* ACPI on Dell Latitude C600
@ 2004-01-21 17:04 Tim Stadelmann
       [not found] ` <003e01c3e040$ab873700$03f101a3-JAjqph6Yjy8XSZKaUYBEcQ@public.gmane.org>
From: Tim Stadelmann @ 2004-01-21 17:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: acpi-devel-5NWGOfrQmneRv+LV9MX5uipxlwaOVQ5f

Dear all,

I've recently experimented with getting ACPI sleep states to work on my Dell
Latitude C600 (BIOS revision A21) using a 2.6.0 kernel and the latest
appropriate patch from acpi4linux.

With a minimal amount of kernel driver modules loaded, both S1 and S3 almost
work, with one interesting problem:

The computer displays messages indicating it is going into the appropriate
sleep state, then switches off most peripherals *except* for the screen and
backlight.  Pressing the power button causes it to resume, but now the
screen is switched *off* during this process.  Changing the virtual console
to the one used for X11 causes the X server to switch the screen back on and
the computer appears to be working properly afterwards.

The entries in the system log do not give any indication that something is
going wrong.

I wondered whether you might find this information helpful or have any idea
where the problem stems from...  Please do not hesitate to contact me for
more information if required, I'm quite keen to help makeing ACPI work
better, as I think poor power management support is one of the main things
holding Linux back at the moment.

                Regards,

                Tim Stadelmann

http://www.eclipsecon.org/osdn

* Re: ACPI on Dell Latitude C600
       [not found] ` <003e01c3e040$ab873700$03f101a3-JAjqph6Yjy8XSZKaUYBEcQ@public.gmane.org>
@ 2004-01-21 17:46   ` Nate Lawson
From: Nate Lawson @ 2004-01-21 17:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tim Stadelmann; +Cc: acpi-devel-5NWGOfrQmneRv+LV9MX5uipxlwaOVQ5f

On Wed, 21 Jan 2004, Tim Stadelmann wrote:
> With a minimal amount of kernel driver modules loaded, both S1 and S3 almost
> work, with one interesting problem:
>
> The computer displays messages indicating it is going into the appropriate
> sleep state, then switches off most peripherals *except* for the screen and
> backlight.  Pressing the power button causes it to resume, but now the
> screen is switched *off* during this process.  Changing the virtual console
> to the one used for X11 causes the X server to switch the screen back on and
> the computer appears to be working properly afterwards.

You've probably got an inverted value in your AML for the _PTS, _GTS
methods or some other device method (_S1D).  So nothing happens on
suspending and then waking (_WAK), you pass a 0 and it turns off the
display.

-Nate

@ 2004-01-23 15:58   ` Pavel Machek
From: Pavel Machek @ 2004-01-23 15:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tim Stadelmann; +Cc: acpi-devel-5NWGOfrQmneRv+LV9MX5uipxlwaOVQ5f

Hi!

> I've recently experimented with getting ACPI sleep states to work on my Dell
> Latitude C600 (BIOS revision A21) using a 2.6.0 kernel and the latest
> appropriate patch from acpi4linux.
>
> With a minimal amount of kernel driver modules loaded, both S1 and S3 almost
> work, with one interesting problem:
>
> The computer displays messages indicating it is going into the appropriate
> sleep state, then switches off most peripherals *except* for the screen and
> backlight.  Pressing the power button causes it to resume, but now the
> screen is switched *off* during this process.  Changing the virtual console
> to the one used for X11 causes the X server to switch the screen back on and
> the computer appears to be working properly afterwards.

		Video issues with S3 resume
		~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
		     2003, Pavel Machek

During S3 resume, hardware needs to be reinitialized. For most
devices, this is easy, and kernel driver knows how to do
it. Unfortunately there's one exception: video card. Those are usually
initialized by BIOS, and kernel does not have enough information to
boot video card. (Kernel usually does not even contain video card
driver -- vesafb and vgacon are widely used).

This is not problem for swsusp, because during swsusp resume, BIOS is
run normally so video card is normally initialized.

There are three types of systems where video works after S3 resume:

* systems where video state is preserved over S3. (Athlon HP Omnibook xe3s)

* systems that initialize video card into vga text mode and where BIOS
  works well enough to be able to set video mode. Use
  acpi_sleep=s3_mode on these. (Toshiba 4030cdt)

* systems where it is possible to call video bios during S3
  resume. Unfortunately, it is not correct to call video BIOS at that
  point, but it happens to work on some machines. Use
  acpi_sleep=s3_bios (Athlon64 desktop system)

Now, if you pass acpi_sleep=something, and it does not work with your
bios, you'll get hard crash during resume. Be carefull.

You may have system where none of above works. At that point you
either invent another ugly hack that works, or write proper driver for
your video card (good luck getting docs :-(). Maybe suspending from X
(proper X, knowing your hardware, not XF68_FBcon) might have better
chance of working.

[Johanka's followup: and *two* hearts?]

@ 2004-01-24 17:09     ` Tim Stadelmann
       [not found]       ` <001c01c3e29c$e1f03fe0$03f101a3-JAjqph6Yjy8XSZKaUYBEcQ@public.gmane.org>
From: Tim Stadelmann @ 2004-01-24 17:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pavel Machek; +Cc: acpi-devel-5NWGOfrQmneRv+LV9MX5uipxlwaOVQ5f

> You may have system where none of above works. At that point you
> either invent another ugly hack that works, or write proper driver for
> your video card (good luck getting docs :-(). Maybe suspending from X
> (proper X, knowing your hardware, not XF68_FBcon) might have better
> chance of working.

In other words, software suspend (which has its own problems, and is rather
slow...) is the only chance of getting any kind of suspend mode to work
under Linux on ACPI-only laptops in the forseeable future?

@ 2004-01-24 17:35         ` Pavel Machek
From: Pavel Machek @ 2004-01-24 17:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tim Stadelmann; +Cc: acpi-devel-5NWGOfrQmneRv+LV9MX5uipxlwaOVQ5f

Hi!

> > Video issues with S3 resume

> > You may have system where none of above works. At that point you
> > either invent another ugly hack that works, or write proper driver for
> > your video card (good luck getting docs :-(). Maybe suspending from X
> > (proper X, knowing your hardware, not XF68_FBcon) might have better
> > chance of working.
>
> In other words, software suspend (which has its own problems, and is rather
> slow...) is the only chance of getting any kind of suspend mode to work
> under Linux on ACPI-only laptops in the forseeable future?

Yes, AFAICS.
								Pavel