* sysfsutils, aka systool, candidate for inclusion in util-linux-ng
@ 2017-03-17 17:47 Xose Vazquez Perez
From: Xose Vazquez Perez @ 2017-03-17 17:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Karel Zak, Ananth Mavinakayanahalli, Daniel Stekloff, util-linux

Background: unmaintained since ten years, included in
enterprise distributions and widely used with plenty of
downloads: https://sourceforge.net/projects/linux-diag/files/sysfsutils/stats/timeline?dates=2003-07-01++to+2017-03-17

$HOME: https://linux-diag.sf.net/Sysfsutils.html
Source code: https://sf.net/projects/linux-diag/files/sysfsutils/

Thank you.

* Re: sysfsutils, aka systool, candidate for inclusion in util-linux-ng
@ 2017-03-18 19:41 ` Sami Kerola
From: Sami Kerola @ 2017-03-18 19:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Xose Vazquez Perez
  Cc: Karel Zak, Ananth Mavinakayanahalli, Daniel Stekloff, util-linux

On 17 March 2017 at 17:47, Xose Vazquez Perez <xose.vazquez@gmail.com> wrote:

> Background: unmaintained since ten years, included in
> enterprise distributions and widely used with plenty of
> downloads: https://sourceforge.net/projects/linux-diag/files/sysfsutils/stats/timeline?dates=2003-07-01++to+2017-03-17
>

> $HOME: https://linux-diag.sf.net/Sysfsutils.html
> Source code: https://sf.net/projects/linux-diag/files/sysfsutils/

Good proposal, and after quick test to migrate sysfsutils to
util-linux this seems
do-able. But before proceeding any further I want to hear from Karel and old
sysfsutils maintainer if the project merge what is wanted.

  git://github.com/kerolasa/lelux-utiliteetit.git sysfsutils

If yes next steps:

1. polish libsysfs, add for example .sym file
2. polish systool, add translations, and other standard util-linux
conventions, such as atexit hook, xmalloc usage, and so on
3. figure out what should be done with dlist_test, get_device,
get_driver, and get_module
4. add tests, and make _PART_SYS_SYSTEM stuff work
5. without a doubt something other as well
6. send a pull month or two later

--
Sami Kerola
http://www.iki.fi/kerolasa/

* Re: sysfsutils, aka systool, candidate for inclusion in util-linux-ng
@ 2017-03-18 19:58   ` Xose Vazquez Perez
From: Xose Vazquez Perez @ 2017-03-18 19:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sami Kerola, Karel Zak, Ananth Mavinakayanahalli,
	Daniel Stekloff, Mohan Kumar, Nitin Vashisth
  Cc: util-linux

On 03/18/2017 08:41 PM, Sami Kerola wrote:

> On 17 March 2017 at 17:47, Xose Vazquez Perez <xose.vazquez@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Background: unmaintained since ten years, included in
>> enterprise distributions and widely used with plenty of
>> downloads: https://sourceforge.net/projects/linux-diag/files/sysfsutils/stats/timeline?dates=2003-07-01++to+2017-03-17
>>

>> $HOME: https://linux-diag.sf.net/Sysfsutils.html  <--- HTTPS broken!!
>> $HOME: http://linux-diag.sf.net/Sysfsutils.html
>> Source code: https://sf.net/projects/linux-diag/files/sysfsutils/
>
> Good proposal, and after quick test to migrate sysfsutils to
> util-linux this seems
> do-able. But before proceeding any further I want to hear from Karel and old
> sysfsutils maintainer if the project merge what is wanted.
>
>   git://github.com/kerolasa/lelux-utiliteetit.git sysfsutils
>
> If yes next steps:
>
> 1. polish libsysfs, add for example .sym file
> 2. polish systool, add translations, and other standard util-linux
> conventions, such as atexit hook, xmalloc usage, and so on
> 3. figure out what should be done with dlist_test, get_device,
> get_driver, and get_module
> 4. add tests, and make _PART_SYS_SYSTEM stuff work
> 5. without a doubt something other as well
> 6. send a pull month or two later

Cced the rest of the sysfsutils crew.

* Re: sysfsutils, aka systool, candidate for inclusion in util-linux-ng
@ 2017-03-20 20:11     ` Daniel Stekloff
From: Daniel Stekloff @ 2017-03-20 20:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Xose Vazquez Perez
  Cc: Sami Kerola, Karel Zak, Ananth Mavinakayanahalli,
	Daniel Stekloff, Mohan Kumar, Nitin Vashisth, util-linux

Thank you for contacting me even though I haven't worked with sysfsutils
for a very long time. I'm honestly a little surprised it is still used.

I think the proposal is good. Please let me know if you need my assistance
with anything.

