* [cip-dev] Project-X (minimal root filesystem) for renesas board
@ 2017-06-28  7:04 Daniel Sangorrin
From: Daniel Sangorrin @ 2017-06-28  7:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cip-dev

Hi Koguchi-san,
Cc: Chris, cip-dev

I'm going to add support to project-X for the Renesas iwg20m board which is equipped with an armv7 chip.
I have noticed that you added support for beaglebone and cyclone on the deby-armv7 folder [1].

I have a few questions:
  - Why do you have two directories "linux-cip" and "linux-cip2" that are almost identical?
  - I can see some xserver-related definitions on the board's configuration file. Are those necessary?

Thanks,
Daniel

[1] https://gitlab.com/cip-playground/project-x/tree/master/deby-armv7

* [cip-dev] Project-X (minimal root filesystem) for renesas board
@ 2017-06-28  8:35 ` 小口琢夫 / KOGUCHI,TAKUO
From: 小口琢夫 / KOGUCHI,TAKUO @ 2017-06-28  8:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cip-dev

Hi Daniel-san,

> I have a few questions:
>   - Why do you have two directories "linux-cip" and "linux-cip2" that are almost identical?

linux-cip directory is for linux-4.4.55-cip3.
linux-cip2 is for the previous release and it is not necessary if you update linux-cip.

>   - I can see some xserver-related definitions on the board's configuration file. Are those
> necessary?
beaglebone.conf is based on poky/meta-yocto-bsp/conf/machine.  xserver-related definition was inculude in the original.  I am not sure if it is necessary.

Takuo Koguchi

@ 2017-06-28  8:51   ` Daniel Sangorrin
From: Daniel Sangorrin @ 2017-06-28  8:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cip-dev

Ho Koguchi-san

I think this is not a good approach. We would need to have a new linux-cip folder for each
release.

Patches for the cyclone board should be on its own CIP kernel repository (where you
can merge cip releases and add tags). Then, we can choose which version we want
by specifying the repository and tag/commit_id.

> >   - I can see some xserver-related definitions on the board's configuration file. Are those
> > necessary?
> beaglebone.conf is based on poky/meta-yocto-bsp/conf/machine.  xserver-related definition was inculude in the original.  I am not
> sure if it is necessary.

I don't think it is necessary since the CIP root filesystem only supports a few packages. Do you mind if I rewrite this and other
unnecessary definitions?

Thanks,
Daniel

@ 2017-06-28  9:07     ` 小口琢夫 / KOGUCHI,TAKUO
From: 小口琢夫 / KOGUCHI,TAKUO @ 2017-06-28  9:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cip-dev

Daniel-san,

> I think this is not a good approach. We would need to have a new linux-cip folder for each
> release.
Let make it clear. Will you please describe your recommendation?

> Patches for the cyclone board should be on its own CIP kernel repository (where you can
> merge cip releases and add tags). Then, we can choose which version we want by
> specifying the repository and tag/commit_id.
Good point.  But  CIP kernel repository is curerntly used for release assuming it is tested. And CycloneV is not supported by CIP at this moment. So I put the patches in the yocto project way.

> I don't think it is necessary since the CIP root filesystem only supports a few packages.
> Do you mind if I rewrite this and other unnecessary definitions?
I am happy if you go ahead and fix it!

Best regards,
Takuo Koguchi

@ 2017-06-29  0:37       ` Daniel Sangorrin
From: Daniel Sangorrin @ 2017-06-29  0:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cip-dev

Hi Koguchi-san,

Yes, please see below.

> > Patches for the cyclone board should be on its own CIP kernel repository (where you can
> > merge cip releases and add tags). Then, we can choose which version we want by
> > specifying the repository and tag/commit_id.
> Good point.  But  CIP kernel repository is curerntly used for release assuming it is tested. And CycloneV is not supported by CIP at this
> moment. So I put the patches in the yocto project way.

I didn't mean to put it on Ben's CIP repository rather on github. This way you can better maintain your "out-of-tree" cyclone V patches
and merge (do not rebase please) changes from Ben's CIP kernel regularly. In other words, do the same as Renesas is doing at [1].

