* [Question] worktree vs. gitdir in [includeIf]
@ 2021-07-08 17:25 Randall S. Becker
From: Randall S. Becker @ 2021-07-08 17:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: git

Hi Git Team,

I am wondering whether there is, or are plans for, something analogous to [includeIf "worktree:path"] with a similar semantic to
[includeIf "gitdir:path"].

Thanks,
Randall

-- Brief whoami:
NonStop developer since approximately 211288444200000000
UNIX developer since approximately 421664400
-- In my real life, I talk too much.

* Re: [Question] worktree vs. gitdir in [includeIf]
@ 2021-07-08 18:11 ` Junio C Hamano
                     ` (2 more replies)
From: Junio C Hamano @ 2021-07-08 18:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Randall S. Becker; +Cc: git

"Randall S. Becker" <rsbecker@nexbridge.com> writes:

> I am wondering whether there is, or are plans for, something
> analogous to [includeIf "worktree:path"] with a similar semantic
> to [includeIf "gitdir:path"].

I do not think there currently is an implementation, nor a plan, but
I offhand do not see downsides in a feature to let you conditionally
enable some configuration based on the location of the worktree.

Thanks.

* RE: [Question] worktree vs. gitdir in [includeIf]
@ 2021-07-08 18:15   ` Randall S. Becker
From: Randall S. Becker @ 2021-07-08 18:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Junio C Hamano'; +Cc: git

On July 8, 2021 2:12 PM, Junio C Hamano wrote:
>"Randall S. Becker" <rsbecker@nexbridge.com> writes:
>
>> I am wondering whether there is, or are plans for, something analogous
>> to [includeIf "worktree:path"] with a similar semantic to [includeIf
>> "gitdir:path"].
>
>I do not think there currently is an implementation, nor a plan, but I offhand do not see downsides in a feature to let you
conditionally
>enable some configuration based on the location of the worktree.

Thanks. I'll start digging into this.

* RE: [Question] worktree vs. gitdir in [includeIf]
@ 2021-07-09 22:37   ` Randall S. Becker
From: Randall S. Becker @ 2021-07-09 22:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Junio C Hamano'; +Cc: git

On July 8, 2021 2:12 PM, Junio C Hamano wrote:
>To: Randall S. Becker <rsbecker@nexbridge.com>
>Cc: git@vger.kernel.org
>Subject: Re: [Question] worktree vs. gitdir in [includeIf]
>
>"Randall S. Becker" <rsbecker@nexbridge.com> writes:
>
>> I am wondering whether there is, or are plans for, something analogous
>> to [includeIf "worktree:path"] with a similar semantic to [includeIf
>> "gitdir:path"].
>
>I do not think there currently is an implementation, nor a plan, but I offhand do not see downsides in a feature to let you
conditionally
>enable some configuration based on the location of the worktree.

I'm scratching my head on this a bit. The [includeIf "onbranch:foo"] form is a bit confusing when dealing with a worktree. It looks
like the code either does not work if in a worktree or will get the branch of the main repo instead of the worktree ref. It looks
like include_by_branch() always returns 0 if in a worktree. Is there something being done in skip_prefix() or resolve_ref_unsafe()
that would deal with this?

Thanks,
Randall

* RE: [Question] worktree vs. gitdir in [includeIf]
@ 2021-07-12 22:22   ` Randall S. Becker
From: Randall S. Becker @ 2021-07-12 22:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Junio C Hamano'; +Cc: git

On July 8, 2021 2:12 PM,  Junio C Hamano wrote:
>Subject: Re: [Question] worktree vs. gitdir in [includeIf]
>"Randall S. Becker" <rsbecker@nexbridge.com> writes:
>
>> I am wondering whether there is, or are plans for, something analogous
>> to [includeIf "worktree:path"] with a similar semantic to [includeIf
>> "gitdir:path"].
>
>I do not think there currently is an implementation, nor a plan, but I offhand do not see downsides in a feature to let you
conditionally
>enable some configuration based on the location of the worktree.

I have a patch set available, but am having some issues convincing the combination of git, OpenSSL, and my ISP to talk to each
other. Specifically, I'm getting "ssl3_get_record:wrong version number", on every system I'm using. Probably an operator error. I
might have to manually post the patch files.