* Accessing kernel panic information without BMC console?
@ 2019-09-27 22:01 Kun Yi
From: Kun Yi @ 2019-09-27 22:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joel Stanley, Andrew Jeffery, OpenBMC Maillist

Hello there,

Wonder whether anyone has had experience persisting kernel panic
information or sending them through network? For a lot of our devices
the console is either unconnected or served by obmc-console-client
only, which wouldn't be able to capture kernel oops.

We are starting to look into these tools:

https://www.kernel.org/doc/html/v5.3/admin-guide/ramoops.html
Ramoops says it requires persistent RAM.. Which may make it infeasible
since we don't persist memory (or, we try not to).

https://linux.die.net/man/8/netdump
netdump seems promising.

https://www.kernel.org/doc/html/v5.3/admin-guide/kdump/kdump.html
It seems we need more pieces to get kdump working. Have anyone tried
kexec/kdump on their platforms?

Regards,
Kun

* Re: Accessing kernel panic information without BMC console?
@ 2019-09-27 22:28 ` Vijay Khemka
From: Vijay Khemka @ 2019-09-27 22:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kun Yi, Joel Stanley, Andrew Jeffery, OpenBMC Maillist

    https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__linux.die.net_man_8_netdump&d=DwIBaQ&c=5VD0RTtNlTh3ycd41b3MUw&r=v9MU0Ki9pWnTXCWwjHPVgpnCR80vXkkcrIaqU7USl5g&m=0H6Yf0igviHCOSHAbOPQxxM-_B0Lh1EyZm4dpdMqe2g&s=H3n57FRZwV0z_wOHqmaiRa-kQ6h3doWg712SV4ez-GU&e=
    netdump seems promising.

    https://www.kernel.org/doc/html/v5.3/admin-guide/kdump/kdump.html
    It seems we need more pieces to get kdump working. Have anyone tried
    kexec/kdump on their platforms?

I have used kdump in past was very happy with it. Yes, it needs lot more
pieces to make it work.

@ 2019-09-29  7:47   ` Yong Li
From: Yong Li @ 2019-09-29  7:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Vijay Khemka', 'Kun Yi', 'Joel Stanley',
	'Andrew Jeffery', 'OpenBMC Maillist'

I am working on this ramoops feature too, and it works on ast2500, just enable some kernel config and modify the dts.

I will send out a patch about this change later.

Thanks,
Yong

@ 2019-09-30 18:06   ` Kun Yi
From: Kun Yi @ 2019-09-30 18:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vijay Khemka; +Cc: Joel Stanley, Andrew Jeffery, OpenBMC Maillist

Thanks for sharing Vijay. I guess we will look at kdump after netdump/ramoops.

@ 2019-09-30 18:08     ` Kun Yi
From: Kun Yi @ 2019-09-30 18:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yong Li; +Cc: Vijay Khemka, Joel Stanley, Andrew Jeffery, OpenBMC Maillist

On Sun, Sep 29, 2019 at 12:47 AM Yong Li <yong.b.li@linux.intel.com> wrote:

> I am working on this ramoops feature too, and it works on ast2500, just enable some kernel config and modify the dts.

Thanks for sharing, Yong Li. I have yet to look into this option.
Would you be able to share how much RAM you are using and how you
solve the persistent RAM problem?

@ 2019-09-30 20:21       ` Neeraj Ladkani
From: Neeraj Ladkani @ 2019-09-30 20:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kun Yi, Yong Li; +Cc: Andrew Jeffery, OpenBMC Maillist, Vijay Khemka

Any data on how heavy is RamOops ( w.r.t memory ) ?

mem=128M ramoops.mem_address=0x8000000 ramoops.ecc=1

Neeraj

> I am working on this ramoops feature too, and it works on ast2500, just enable some kernel config and modify the dts.

Thanks for sharing, Yong Li. I have yet to look into this option.
Would you be able to share how much RAM you are using and how you solve the persistent RAM problem?

> I will send out a patch about this change later.
>
> Thanks,
> Yong

Kun