cache line misses, looking at the code will
tell you almost nothing about which is *really* the "best" code...

> So, my question is how to compile* x86 based network drivers  on x86_64
> Ubuntu machine*. Currently I'm running Ubuntu 14.04.

Why do you need to cross-compile?  Just build the drivers as x86_64.  Pretty
much anybody who actually *cares* about performance has moved off 32-bit
kernels a while ago (unless you're stuck with an embedded 32-bit CPU).
I'm trying to figure out optimized code for some network drivers. I'm
replacing certain APIs in the code and compare code for each API.

To choose best optimized code, i need to first compile them and then
disassemble  the compiled code, where a change in single line would make a
significant difference in
the performance.

So, my question is how to compile* x86 based network drivers  on x86_64
Ubuntu machine*. Currently I'm running Ubuntu 14.04.

Please help me out

Thanks

@ 2003-07-23 21:16 ` Jim Thompson
From: Jim Thompson @ 2003-07-23 21:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: baitisj, Jun Sun; +Cc: Tiemo Krueger - mycable GmbH, saravana_kumar, linux-mips

One more time, the current top-of-tree on 'buildroot' is broken.

Specifically, the 'chew' binary gets built for the target, but should be
built for the host.  The build fails when 'chew' gets run (because it
can't).

Erik is looking for a patch.

Jim

From: Jim Thompson @ 2003-07-23 21:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: baitisj, Jun Sun; +Cc: Tiemo Krueger - mycable GmbH, saravana_kumar, linux-mips

@ 2003-07-23 10:07 ` Jim Thompson
From: Jim Thompson @ 2003-07-23 10:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tiemo Krueger - mycable GmbH, saravana_kumar; +Cc: linux-mips

Unfortunately, its broken right now.

* RE: Cross Compilation
@ 2003-07-23 10:07 ` Jim Thompson
From: Jim Thompson @ 2003-07-23 10:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tiemo Krueger - mycable GmbH, saravana_kumar; +Cc: linux-mips

Unfortunately, its broken right now.

* RE: Cross Compilation
@ 2003-07-23 10:01 eric_sy_huang
From: eric_sy_huang @ 2003-07-23 10:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-mips

  If I want to build big-endian mips, how can I do?
  In the www.linux-vr.org, there is only little-endian tools.

  regards.

This document is classified as     Normal

try http://www.linux-vr.org/tools.html

-Jinu

@ 2003-07-23  6:22 JinuM
From: JinuM @ 2003-07-23  6:22 UTC (permalink / raw)