* pushing a delete-only commit consumes too much traffic
@ 2018-01-25 14:15 Basin Ilya
From: Basin Ilya @ 2018-01-25 14:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: git

Hi list.
I had a 60Mb worth of unneeded jar files in the project. I created a new branch and performed `git rm` on them. Now while I was pushing the change the counter of sent data
reached 80Mb. Why is that?

* RE: pushing a delete-only commit consumes too much traffic
@ 2018-01-25 14:24 ` Randall S. Becker
From: Randall S. Becker @ 2018-01-25 14:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Basin Ilya', git

On January 25, 2018 9:15 AM, Basin Ilya wrote:

> I had a 60Mb worth of unneeded jar files in the project. I created a new
> branch and performed `git rm` on them. Now while I was pushing the change
> the counter of sent data reached 80Mb. Why is that?

Can you provide more info? Were the 60Mb of jars previously pushed in a commit that already existed on the upstream? Was the delete an actual removal of history or did you commit with the jars deleted, then pushed? Did you do a merge squash or delete branch to effect the removal. More info please.

Cheers,
Randall

-- Brief whoami:
  NonStop developer since approximately NonStop(211288444200000000)
  UNIX developer since approximately 421664400
-- In my real life, I talk too much.

* Re: pushing a delete-only commit consumes too much traffic
@ 2018-01-25 15:07   ` Basin Ilya
From: Basin Ilya @ 2018-01-25 15:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Randall S. Becker, git

> Were the 60Mb of jars previously pushed in a commit that already existed on the upstream?
yes

> Was the delete an actual removal of history or did you commit with the jars deleted, then pushed?
I committed with the jars deleted

> Did you do a merge squash or delete branch to effect the removal.
No

@ 2018-01-26  1:56     ` Randall S. Becker
From: Randall S. Becker @ 2018-01-26  1:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Basin Ilya', git

So the point here is that the jars are still in the repository. They are deleted in your branch, but any objects depending on others (without a lot more information on your exact repository structure) may cause packed objects to be sent upstream. The delete is local to your branch, but the delete does not mean the objects are actually removed from your repository. To actually effect a removal, the objects would need to be no longer accessible, thus git gc would remove them permanently. That may be difficult depending on security on your upstream repository and what you are able to do there. So:

If A has no jars, B has the jars and has A as its parent, and C has no jars, but has B as its parent, then B is still accessible and the jars still exist in the repository but only not at the HEAD of your branch. Your tree may vary. How a push gets objects from your repository to your upstream depends on more information that I have but the point is that the jars still exist in a distributed sense. Your repository state and the upstream repository state do not need to be (and are likely not) identical.