* Bad block on IDE drive causes it to be kicked out of the array
@ 2002-07-08  3:51 Chris Chabot
From: Chris Chabot @ 2002-07-08  3:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-raid

I have two raid 5 arrays here on IDE drives (each consiting out of 4 IDE
disks).

The first drive in the second array has 6 bad sectors / bad blocks on it,
and during reconstruction after creating the array these bad blocks are
found, and the disk is kicked out of the array (and the initial background
resync is terminated).

The rest of the disk is just fine, and its had these bad blocks since who
knows how long without any problems

is there any way to create the array, and just mark these blocks bad in the
file system, as you would with a 'normal' drive?

Any info is greatly apreciated,

(ps, i did find some emails on the list about the same problem w/ scsi
drives, but low level formatting the drive and causing the blocks to be
relocated by the scsi hardware solved the problem there.. unfortunatly that
dont work for my IDE drives ;-/)

    -- Chris

* Re: Bad block on IDE drive causes it to be kicked out of the array
@ 2002-07-08  8:16 ` Neil Brown
From: Neil Brown @ 2002-07-08  8:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chris Chabot; +Cc: linux-raid

On Monday July 8, chabotc@xs4all.nl wrote:

> is there any way to create the array, and just mark these blocks bad in the
> file system, as you would with a 'normal' drive?

No.

(if you use raid5, you care about your data, and if you care about
your data, you don't use a drive with bad blocks.  Atleast, that is my
logic.)

NeilBrown

* Re: Bad block on IDE drive causes it to be kicked out of the array
@ 2002-07-08 10:26 ` Danilo Godec
From: Danilo Godec @ 2002-07-08 10:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chris Chabot; +Cc: linux-raid

On Mon, 8 Jul 2002, Chris Chabot wrote:

> is there any way to create the array, and just mark these blocks bad in the
> file system, as you would with a 'normal' drive?

Not on RAID5. At least no easy way... You could possibly find out which
filesystem blocks lay on the physically bad blocks and you could probably
mark them as bad on the filesystem level.

   D.

* Invalid argument error on raid5 create
@ 2002-07-08 23:57   ` bo
From: bo @ 2002-07-08 23:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Neil Brown; +Cc: linux-raid

Neil,

I am trying to create the RAID 5 array with

>mdadm -C /dev/md0 -l5 -n6 -x1 -prs /dev/hd[bcdefgh]

However, I am getting the following error message;

>mdadm: RUN_ARRAY failed: Invalid argument

Because I used these devices as raid1, I ran ">mdadm --zero-superblock
/dev/hdx" on all of these
devices. But no help. Even I tried with "mkraid & raidtab" it still has the
same error.
Also, I tried with -f option, and with or without space between option and
its value on mdadm -C.

All of these devices are used as the whole disk without partition.

I had no problem with RAID 0 or 1.

Any clue?

Thanks,

Bo

* Re: Invalid argument error on raid5 create
@ 2002-07-09  5:01     ` Neil Brown
From: Neil Brown @ 2002-07-09  5:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: bo; +Cc: linux-raid

On Monday July 8, bo@sosnetwork.net wrote:
> Neil,
>
> I am trying to create the RAID 5 array with
>
> >mdadm -C /dev/md0 -l5 -n6 -x1 -prs /dev/hd[bcdefgh]
>
> However, I am getting the following error message;
>
> >mdadm: RUN_ARRAY failed: Invalid argument

..

> Any clue?

Maybe the raid5 personality isn't loaded into the kernel...
What does
  cat /proc/mdstat
say?
Are there any message in
   dmesg
after the failure?

NeilBrown

* Re: Invalid argument error on raid5 create
@ 2002-07-10 23:07       ` bo
From: bo @ 2002-07-10 23:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Neil Brown; +Cc: linux-raid

Neil,

You are right.
I found my kernel image did not configure the RAID 5.

Thanks a lot,

Bo