On Sat, Mar 18, 2017 at 12:58 PM, Xose Vazquez Perez <xose.vazquez@gmail.com

@ 2017-03-21  4:23     ` Ananth N Mavinakayanahalli
From: Ananth N Mavinakayanahalli @ 2017-03-21  4:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Xose Vazquez Perez; +Cc: Sami Kerola, Karel Zak, Daniel Stekloff, util-linux

On Sat, Mar 18, 2017 at 08:58:41PM +0100, Xose Vazquez Perez wrote:
> On 03/18/2017 08:41 PM, Sami Kerola wrote:
>
> > On 17 March 2017 at 17:47, Xose Vazquez Perez <xose.vazquez@gmail.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> Background: unmaintained since ten years, included in
> >> enterprise distributions and widely used with plenty of
> >> downloads: https://sourceforge.net/projects/linux-diag/files/sysfsutils/stats/timeline?dates=2003-07-01++to+2017-03-17
> >>

> >> $HOME: https://linux-diag.sf.net/Sysfsutils.html  <--- HTTPS broken!!
> >> $HOME: http://linux-diag.sf.net/Sysfsutils.html
> >> Source code: https://sf.net/projects/linux-diag/files/sysfsutils/
> >
> > Good proposal, and after quick test to migrate sysfsutils to
> > util-linux this seems
> > do-able. But before proceeding any further I want to hear from Karel and old
> > sysfsutils maintainer if the project merge what is wanted.
> >
> >   git://github.com/kerolasa/lelux-utiliteetit.git sysfsutils
> >
> > If yes next steps:
> >
> > 1. polish libsysfs, add for example .sym file
> > 2. polish systool, add translations, and other standard util-linux
> > conventions, such as atexit hook, xmalloc usage, and so on
> > 3. figure out what should be done with dlist_test, get_device,
> > get_driver, and get_module
> > 4. add tests, and make _PART_SYS_SYSTEM stuff work
> > 5. without a doubt something other as well
> > 6. send a pull month or two later
>
> Cced the rest of the sysfsutils crew.

While I wrote large parts of the code about 13/14 years ago, I haven't
worked on it for over a decade. If it is being used as is, that's good
to know. Let me know if anything specific is needed from my end.

Regards,
Ananth

* Re: sysfsutils, aka systool, candidate for inclusion in util-linux-ng
@ 2017-03-21 12:14   ` Karel Zak
From: Karel Zak @ 2017-03-21 12:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kerolasa; +Cc: util-linux

On Sat, Mar 18, 2017 at 07:41:53PM +0000, Sami Kerola wrote:
> On 17 March 2017 at 17:47, Xose Vazquez Perez <xose.vazquez@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Background: unmaintained since ten years, included in
> > enterprise distributions and widely used with plenty of
> > downloads: https://sourceforge.net/projects/linux-diag/files/sysfsutils/stats/timeline?dates=2003-07-01++to+2017-03-17
> >

> > $HOME: https://linux-diag.sf.net/Sysfsutils.html
> > Source code: https://sf.net/projects/linux-diag/files/sysfsutils/
>
> Good proposal, and after quick test to migrate sysfsutils to
> util-linux this seems
> do-able. But before proceeding any further I want to hear from Karel and old
> sysfsutils maintainer if the project merge what is wanted.

The question is if maintain it again is the right reaction to the
current agony. Maybe death is better solution.

I don't think it's widely used and IMHO it's probably used for trivial
things like write/read from sysfs.

For example we have for work with /sys/block a file lib/sysfs.c in
utils-linux. Not sure if for something like this is necessary to have
shared library.

    Karel

--
 Karel Zak  <kzak@redhat.com>
 http://karelzak.blogspot.com

* Re: sysfsutils, aka systool, candidate for inclusion in util-linux-ng
@ 2017-03-25 18:28     ` Sami Kerola
From: Sami Kerola @ 2017-03-25 18:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Karel Zak; +Cc: util-linux

On 21 March 2017 at 12:14, Karel Zak <kzak@redhat.com> wrote:
> The question is if maintain it again is the right reaction to the
> current agony. Maybe death is better solution.
>
> I don't think it's widely used and IMHO it's probably used for trivial
> things like write/read from sysfs.
>
> For example we have for work with /sys/block a file lib/sysfs.c in
> utils-linux. Not sure if for something like this is necessary to have
> shared library.

I did a little bit more research what sysfsutils provides and who are
using it. 'Do not use libsysfs' in kernel documentation[1] is pretty
convincing hint this library should be left to be in state it is. Secondly
the list of projects I was able to find[2] had either migrated away
from the libsysfs or died.

I was able to find one exception,  iputils arping command. I sent
change to iputils maintainer that will remove libsysfs stuff moment
ago, so lets hope that will be sorted in future release.

TL;DR. not including sysfsutils to util-linux is the right thing.

[1] https://raw.githubusercontent.com/torvalds/linux/master/Documentation/admin-guide/sysfs-rules.rst
[2] https://www.archlinux.org/packages/core/i686/sysfsutils/

--
Sami Kerola