* Re: RME HDSPe AIO
       [not found] <mailman.2708.1257713283.2074.alsa-devel@alsa-project.org>
@ 2009-11-08 21:30 ` Demian Martin
From: Demian Martin @ 2009-11-08 21:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: alsa-devel

Flo,

Why do you say "No. This is a pro audio card and it's full potential cannot
be used with ALSA."? What is there in Alsa that will restrict the use of the
card (or any card) for pro audio use?

The Trinnov room correction system which is a pro market product uses
Hammerfall cards and Alsa to do some very ambitious pro audio functions for
example.

Demian Martin
Product Design Services

From: Florian Faber @ 2009-11-09  9:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Demian Martin; +Cc: alsa-devel

Demian,

> The Trinnov room correction system which is a pro market product uses
> Hammerfall cards and Alsa to do some very ambitious pro audio functions for
> example.

It is nice if everything works out for you. But there are other people
who need different things.

Flo
--

@ 2009-11-09 19:56     ` Jonathan Leonard
From: Jonathan Leonard @ 2009-11-09 19:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: alsa-devel

Florian, why can't you answer his technical question with specifics?  What
in ALSA prevents professional use?  There is a culture out there that
'worships' whatever professional means without ever defining it.  It is
elitism and in a technical forum unforgivable.  Lets leave culture out of
driver discussions ok?  I asked for information about how to make the AIO
work in ALSA and I have received ZERO useful information and instead got
discouraging and arrogant responses.  I feel like I am being neutralized
here.  The soundcard matrix contains no entries for the AIO, so one can only
conclude ambiguity.

I am willing to try and help, but without useful information it is difficult
to proceed.

The HDSPe hostcard works great with the multiface.  I am working on the
assumption that if the card can be identified differently, there will be a
similar level of functionality.  There is also the benefit of hdspmixer and
hdspconf, both which work fine with HDSPe hostcard and multiface.  If there
is a reason this is not appropriate, technically, that can be validated I
would like to hear it.  Otherwise if ALSA and the operating system can be
adjusted to load the snd-hdsp module instead, I would like to know how to
make this accommodation and how to compile ALSA to make this possible.  I
have great hopes for a snd-hdspm module that will support all the new gear,
but that may never happen.  In the meantime, I think it is acceptable to use
the existing module even if it is not perfect.  If perfection were a
requirement ALSA would not have gotten very far and neither would science.

So again I will try and ask the experts of ALSA development how to make
these accommodations.

jonathan adams leonard

On Mon, Nov 9, 2009 at 1:55 AM, Florian Faber <faber@faberman.de> wrote:

> Demian,
>
> > The Trinnov room correction system which is a pro market product uses
> > Hammerfall cards and Alsa to do some very ambitious pro audio functions
> for
> > example.
>
> It is nice if everything works out for you. But there are other people
> who need different things.
>

> Flo

* Re: RME HDSPe AIO
@ 2009-11-10  9:52     ` Pavel Hofman
From: Pavel Hofman @ 2009-11-10  9:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Florian Faber; +Cc: alsa-devel

Florian Faber wrote:
> Demian,
>
>> The Trinnov room correction system which is a pro market product uses
>> Hammerfall cards and Alsa to do some very ambitious pro audio functions for
>> example.
>
> It is nice if everything works out for you. But there are other people
> who need different things.
>

> Flo

Florian,

How do users of this card benefit from alsa not supporting this card?
Which special features of the card is alsa  not able to support?

Thanks,

Pavel.

* Re: RME HDSPe AIO
@ 2009-11-08 20:00   ` Jonathan Leonard
From: Jonathan Leonard @ 2009-11-08 20:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: alsa-devel

Hi Florian, I think I will keep trying thanks anyhow.

jonathan adams leonard

@ 2009-11-08 19:44 ` Florian Faber
From: Florian Faber @ 2009-11-08 19:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jonathan Leonard; +Cc: alsa-devel

Jonathan,

> The AIO is purported to be very similar to the 9632 and should be using the
> snd-hdsp module.

No. It has the hdspe core and should be used as such.

> I would like to use this card in ALSA,

That's nice, but you should have checked before buying the card. The AIO
is not supported.

> Besides my individual circumstance I wonder if ALSA should not be
> accomodating this great card somehow.

No. This is a pro audio card and it's full potential cannot be used with
ALSA.

Flo
--
Machines can do the work, so people have time to think.
public key DA43FEF4          x-hkp://wwwkeys.eu.pgp.net

* RME HDSPe AIO
@ 2009-11-08 19:38 Jonathan Leonard
From: Jonathan Leonard @ 2009-11-08 19:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: alsa-devel

Hello, I am writing in regards to the RME HDSPe AIO card and its support in
ALSA.  The card itself in 64studio is recognized incorrectly as HDSP MADI
rev d4.

Running lspci -nn shows this line for the device:

02:00.0 Multimedia audio controller [0401]: Xilinx Corporation RME
Hammerfall DSP MADI [10ee:3fc6] (rev d4)

ALSA in 64studio 3.0 beta 3 loads snd-hdspm incorrectly when it should be

I have reviewed pcitables and pci.ids on this distro, and also the public
pci reference and the above device id is currently assigned to:

Multimedia audio controller: Xilinx Corporation RME Hammerfall DSP MADI (rev
d4)

The AIO is purported to be very similar to the 9632 and should be using the
snd-hdsp module.

I would like to use this card in ALSA, and have begun reviewing the guide
for making ALSA drivers, but am not sure how exactly to fix the matter since
the manufacturer has not incremented the id, or they have not assigned the
same id as a 9632.  This device is recognized and functioning perfectly on
the XP partition.

Besides my individual circumstance I wonder if ALSA should not be
accomodating this great card somehow.

Let me know if I can help by contacting RME developers for info or
otherwise.

Thank you,

jonathan adams leonard