* NAND FLASH
@ 2002-06-21  9:44 Steve Tsai
From: Steve Tsai @ 2002-06-21  9:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

I try to use nand flash driver to my board, but it seems fail to do some
operations. I just can get chip ID, but I can not read data or program
data. I use GPIO to control CLE and ALE and connect WE, RE and CE to
procesor. Is it right? Does anyone have sample code to test NAND flash?
Thank.

Steve TSai

* NAND flash
@ 2003-10-09 15:04 Eugeny Mints
From: Eugeny Mints @ 2003-10-09 15:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-mtd; +Cc: Dmitry Pervushin

Hello,

Could anybody help me to solve such a problem with JFFS2 and NAND flash:
- the NAND flash Toshiba TC58256AFTI
- kernel 2.4.22 with latest MTD and JFFS2
- handy-written miniport for the paticular flash chip

The device works OK almost in any case, but when I try to execute  while
true; do dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/mnt/foo count=1000; done after 10-15
minutes the system hangs; I cannot login from console or via telnet, but
it is still ping'able. I tried to use YAFFS, perform dd to device itself
instead of file on the filesystem on top of flash - no hangs were
observed.

Could anybody help me, please?
--
cheers, dmitry pervushin

* NAND flash
@ 2001-10-16 15:34 Larry Doolittle
From: Larry Doolittle @ 2001-10-16 15:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-mtd

Steven J. Hill wrote:
> First of all, the NAND FLASH driver was written for raw NAND flash
> chips that were IO mapped into the address space.
> SmartMedia is an entirely different beast in that has a some hardware
> between the CPU and the NAND flash chips inside. It is similar to
> Disk-On-Chip devices which use NAND/NOR flash with wear-leveling,
> error correcting and other things done transparently in the hardware.

I think you should double check that assertion.  My understanding is
that the "Smart" in the name is a bug.  These are actually NAND chips,
consumer-grade packaged, standardized, and marketed, with no smarts at
all.  So you _could_ use the nand.c driver, with the right interface-
specific wrapper layer to get at the device.

Unfortunately, the result would not be content-compatible with other
SmartMedia users, because SmartMedia also has a standard for encoding
blocks on the nand chips.  I tried to read that standard, but the PDF
file is encrypted in a way that is incompatible with xpdf-0.92.  The
URL for that reference material has been posted here before, it's
 http://www.ssfdc.or.jp/spec/english/

      - Larry

* NAND flash
@ 2001-10-16 13:53 nagaraj trivedi
From: nagaraj trivedi @ 2001-10-16 13:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-mtd

Hello,
   can I use the MTD NAND FLASH driver for smartmedia along with the jffs2? Does jffs2 work with the MTD NAND flash driver ?

* NAND flash
@ 2001-10-16 13:51 nagaraj trivedi
From: nagaraj trivedi @ 2001-10-16 13:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-mtd