* RFC: set RELATED?
@ 2003-08-06  0:44 George
From: George @ 2003-08-06  0:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: netfilter

I think that I sent this message on 25 July 03 but did not receive any replies.  Please resubmit or explain what happened to the first posting.
Is there currently a way for iptables to force another packet stream conntrack entry to a RELATED state without having to look inside of the packet data?

For example:  If a 10.0.0.2 client behind an iptables firewall were to send an IMCP echo to 10.20.30.1, could a rule be set up so that after the firewall see this packet, all udp packets sent to dport=45678 would be DNATed to 10.0.0.2?

The designated RELATED stream would in general then be just like any other conntrack entry.  This way designated external streams could be designated RELATED by matching a related module filter.

Right now I am looking at ZSNES which after an inside computer sends UDP packets to port 7845 it then needs to receive UDP packets sent to port 7845 from the same host.  Therefore an option to use the destination and/or the source addresses in the RELATED designation would be useful.

My guess is that this would require a generic related iptables module.