[1] https://github.com/renesas-rz/renesas-cip

> > I don't think it is necessary since the CIP root filesystem only supports a few packages.
> > Do you mind if I rewrite this and other unnecessary definitions?
> I am happy if you go ahead and fix it!

OK, thanks. I will also separate Beaglebone from Cyclone V.

Thanks,
Daniel

@ 2017-06-29  8:21         ` Agustin Benito Bethencourt
From: Agustin Benito Bethencourt @ 2017-06-29  8:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cip-dev

Hi,

On 29/06/17 02:37, Daniel Sangorrin wrote:
> Hi Koguchi-san,

In order to have all the cip related code in one place, it would be
good, if anybody is using github, that at least there is a mirror of
that repo in gitlab. When we start automating builds/test, that would be
helpful.

agustin.benito at codethink.co.uk

* [cip-dev] Project-X (minimal root filesystem) for renesas board
@ 2017-07-07  2:40           ` Daniel Sangorrin
From: Daniel Sangorrin @ 2017-07-07  2:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cip-dev

Hi Agustin, Chris

Agustin: I don't mind, but is this necessary?.
Chris: Will you create another repository for u-boot?

Thanks,
Daniel

@ 2017-07-07  8:54             ` Agustin Benito Bethencourt
From: Agustin Benito Bethencourt @ 2017-07-07  8:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cip-dev

Hi,

On 07/07/17 04:40, Daniel Sangorrin wrote:
> Hi Agustin, Chris

Necessary? not in my opinion. I think that development should take place
whenever is best for the developers.

Two considerations:

TSC agreed to use Gitlab for mainly one reason: services built with
gitlab can be replicated by Members in-house. That is not the case for
GitHub.

Once the code is developed and the developer want to distribute it in
the context of the CIP, CIP needs to host the source code and the
binaries for compliance reasons. In that case having a mirror in GitLab
would be a requirement.

agustin.benito at codethink.co.uk

* [cip-dev] Project-X (minimal root filesystem) for renesas board
@ 2017-07-07 13:16               ` KOBAYASHI Yoshitake
From: KOBAYASHI Yoshitake @ 2017-07-07 13:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cip-dev

On 2017/07/07 17:54, Agustin Benito Bethencourt wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 07/07/17 04:40, Daniel Sangorrin wrote:
>> Hi Agustin, Chris

I agree with you. But I have a consideration for current status for renesas-cip repository.
I think the current repository is under development. It looks Renesas's upstreaming effort for CIP. We can refer the repository to test the CIP kernel with Renesas backported patches on Renesas RZ/G as one of CIP reference board.
In this case, the repository can be mirroed Renesas's account or cip-playground on GitLab. But I also think GitHub (or any other place) is still an option for them, if it is under development.
Once the backported patches succesfully merged with linux-cip, we can use linux-cip on GitLab to test the Renesas RZ/G.

Best regards,
Yoshi

@ 2017-08-03 13:18             ` Chris Paterson
From: Chris Paterson @ 2017-08-03 13:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cip-dev

Hello Daniel, all,

Sorry for the delay.

u-boot source for the RZ/G1-M iWave platform is now available [1].

We've tested this using the gcc-arm-none-eabi-5_4-2016q3 [2] compiler:

export PATH=/opt/gcc-arm-none-eabi-5_4-2016q3/bin:$PATH
export CROSS_COMPILE=arm-none-eabi-
export ARCH=arm
make iwg20m_q7_config
make

The u-boot binary can be loaded onto the platform using JTAG or by writing it to the eMMC (be very careful though as this overwrites the current u-boot, so if it goes wrong you'll need JTAG to un-brick the board). Instructions can be found in the Software User Guide included on the CD which comes with the platform.

[1] https://github.com/renesas-rz/renesas-u-boot-cip/tree/2013.01.01/rzg1-iwave
[2] https://developer.arm.com/open-source/gnu-toolchain/gnu-rm/downloads

Kind regards, Chris

@ 2017-08-04  7:18               ` Daniel Sangorrin
From: Daniel Sangorrin @ 2017-08-04  7:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cip-dev

Hi Chris,

Thank you!

I have updated the project-x with the u-boot definitions.
I'm a bit scared of bricking the board and not being able to recover because
I probably don't have an appropriate JTAG ICE/cable. For that reason, I will
leave the flashing part for the future.

Thanks,
Daniel