* ENC: How to detect USB camera disconnection?
@ 2009-08-20 16:54 Nilo Roberto C Paim
From: Nilo Roberto C Paim @ 2009-08-20 16:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: video4linux-list

Hi, all.

I've a Vimicro USB cam that I'm constantly pooling for taking snapshots
using an application made by me. How can I programmatically detect when the
cam is disconnected?

It seems to me that V4L "thinks" that the cam is still there, even with the
cable disconnected.

Any hints?

--- >  I'd forgot to say: the driver I'm using is gspca, last version. Works
like a charm. My problem is related to cable's cam disconnected.

Nilo Roberto C Paim

nilopaim@gmail.com

TinyCOBOL - Equipe de Desenvolvimento

Porto Alegre - RS - Brasil

* Re: How to detect USB camera disconnection?
@ 2009-08-21  8:39 ` Jean-Francois Moine
From: Jean-Francois Moine @ 2009-08-21  8:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nilo Roberto C Paim; +Cc: video4linux-list

On Thu, 20 Aug 2009 13:54:26 -0300
"Nilo Roberto C Paim" <nilopaim@gmail.com> wrote:

> I've a Vimicro USB cam that I'm constantly pooling for taking
> snapshots using an application made by me. How can I programmatically
> detect when the cam is disconnected?
>
> It seems to me that V4L "thinks" that the cam is still there, even
> with the cable disconnected.
>
> --- >  I'd forgot to say: the driver I'm using is gspca, last
> version. Works like a charm. My problem is related to cable's cam
> disconnected.

Hi Nilo,

I don't know how you poll. Normally, when the webcam is disconnected,
the I/O calls should fail with errno = NODEV.

Cheers.

--
Ken ar c'hentañ	|	      ** Breizh ha Linux atav! **
Jef		|		http://moinejf.free.fr/