* [U-Boot-Users] kernel 2.6 compile problem for TQM860L
@ 2004-11-09 18:03 Yigit Can
From: Yigit Can @ 2004-11-09 18:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

Hello,

I've stuck with the new kernel that I've downloaded from www.kernel.org .
I'm using the TQM860L board with eldk3 working on it.
I've downloaded the 2.6.9-rc3 kernel and tried to build with

make TQM860L_defconfig
make uImage

commands. I also set the Makefile for "CROSS_COMPILE = ppc_8xx-" and
"PLATFORM=ppc" switches

But the result is so many errors in uart related ( arch/ppc/8xx_io/uart.c )
file.
like
233 'info' undeclared ( first use in this function )
234 'name' undeclared ( first use in this function )

vs.

My question is why this kernel is not built with the default settings.
What am I doing wrong ?

Thank you.

Best Regards,

Yigit Can

Yigit Can
Karel Electronics Corp.
yigit.can at karel.com.tr

believed to be clean.

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

* [U-Boot-Users] kernel 2.6 compile problem for TQM860L
@ 2004-11-09 20:22 ` Wolfgang Denk
From: Wolfgang Denk @ 2004-11-09 20:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

Dear Yigit,

in message <002801c4c686$67466340$3002a8c0@yigitcan> you wrote:

> I've stuck with the new kernel that I've downloaded from www.kernel.org .
> I'm using the TQM860L board with eldk3 working on it.
> I've downloaded the 2.6.9-rc3 kernel and tried to build with
>
> make TQM860L_defconfig

I'm afraid I have to tell you that you done nearluy everything wrong.

First, this is completely off topic here. This mailing list is  about
U-Boot only.

Second, trying to use Linux 2.6 on a MPC8xx processor is  adventurous
at  best.  Ther  eare  known  (and  unfixed) problems with the memory
management.

Also, the TQM8xxL series of boards has not been  ported  to  2.6  yet
(and  I  dare  to say that it may take another 6 months before 2.6 is
stable enough that we will start any such effort).

> My question is why this kernel is not built with the default settings.
> What am I doing wrong ?

Everyting, and more...

> <HTML><HEAD>

This is yet another major error: Please NEVER post  HTML  to  mailing
lists, especially not to this one. Never!

Best regards,

Wolfgang Denk

--
See us @ Embedded/Electronica Munich, Nov 09 - 12, Hall A.6 Booth 513